• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

I don't have any problem with his pricing - most of it is way over my head, but if he's got attachment to his own work, it's clear he's not just trying to screw people over. People will buy it if they think it's worth it, and leave it if it's not and it sounds like he is perfectly ok either way.

I'd rather have someone charge a lot for the art and then be cool with fans (which my experience with him is) than charge for autos and be offputting like some of the other famous artists.

Edited by Thawk

I think a few people here will be surprised at how many of these pages sell today at these prices.

If these panel pages with decent Batman images went to auction there is no way they would sell in the 3 figure range.

Have you seen any sales by Capullo of his Batman stuff? I ask because I haven't.

The couple of pieces that have popped up on CAF seem to have come from the inker.

He's had the same asking price on his Batman 1 cover for several years now.

Of course if a decent Batman page went to auction it would have to sell for 10-15 times the top of the three figure range to meet his asking price.

The first page that caught my eye was a page with no Batman on it and some character vomiting up what I guess is a little clayface....for $2600.

I'm not an expert, but I believe he has sold a handful of pieces directly. This is the first "mass" offering of material from the run.

That Clayface barf page is what I mean when it seems like his prices are all over the place. That page is IMO grossly overpriced for what it is.

I can guarantee at least 1 page sold, I tried to pick up the one I liked the most after a bit of internal debate and it was already gone.

I bet roughly a quarter of the pages listed sell today at the asking prices. While I would not value it as highly as something like Jim Lee Hush, I have a feeling there are fans who covet these pages the same if not more than something like Hush.

I agree, it's an analogy that has a basic and critical fault. All of those other artists didn't sell their artwork on day one at what it might eventually be worth someday. They sold their artwork at what the market would bear and then the market created itself in the trading and selling of those pages on the secondary market. It great organically, it wasn't forced with a price tag reflective of a severe multiple of perceived market.

For example, check out some of those Byrne or Adams pages for the little penciled price on the back....unless it's a cover you aren't seeing 4 figures, you aren't even seeing high three figures. The Byrne pages that sell for $40,000 now sold for $75, $100, $150...which is why they sold, which is why a market was built and which is why the market can sustain itself after being grown organically.

I don't fault anyone for asking what they want for their items, but to think this is, in any way, a "ground floor" is correct only in that you're getting it from the source, not in the equity or value being transferred.

+1!

Well said Chris

Malvin

I can guarantee at least 1 page sold, I tried to pick up the one I liked the most after a bit of internal debate and it was already gone.

May I ask which one?

Issue 24 P. 33

Issue #24 P. 39 was my favorite page but way too much for me at $11.5k

May I ask which one?

Issue 24 P. 33

Nice - sorry you didn't get it - that is a beautiful page - love the red hood too.

I think some of his Spawn prices are ok, and I can see some collectors who can afford to over spend in the grands to buy up those pages, though I think the more high priced stuff will stay where it is for a while.

The real test though is to see when/ if any of these pages reach the secondary market, and go for around, or more than what he listed for. That might not happen though since the people buying them are ones that probably wouldn't sell them either if they didn't have to.

I am actually interested in 2 pages. These are all inks/pencils on separate boards correct? (The lack of overall info on the sight probably irritates me more than the prices.)

yes, I believe you are getting two pages - the inks and pencils - unless you are getting the pencil only haunt pages.

I asked about this - it's only Capullo's work with Glapion where the pencils/inks are separate. Everything Batman on the site right now is the second half of the run where inks were Danny Miki - original inks over original pencils - 1 piece.

I think some of his Spawn prices are ok, and I can see some collectors who can afford to over spend in the grands to buy up those pages, though I think the more high priced stuff will stay where it is for a while.

The real test though is to see when/ if any of these pages reach the secondary market, and go for around, or more than what he listed for. That might not happen though since the people buying them are ones that probably wouldn't sell them either if they didn't have to.

I attempted to purchase one of the Spawn pages.

It is his artwork and I respect the fact that he has his own ideas about the price-point he's willing to let them be purchased at by collectors/fans.

May I ask which one?

Issue 24 P. 33

Nice - sorry you didn't get it - that is a beautiful page - love the red hood too.

I'm pretty sure more pages are coming so I will have to get out my run and ice tidy the pages I like the most.

I Wonder why he decided to sell the art right at the end of the run.

I'll be curious to see how the sales go.I love Capullo, he's one of my favorite artists but this pricing seems out of sync with any art collecting market. I would imagine if his work does sell well at these prices it could push a dramatic asking price increase by other commercially viable artists.

His batman work is priced higher than Jim lee and Jim is arguably the definitive 21 century batman artist.

Similar with his Mcfarlane inked Spawn pages. You can get pretty awesome mcspidey covers in the same ballpark (or less) as those two spreads.

Edited by Koa

Wow. Those are tough prices for his work. Capullo is better off keeping them in the safe for another 10 years than charging 12-13K for panel pages in this current market. Look, he is a great artist and all, and I absolutely love his work with Snyder on Batman, but he is no Jim Lee.

May I ask which one?

