• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need references on Albert Moy

93 posts in this topic

I don't deal with Albert regularly but it's always been pleasant.

Back when this topic was started, I thought the title was hilarious.

Because I thought we should be giving references TO Albert.

I've had the same problems with Albert. There was some art I wanted from him and I emailed him twice and called him once. Never a response. I had to find out second hand it was sold. Probably a good chance it's sold and he can't be bothered.

I would disagree, his communication has been straightforward, professional and prompt.

i have received many "sold" emails - what I think causes delay at times may be if multiple buyers request the same piece, he may go the 1st come 1st served route, but have to wait for buyer follow through to confirm payment rather than tell everyone after the 1st buyer who may subsequently default on payment, making the piece available to the next in line.

I've had the same problems with Albert. There was some art I wanted from him and I emailed him twice and called him once. Never a response. I had to find out second hand it was sold. Probably a good chance it's sold and he can't be bothered.

I would disagree, his communication has been straightforward, professional and prompt.

i have received many "sold" emails - what I think causes delay at times may be if multiple buyers request the same piece, he may go the 1st come 1st served route, but have to wait for buyer follow through to confirm payment rather than tell everyone after the 1st buyer who may subsequently default on payment, making the piece available to the next in line.

I still don't see the problem there. If it is "1st come 1st served" And you have multiple buyers, you go with the one who requested it first (emails do have a time stamp). You tell the others that it is now in negotiations, but you will contact them down the order they inquired, should this person fail to follow through. It's not that hard, unless he's got 20-30 people (or more) asking for the same piece.

It's odd there's a thread about a comic dealer whose been successfully operating for over a decade or more, and has always been consistent in his professionalism.

Sometimes there's spam filters for emails, other times life's emergencies derails business priorities, so, to complain about service levels which to me, at least has been very consistent, seems like "one off" abnormalities.

Albert is a straight shooter. He prices his pieces without factoring in room to negotiate for the most part, it "is what it is" so you don't have to feel you're going to Tijuana and getting hustled by a "this is what I price I want, but this is what price I'd be willing to take" type of situation. He's always send confirmations promptly, and if ever any delay, I just take it upon myself to re-communicate via email or phone. Most importantly, once payment is submitted, Albert fulfills his orders fast, so there's no lag between paying and receiving your merchandise, and he packs his art professionally to avoid damage.

He's always kind in person at the conventions and equally, his emails are courteous too.

I think the answer to the situation with multiple buyers vying for a piece is more business strategy to let i work itself out within 24-48 hours and nobody likes to be the bridesmaid, so if I'm 2nd or 3rd in line for the piece it's easier not to tell me that and have me wait a short bit than to tell me there's someone ahead of me, which may make me cancel my interest or buy something else and he loses the sale. It's like if you ask a friend out for Friday at 8pm and they tell you, I have other plans that are tentative, not confirmed, but if they fall through, I'll let you know and consider your invitation. Some folks feel that's fine, others take offense slightly and don't like to hear that, even if it's the truth, so the approach in communicating and giving the illusion of fairness and that every customer is your #1 priority is sort of subjective in how it's handled, no right or wrong necessarily it can be argued.

Yes... I am an Albert Moy satisfied customer and fan of his website, so vouch for his integrity.

Yep, Albert’s reputation as one of the top dealers definitely precedes him. I have communicated with him a couple times and if a response to an email didn’t come I just followed up with another email and/or phone call. If you want the art and like the price, don’t let communication get in your way. Reach out until you get him and the deal will get done.

It's odd there's a thread about a comic dealer whose been successfully operating for over a decade or more, and has always been consistent in his professionalism.

I didn't create the thread, but for someone like me who is relatively new to OA and whose only direct experience with Albert is not receiving a response to a purchase request, I think it's fair to ask questions. The fact that I'm not the only one asking those same questions just reinforces that notion. I have no doubt that Albert is a stand-up guy, and I am perfectly satisfied with the SDCC explanation, but again, I think it's fair to question (if done so respectfully). Isn't that why forums like this exist?

I didn't create the thread, but for someone like me who is relatively new to OA and whose only direct experience with Albert is not receiving a response to a purchase request, I think it's fair to ask questions. The fact that I'm not the only one asking those same questions just reinforces that notion. I have no doubt that Albert is a stand-up guy, and I am perfectly satisfied with the SDCC explanation, but again, I think it's fair to question (if done so respectfully). Isn't that why forums like this exist?

I agree, very fair question. In fact, I seek these conversations out as part of my consideration large purchases from a dealer.

So about 3 hours after my last post, I finally received a response to my purchase request. The piece I wanted sold at San Diego. :( Not terribly surprising, except that this page had been sitting on Albert's site for at least 5 years!

So about 3 hours after my last post, I finally received a response to my purchase request. The piece I wanted sold at San Diego. :( Not terribly surprising, except that this page had been sitting on Albert's site for at least 5 years!

Oh, I am sorry. Was it a Cooke piece?

Sorry man, I know how it is to really have your heart set on something and have it fall through. Don't worry though, there is always something around the corner to take it's place.

Oh, I am sorry. Was it a Cooke piece?

Nope. It was this JSA cover by Steve Sadowski.

I've been keeping an eye out for a good example of the 2000's JSA, and while I probably saw this on Albert's site at some point in the last year, I obviously forgot about it. When I stumbled across it a few weeks back, I couldn't add it to my cart fast enough. Sadowski may not be a big name, but he was the primary artist for the first couple of years on JSA (a series I love) and this was one of only 4 covers he did. It pretty much checked all my boxes for a JSA piece. The fact that I made the request prior to SDCC (but not before everything was packed up) and that it has been on Albert's site unsold since 2010 (if the Internet wayback machine is to be believed) is like double salt in the wound.