• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Bronze Romance Thread

602 posts in this topic

Hey, horror isn't the only cool thing from the 70s. Bronze Age Romance is pretty groovy as well. Talk about rare? Try putting together a long run of ANY bronze age romance title together. Next to impossible. Sure, the DC 100 pagers always pop up, but pick any other issue and see how easy it is to find in ANY grade. Sure, you'll see random issues here or there, or on Ebay or at cons, but I've been looking for years and I'm not finding many nice copies.

Great covers on these books too. Some may say they are cheesy but there is also a real 70s "innocence" in them. Alot of these books are sexy too, and many playing up the male/female stereotypes. I'd like to hear any thoughts on these books and especially like to hear from those that have actually read any of these stories, that is if you are willing to admit it.

763047-yr.jpg

763047-yr.jpg.e04eb003259485aae260fc301aec37ab.jpg

I can't believe i am going to say this, but......I have read a romance comic.

Two Marvel BA ones greggy sent to me (no, not a sticky stain in sight poke2.gif)

Pretty much all of the stories are the same plotline, only a few things change. All of you should broaden your horizons and read one, i guarantee 100% reading enjoyment 27_laughing.gif

Two Marvel BA ones greggy sent to me

A dude sending romance comics to another dude.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

The crazy thing is, i asked for them crazy.gif

You see, this is what I don't understand. The stigma that is put on these books. Sure, I realize that they were intended for a female audience and the stories are written from the female point of view. But take out "Love" or "Romance" from the titles and rename them something like "Going Out With Chicks" and who knows, maybe they'd be more acceptable to us dudes. I mean seriously, these books are mostly about dating, and isn't that one of our main focuses growing up, or even now for us single guys out there?

Some people joke about reading or collecting romance comics as being gay. Who knows, in some cases that may be true (certainly not in my case) but I see it more as comics that are more closely based in reality than any others. No superheroes, science fiction or the supernatural here, just girls with love problems and how to get along with their boyfriend's overpowering mother, etc.

Just like with the horror books I collect, I collect these books mostly for the covers, they are just cool. Plus, what genre of comics is more of a challenge to collect than these? If you want rare, try BA romance, and good luck.

763551-prison.jpg

763551-prison.jpg.b740504073c4d3a2228ccd3de9398378.jpg

I agree that Romance comics are too often overlooked or not taken seriously at all by many collectors. But when you consider the rarity of Bronze Romance, especially in the higher grades, and the appeal of the great covers, I'm glad there aren't a lot of folks out there to compete with to purchase these gems. I've talked with a couple of very knowledgeable collectors and dealers about Romance comics from the 70s, and most acknowledge that the Marvel titles and issues are as HTF in high grade, if not harder, than their DC counterparts. What other genre of comics can you say that about?

Here is one of my favorite covers from the era:

1113548590866_OLS18.JPG

Yes, I've noticed that as being true about the Marvels. So rare are they in anything but beat up condition that I haven't even started collected them, although I have looked. Yes, great covers on those too. I think that because there were so many DC titles, and longer ongoing series, that overall there are just more DC BA Romance books out there to choose from, at least in comparison to the Marvels. But even at that, I'd say that I have never even seen ANY copy of half the DC romance books that were published.

Great idea for a thread!

I don't collect romance comics myself. If they were readily available for cheap prices, I would, but they're not. I rarely see them in grade and know trying to assemble runs of these would be a formidable task. I have tackled some TOUGH titles in the past, but those days are gone given how prices have escalated. That being said, romance comics are fascinating as they are the flip side to the superhero genre that so dominates the hobby. I love seeing, also, what writers and artists like Lee, Steranko, Buscema, Romita, and others are doing besides superhero stuff during the bronze age. It's an overlooked and fascinating side to our hobby that I appreciate you experts sharing, both for educating the rest of us and for sparing us the money we'd have to spend to enjoy these if we had to buy them!

Joe

You see, this is what I don't understand. The stigma that is put on these books. Sure, I realize that they were intended for a female audience and the stories are written from the female point of view. But take out "Love" or "Romance" from the titles and rename them something like "Going Out With Chicks" and who knows, maybe they'd be more acceptable to us dudes. I mean seriously, these books are mostly about dating, and isn't that one of our main focuses growing up, or even now for us single guys out there?

Some people joke about reading or collecting romance comics as being gay. Who knows, in some cases that may be true (certainly not in my case) but I see it more as comics that are more closely based in reality than any others. No superheroes, science fiction or the supernatural here, just girls with love problems and how to get along with their boyfriend's overpowering mother, etc.

Just like with the horror books I collect, I collect these books mostly for the covers, they are just cool. Plus, what genre of comics is more of a challenge to collect than these? If you want rare, try BA romance, and good luck.

Just my inner 13 year old-level sense of humor surfacing. As always, I say collect what interests you.

But now, since you collect mostly for the covers, do you know if Liz (from your first post) is indeed a girl who wears comfortable shoes? Seems a bit of a risque topic for a mainstream comic from the 70s. Is the cover just a tease with Liz being just shy or something?

Big lot of DC romance, including DC 100 pager 5....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Hmmmm, interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone know if that Love Stories 100-page Super Spectacular #5 is the real one or the reprint?

I asked the seller for a larger scan, but haven't gotten a response yet. In any case, I am not going to get into a bidding war for a lot I would just flip anyways. If that 100 pager is real...and I think it is (notice the seller did not even put the issue # in the description, I am sure they just don't know what they have), that lot could be a pretty sweet deal. I would have bid myself, but too much $$$ for me.