• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Don't remember them from back in the day. I do have one though. Bought it here a few years ago from Tupenny . It has a Weird War Tales 42, a OFF 161 (I think), and another issue that's slipping my mind right now.

Cool! Do you have any pix?

Maybe the third comic is OAAW 285?

I'll try to dig it out and take a pic. Recently moved stuff around and I'm not sure where it is.

Only mag I ever subscribed to was Weird War, ca. 1974...jeez, they were mailed folded in half....never seen the WW first-issue cover. Nice!

Subscriptions folded in half, ah the good old days!

Yeah, it's insane what that book goes for. I've pretty much given up on getting a copy. Holding out slim hope that I'll find a cheap one in the wild. I still think there are sellers out there that have no idea about this book, so who knows maybe I'll get lucky.

I do have a bit of luck sometimes. Within the last two years, I've found two copies of the United Features Peanuts # 1, in the wild, for very little money.

I think that it now goes to the head of the line as the toughest bronze age war book in any grade. There are still a few books that are super hard in true NM, but that Whitman Rock issue is the toughest. It took me years to find a copy, and to your point Jeffro, I got it from a seller who didn't really know what he had.

I found this one online on an auction site (not ebay), and I think it wound up being $17CDN including shipping. Not mint by any means, but I was stoked to find it.

I do remember buying the regular newsstand version from the drugstore near my school back in the day. I think I was 9... :cloud9:

SR329whitman-1.jpg

Edited by bigfiver69

Thanks! It was totally a result of looking under every stone. I looked for several years before it turned up, and I have no illusions about finding a better one.

It's rarity brings up another interesting line of inquiry about the scarily of certain BA DC war books. I have heard it said that final issues of these titles are tough, but my experience was that they pop up regularly.

However, I definitely think there are some tough runs. Aside from über high grade copies of the 15 cent books I found hardest in grade were the 35 and 50 cent implosion era books from the 1977/78 era, particularly Weird War. Some of those eluded me for years and years.

Edited by bigfiver69

I didn't start collecting BA war until the 2000s, so with the help of the internets I was able to get HG copies of WWT 124 and Unknown Soldier 268 without any trouble.

GIC 288 seemed tougher to find in high grade, but now there's a few copies kicking around eBay, etc. Maybe not super HG, but at least they're around.

Edited by MisterX

Speaking of last issues, here's my pride and joy. The grade doesn't matter much to me.

2302132127121.jpg

The "Two names written in marker on first page" are Andy and Adam, from a signing several years earlier.

That's a great cover, and the signature is nicely placed.

I've actually never read that story... :blush:

Frank Robbins art. I don't think you actually want to read that story :P

It has a very Scooby-Doo-ish feel to it...

That's a great cover, and the signature is nicely placed.

I've actually never read that story... :blush:

Frank Robbins art. I don't think you actually want to read that story :P

It has a very Scooby-Doo-ish feel to it...

I don't despise Frank Robbins art. It's weird, looking at his early Johnny Hazard stuff compared to the 1970s Marvel stuff. Was the difference a stylistic choice? Some other factor?

I'm reminded of Jerry Grandenetti, although I think his BA stuff is superior to Robbins'.