• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smash Comics

24 posts in this topic

I picked up a copy of Smash Comics 63 yesterday at a comic show because, from my cursory glance at the contents and cover, I thought it had the Spirit in it. Then I got home and discovered the the Spirit is really "Midnight" and Ebony is really a monkey. (How racist is that!?)

So... what's the deal with "Midnight"? Is he a Spirit rip-off? I noticed the book had Lady Luck in it and I know she originated with Eisner's Spirit Sections in 1940.

I got a great price on the book, btw. It's in Good-. I got it with a Crime Patrol #9 in Good , both for $70, about 10-15% under guide for the two. I also picked up a nice, Fineish Weird Science 18 for $75. I'll post some scans in the next day or two.

So... what's the deal with "Midnight"? Is he a Spirit rip-off? I noticed the book had Lady Luck in it and I know she originated with Eisner's Spirit Sections in 1940.

Midnight was an intentional parody of the Spirit, done with Eisner's approval, and drawn by Jack Cole. I have one SMASH book in my collection(forget the number off the top of my head); the Midnight story is a lot of fun.

Also, Roy Thomas had some fun with Midnight as a Spirit stand-in during the pre-Crisis All Star Squadron. Since Eisner owns the Spirit rights, DC could not include the Spirit in the book, but Midnight was featured instead with some very Eisner-ish layouts and atmosphere.

I recall reading somewhere that Cole's Midnight is to the Spirit as Cole's Death Patrol is to the Blackhawks. That ring a bell with anyone?

Z.

I picked up a copy of Smash Comics 63 yesterday at a comic show because, from my cursory glance at the contents and cover, I thought it had the Spirit in it. Then I got home and discovered the the Spirit is really "Midnight" and Ebony is really a monkey. (How racist is that!?)

It just goes to show that the search function DOES work.

Just picked up my 1st ever Smash Comic and the same thing....I thought it was the Spirit on the cover. Then after reading I thought..."man this is a direct ripoff of the Spirit, how did they get away with it".

So, I did a search and you guys already answered the question three years in advance. Thanks.

Here's a scan of my book.

smash63.jpg

And I thought my copy was in bad shape. (Someone took a hole punch to the cover and many pages.)

How did you like the book? Read it yet? Recenty I've been contemplating purchasing more books in this run.

I used to own a few High grade Smash comics. I too originally thought it was the Spirit. Surprisingly a lot of dealers still do. I like the cover art on them but when you remove Eisner from the equation you lose the soul of the character and stories, even in a direct attempt at copying him.

Very nice pick up you should be very happy with it.

And I thought my copy was in bad shape. (Someone took a hole punch to the cover and many pages.)

How did you like the book? Read it yet? Recenty I've been contemplating purchasing more books in this run.

Picked this copy up with about 40 other "well read" GA issues...that did have some real Spirit stories(Police Comics). I've still got a lot of reading ahead of me, but I will be able to compare when I finish.

Oh, and someone mentioned how Midnight wasn't Politically Correct...well the one Spirit story that I have read so far "T'aint" PC either. gossip.gifdevil.gif

Picked this copy up with about 40 other "well read" GA issues...that did have some real Spirit stories(Police Comics). I've still got a lot of reading ahead of me, but I will be able to compare when I finish.

Oh, and someone mentioned how Midnight wasn't Politically Correct...well the one Spirit story that I have read so far "T'aint" PC either. gossip.gifdevil.gif

1940s comics are never going to be PC. That's why we love them, right? I mentioned the book being racist long ago. These books are racist, and the Spirit's portrayal of Ebony and others was racist. What I think prevents them from being offensive is the fact that they must be read as historical objects, with consideration for the mindset of the times. There's no way many of these books could be printed and distributed as pop culture today.

Wow.... what a great story! Jack Cole produced a lot of great work. Now I'm tempted to get some.

For anyone who doesn't have it, the 2001 Spiegelman/Kidd book on Cole & Plas is excellent. Reprints of more than just Plastic Man in a plastic binding--the book itself is a work of art.

... and I've seen it in remainder bins lately.

I have that book . what a great book if you love Cole , I agree totally!! Recommended!! should be in everybody's collection if you love Jack Cole. headbang.gif