• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN 2016

41 posts in this topic

Weekend Box Office: 'Magnificent Seven' Gallops Past Rivals for $34M-Plus Debut

Evading the curse that has plagued many a Western, Antoine Fuqua's The Magnificent Seven is headed for a promising $13 million-$14 million Friday, putting the star-studded movie on course to earn anywhere from $34 million to $40 million for the weekend, according to early projections.

The film is on pace to score one of the biggest domestic openings ever for a Western — if not the biggest, not accounting for inflation. The current record-holder for a live-action Western is Cowboys & Aliens ($36.4 million). But if counting animated offerings, Rango is the champ with $38.1 million.

:applause:

The 1960 version was excellent. Sure there were flaws because of the filming limitations in that era but overall it was well done.

The film was taken from a Japanese film of the same idea so really that version was a remake also.

I don't put out much hope about the new remake as Hollywood movies tend to go over-the-top in their delivery. They feel the need to deliver things that couldn't possibly have happened in that era because they don't believe people will see it otherwise. 3:10 to Yuma is a good example. A basic film that had a lot of suspense and character ruined by bullet-ridden affair in the more recent version.

I disagree here - I thought both the modern remakes of 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit were superior to the originals.

_Maybe_ the cinematography in the original 3:10 to Yuma was better, but in terms of acting, pacing and story, I found the new one to be far superior.

Not saying this film will come close to the original Magnificent Seven (again, as I said -- it needs just a bit more acting firepower to even come close) but it could still make for a fun Saturday afternoon.

Just came back from this and it was better than the original. I am a big Steve McQueen and Yul Bryner fan, but the remake blows it out of the water. Very modern take on this classic story.

I saw this last night and loved it. My only nick-pick was Chris Pratt being a little too Chris Pratt. There were times I felt he went a little out of character. But that's my only thing. And he wasn't bad at all.

The 1960 version was excellent. Sure there were flaws because of the filming limitations in that era but overall it was well done.

The film was taken from a Japanese film of the same idea so really that version was a remake also.

I don't put out much hope about the new remake as Hollywood movies tend to go over-the-top in their delivery. They feel the need to deliver things that couldn't possibly have happened in that era because they don't believe people will see it otherwise. 3:10 to Yuma is a good example. A basic film that had a lot of suspense and character ruined by bullet-ridden affair in the more recent version.

I disagree here - I thought both the modern remakes of 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit were superior to the originals.

_Maybe_ the cinematography in the original 3:10 to Yuma was better, but in terms of acting, pacing and story, I found the new one to be far superior.

Not saying this film will come close to the original Magnificent Seven (again, as I said -- it needs just a bit more acting firepower to even come close) but it could still make for a fun Saturday afternoon.

Just came back from this and it was better than the original. I am a big Steve McQueen and Yul Brynner fan, but the remake blows it out of the water. Very modern take on this classic story.

:o BLASPHEME!!!! (tsk)

:baiting:

Just came back from this and it was better than the original. I am a big Steve McQueen and Yul Bryner fan, but the remake blows it out of the water. Very modern take on this classic story.

this movie was very good. i liked the way they changed so much but then kept giving little nods to the original. maybe you need to check the original out again. i cant think of anything about this movie that was better than anything in the original other than maybe the fact that the original had more depth and got a little slow in a couple spots

this movie was very good. i liked the way they changed so much but then kept giving little nods to the original. maybe you need to check the original out again. i cant think of anything about this movie that was better than anything in the original other than maybe the fact that the original had more depth and got a little slow in a couple spots

I will give some arguments for debate,as to why it was better!

It was modern, and not slow.

It had a major bad villian that the first one really didn`t have.

It dealt with PTSD!

The ending alone was an improvement and worth the watch.

Like I said I was a big fan of that 1960 original,but the new one will be the one they will be talking about in 5 years.

I hope there will be a sequel. :wishluck: It was the best western I seen in years.

Re:

1) It was modern, and not slow.

Maybe, but right there, for me, that doesn't sound like a positive.

2) It had a major bad *spoon* villian that the first one really didn`t have.

