• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

377 posts in this topic

73 6.0 closed at $5.2K

58,66,69 and 73 are on fire and are all at roughly 1-1.5K/point.

Tec 69 2k+ a point

And high grade about 4-5k a point (or so I've been offered)

73 6.0 closed at $5.2K

58,66,69 and 73 are on fire and are all at roughly 1-1.5K/point.

Tec 69 2k+ a point

Depends on where you shop.

You've been offered too much.

don't tell me, I didn't make the offers (yes, plural)

but if you know of a high grade copy for less, lmk and I will pass on (shrug)

I know of one (CGC 7.5) but I won't share as it'll be mine in due time, and for a whole lot less than 4-5K/point. ;)

I know of one (CGC 7.5) but I won't share as it'll be mine in due time, and for a whole lot less than 4-5K/point. ;)

My copy is considerably higher. ;)

One of the 7 copies in either 8.0, 8.5 or 9.0 grade. Not bad. Enough to warrant paying an additional 3k/point difference? Not really. Not for me anyhow.

In any case, 7.5 is good enough for me. (thumbs u I'll have a copy and still have some left over for other books.

To justify bragging rights and the 4-5k/point paid, only if we were dealing with Roberts' 9.6.

One of the 7 copies in either 8.0, 8.5 or 9.0 grade. Not bad. Enough to warrant paying an additional 3k/point difference? Not really. Not for me anyhow.

In any case, 7.5 is good enough for me. (thumbs u I'll have a copy and still have some left over for other books.

To justify bragging rights and the 4-5k/point paid, only if we were dealing with Roberts' 9.6.

(thumbs u

"I know of one (CGC 7.5) but I won't share as it'll be mine in due time, and for a whole lot less than 4-5K/point."

Gotham,

I was thinking, What if you showed your potential seller this thread? Would it matter? If you are right it shouldn't.

I'm not saying you should ... This isn't an ethical issue for me. I only meant what if you did? It wouldn't change the market. If your pricing is right then the book will only sell for 1.5k a point to anybody. Get it? He might as well sell it to you because he won't get more from anybody else.

BUT...if Gator is right - you wouldn't want to show him this thread because he can get a lot more for the book because the book will sell for more, because your pricing is below market.

I'm thinking Gator's pricing is about right at 4-5k a point on a high grade 'Tec 69 and just because you personally believe you can buy one copy of the book from somebody for 1.5k a point doesn't really apply to the market for the rest of us.

I was also thinking if you paid your price point for the book would you sell that book at your price or Gators?

Then I though if a Hulk 1 in 7.5 (around 60 copies) or in 8.0 (more than 30 copies) would fetch something like 40-60k.

Well, I'd like a Hulk 1 - but no where near as much as I'd like a Detective 69 ... and for that matter the Bat 11 in 8.5 (12 copies) that sold in the Heritage Auction for 22k. I think these early high demand Bat/Detective books are depending on the collector relative bargains ... and I think this bargain window is beginning to close.

Which is why I also think the avg collector (who doesn't know someone like you do) is never going to get a Bat 69 in 7.5 which is high grade in my book for around 11k using your 1.5k a point pricing. The only way that would happen is a lack of knowledge on the sellers part.

In fact, I think if I want to buy a Tec 69 then Gators pricing of 4 to 5k is what it's going to take for me to literally pry the book from someone's hands if they know and appreciate what they have.

In fact I'm thinking it may take more than that since by your estimate Gator's book is at least an 8.0 and is still owned by Gator - in other words gatorrejected an offer of at least 40k for his copy (8.0 x 5k = 40K).

I know, Gotham, your buying a book for 11.5k and Gator not selling 40k or more does not make the market. But I'm thinking the market is a lot closer to 40k than it is to 10k.

I personally like 'Tec 69 as one of the best Bat/Joker covers of all time. I like it like some people like 'Tec 31, but that's just me and it has nothing to do with what the book is valued at. I just wanted to say I like the book :)

But I'm thinking I wouldn't sell a Tec 69 for less than a similar graded Hulk 1. In fact we'd have a far easier time locating a Hulk 1 for 50k than we would a Tec 69 for 50k. Like Gator's at this time they just aren't sitting out there on the open market.

And now I'm thinking - Tec 69 is in that 30-60 k range just like gator said and that would be that would be 4 to 5k a point ...

As an aside Gotham just look at what the Sensation 6 did in 5.5 - I don't think that was an aberration - it's GREAT book - but like so many other great golden age books they are so few and far between sometimes we lack a good grasp of what the market truly is.

Anyway you and gator - got me thinking and my thoughts line up more with gator's than yours.

I think if one of those 7 Tec 69's you mentioned hit the auction block it would command 4-5k a point or more. Of course there are collectors who are still only using the Overstreet miss-guide and they may very well not know what's going on. Just look again at that Sensation 6 and look at the miss-guide. And before you pooh-pooh the price - as gator said go find one. And when you do ... buy it.

Gotham I think you've found one to buy in your Tec 69 at 1.5k a point - good for you. I hope you get the book at your price .... but for me the question was this:

Is Tec 69 a 1 to 1.5k book like you assert or Is it a 4 to 5k book like gator asserts? After all this I'm thinking gator is closer to the market.

Anyway, Gotham, I look forward to the day you display your Tec 69 in your sig line ... you have beautfiul books. And this is just what I was thinking.

Wall of text. :sorry:

I'll answer "no" to everything. Makes life simpler.

I think he either had too much coffee or too little. :D

Intravenous if you ask me.

I will say the following, out of courtesy, seeing as how the poster likely took 1 hour for that wall of text:

a. the book belongs to a friend

b. we have agreed on price some time ago

c. he is fully aware of how hot the book has become

d. he bought it back when no one gave two for the book

e. revert to a and b

I will say the following, out of courtesy, seeing as how the poster likely took 1 hour for that wall of text:

a. the book belongs to a friend

b. we have agreed on price some time ago

c. he is fully aware of how hot the book has become

d. he bought it back when no one gave two for the book

e. revert to a and b

It's funny how certain books can become hot for no apparent reason. I collected Bats/Tecs back in the late 80s/early 90s. That book was not sought any more ardently than any other Joker cover. There is a definite herd mentality among collectors: a few people express a liking for a particular book, and the next thing you know, everybody has to have one. Sometimes I feel like I'm back in Jr. High.