How to spot restoration....?
25 25

303 posts in this topic

11,734 posts
On 7/30/2018 at 9:00 PM, CoyoteTwelve said:

I'm in a comic book pressers group and we had to toss a member for advocating cleaning a book with Hydrogen Peroxide diluted down. His rational was that it's ok because every book he sends into CGC or CBCS they don't catch it and he get's a Blue Label. Obviously CGC lists this as restoration if detected. I did a little online research and there is no way to spectrally see this form of restoration however there is a way to detect it in very minute amounts down to parts per billion. I am wondering if CGC needs to use a technique such as this to catch dishonest submitters. 

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/am1012535

I hate guys that always try to game the system. Nowadays, it's all about trying to get something past CGC. I also hate guys that game the system and brag about it. I think you should supply this guy's name. At least contact CGC about him. Perhaps they can ban him. 

6 posts

CGC also use the rating "Reconditioned" if there is a small piece of tape on a Golden Age comic....sometimes "Reconditioned" sometimes "Universal". I have six inconsistent ratings from them with tape on the cover used in the same way. Just put over ta  tear.

BTW the tape on the books is older then I am.  I agree with the lowering of the rating, but it is either reconditioned or universal and it should be lowered by the same rating consistently for the same condition

Of course the only resolve with CGC is to pay for another review. 

Be great if they could be address this issue as it has an effect on the trust in their ratings.

6,664 posts
On 8/27/2018 at 1:28 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, but there is no guarantee. Resto can still be caught by the graders. 

QC can catch that too.  Graders can work in any position if needed.