Calvera was as bad news a villain as there ever will be. You clearly saw that he would never soften, would never give up and certainly would never leave until dead. That spelled doom for the villagers unless they decided to take action. Calvera was a strong villain in the original.

3) It dealt with PTSD!

Wasn't that already essentially the subplot of the original for the Robert Vaughn character?

4) The ending alone was an improvement and worth the watch.

I'll catch the movie when it comes out on video for sure. I am now curious to see how this one ends. The ending of the original one had the proper tone though: no one wins except the young guy. That's appropriate in the story's context.

I watched it Friday and enjoyed it.

It was definitely a solid three out of four star movie.

Oddly, it was so well balanced, no one really stole the movie.

But, Haley Bennett is definitely on the rise in Hollywood.

Her "star" burned as bright in it as much as Emily Blunt's did in genre films "Looper & Edge of Tomorrow."

Her "star" burned as bright in it as much as Emily Blunt's did in genre films "Looper & Edge of Tomorrow."

Another good one that didn`t get much recognition. A very fun action packed movie and yes I want a sequel to this as well!

(thumbs u

Another good one that didn`t get much recognition. A very fun action packed movie and yes I want a sequel to this as well!

(thumbs u

I have a hard time trying to describe what the new Magnificent Seven is the film a sequel, reboot, or just a re-imagining using the outline set by Kurosawa's Seven Samurai that has been copied numerous times including Magnificent Seven and a Bug's Life.

What is clear this is all new characters that were previously not in the original incarnations of the Magnificent Seven and it's sequels to where Yul Brynner's character is the key character in every film. Though I think hat is better in alot of ways. Instead of trying to remake the film the producers decided to tell a similar bunch of characters' story in a similar situation without trying to compete with the original.

Now as far as better than the original in one of your earlier comments. I would have to agree because the film is more remembered today for Elmer Bernstein's music score than anything else that has been in multiple commercial, movies, and tv shows as well as set the standards for musical scores moving forward for films especially in westerns

Magnificent Seven original was never a great film. But like many big films of that time, it had its great moments mixed into all the usual tepid scenes.

Seven Samurai is a cult classic that has become a cinema masterpiece given the arc of Kurosawa\s career in world cinema critical thinking. But like most Japanese films they are not for everybody. Too much 'work' to experience them, given the language Their very different and very Japanese cinematic language. Meaning slow and methodical.. I love it, but but no longer rush to watch it...

I think I'll give this new one a try on demand. I wary though because 3:10 to Yuma was just too overstocked with stuff that the original just did not need. I'm afraid the new 7 also has an overloaded "kitchen sink style" -script and running time.

Put me down also for Unforgiven as best western since the western era.

Magnificent Seven original was never a great film. But like many big films of that time, it had its great moments mixed into all the usual tepid scenes.

Seven Samurai is a cult classic that has become a cinema masterpiece given the arc of Kurosawa\s career in world cinema critical thinking. But like most Japanese films they are not for everybody. Too much 'work' to experience them, given the language Their very different and very Japanese cinematic language. Meaning slow and methodical.. I love it, but but no longer rush to watch it...

I think I'll give this new one a try on demand. I wary though because 3:10 to Yuma was just too overstocked with stuff that the original just did not need. I'm afraid the new 7 also has an overloaded "kitchen sink style" -script and running time.

Put me down also for Unforgiven as best western since the western era.

I found the villain of this new MAGNIFICENT SEVEN much more evil than the original movie`s villain.

Also, Chris Pratt is just such a likable fun character. The ending alone of this picture is worth it. I think you will like it.

Believe it or not, it didn't have the entire kitchen sink.

I thought it was well written, it wasn't spun too heavily like a Hollywood movie and the acting was great across the board.

Chris Pratt was a little Chris Pratt but so were the others (Denzel can't stop being Denzel). Still, it wasn't too much Pratt IMO.

I thought this movie was above average and while the subject matter will probably limit overall profits it's worth seeing. It's fun, engaging, believable, the villain is definitely well done and it's probably going to go down as a classic.

And I don't like Westerns.