Issue 24 P. 33

Both pages still show "In Stock" on the website ?

I own a few pages from Greg's run on Batman – two being splashes. I purchased them some time ago, before the public offering. This was through research on my part. Here's some info over the 100+ e-mails I've had, my closely following him on Twitter, as well as the perspective of a young collector (26.)

- Issues 1-18 are on separate boards, pencils and inks. 19 onward is when Miki jumped on, so those are inks over pencils on one board.

- Prices are absolutely non-negotiable.

- Pages first went up in October at NYCC. They brought a curation of 20 pages. 10-11 of them sold the first day of the con.

- After this point, I inquired about specific pages and they priced them for me. I bought three. They no longer price on request, and are instead releasing online in batches.

- Greg prices Miki and Jonathan's pages and those are also non-negotiable.

- Greg is perfectly fine not selling, especially covers. Thus the high prices. He's been vocal about keeping much of his art until he dies. He's said they each represent moments in his life and has passed up mid-30s for his Batman #1 cover.

- That said, Greg is also very 'for-the-fans.' Go to a con he's at. He'll have the longest line by a mile and will take the time to personally greet and shake the hands of each of his fans. People wait 4+ hours to see him. This is why he has pages for $1K. He's legitimately doing it for those who can't afford pricier pages.

- Talk of Greg slowing down is unheard of. He's a work horse who's addicted to what he does. Barring any disastrous events, he ain't retiring any time soon.

On the Hush / Jim Lee comparison: Many of you are judging based on nostalgia, personal connection, and your own perceived importance of the story (objectively, it was a very important story) which is absolutely justified. What I think is being missed, is that there is a new generation of collectors – one I myself belong to, and few of which are on this board. To us, Capullo/Snyder > Hush, and Capullo > Lee, and there is a large number who started reading comics with their Batman #1, the same way Hush rekindled comics interest for many.

I much rather own a page from Court of Owls than a page from Hush, and I also think Greg is a far superior artist. Now, this is completely subjective – but that's my point. As the new generation of collectors emerge, the Capullo/Snyder run is at the forefront of that – not Hush, not Dark Knight Returns, not Miller's Daredevil or whatever run you feel superior. Yes, prices are silly high now and pages may sit, but I assure you – in years to come as this new generation finds themselves more financially competent and look back to what was some of the greatest Batman stories ever told – and to them, likely THE greatest – they will pay. Will prices increase? I don't know, but the pages will sell and many will be tightly held on to.

For me personally, I spent a decent chunk of coin to get my pages – especially the splashes. It wasn't easy, prices were stupid high and not something I was used to paying, but they were also purchases I do not regret and would (and will likely) do again. If these were to lose value entirely – I'm OK with that. The Court of Owls pages represent the greatest story I have ever read, and the incredible experience I had enjoying it. I am so strongly connected to Court, that I couldn't imagine parting with them. Many feel the same way about Death of the Family, Zero Year, Endgame, Superheavy, and the entire run in general.

So, as absurd as prices are and as difficult to understand as it is – I ask you to remember the majority of Greg's audience is very different than that you're accustom to.

I much rather own a page from Court of Owls than a page from Hush, and I also think Greg is a far superior artist. Now, this is completely subjective – but that's my point. As the new generation of collectors emerge, the Capullo/Snyder run is at the forefront of that – not Hush, not Dark Knight Returns, not Miller's Daredevil or whatever run you feel superior. Yes, prices are silly high now and pages may sit, but I assure you – in years to come as this new generation finds themselves more financially competent and look back to what was some of the greatest Batman stories ever told – and to them, likely THE greatest – they will pay. Will prices increase? I don't know, but the pages will sell and many will be tightly held on to.

That was an interesting perspective put forward. I wanted to highlight this portion because it's a radical departure from the normal and repeated pattern that drives values up in a more organic and less ham-fisted way. Some call it the "Rule of 25", but it's basically a story or artist during a time period or on a title that sparks fandom, holds up to the test of time, becomes influential on artists that follow, and once nostalgia has a chance to actually kick in, the prices spike.

As things become romanticized and people grow old, the spark of youth extinguished, nostalgia for the last time they were happy takes over, but that takes time, disillusionment, evolution, disposal income and a lack of knowledge of how to save disposable income.

What you are describing is "instant nostalgia", bypassing the time it takes for young people to read and appreciate a story or artist, grow up, start make disposable income, and desperately and at all costs rekindle their lost youth through the acquisition of tokens of days gone by.

I enjoyed reading the Snyder/Capullo Batman stories.....they are fun. Not every one of the issues is a home run, but the initial arc was great. I could have done without the inevitable dilution of the "Owls" thing after the first arc struck gold, but that's the way of comic publishing. Anything worth selling is worth over selling.

I'd be more apt to accept everything you said, even equating an ongoing title, for which the shine of newness hasn't had a chance to wear off, with some of the most influential comics of the last 50 years, that have spawned and influenced an entire generation of artists and writers across media and genre, if that $2600 page with the dude puking up a little glob of Clayface actually sells.