• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2017 at 9:11 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Here is the Adventure Time 46 Eugene cover. How rare is it? The first post that comes up with "adventure time 46 eugene" in Google is my WTB post from 12/25/15.

tumblr_nxsy5wBLMW1r3gwo9o1_1280.png&key=

Very cool.  

I guarantee you that after you posted this at least a handful of people set about to see if they could find one!

-J.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:51 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Hey guys,

So in case any of you have ever wondered what a knock down, drag out, white knuckled, no holds barred, anything goes version of the Dirty Dozen list would look like if all the original criteria used was thrown out and everything was considered and the list was expanded to 100, well here you go: :)

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/variant-comics.html

Everything is considered here, foreign books, reprints, books that just came out last week, everything.

-J. 

So for it to qualify for the 100 list, I guess it has to have intentionally different artwork? Because Bloodshot 0 Platinum would knock most of these down. I think the Unity Golden Ticket variants would as well. And the X-O Manowar #15 Kotaki error would make the list near the bottom.

29 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

So for it to qualify for the 100 list, I guess it has to have intentionally different artwork? Because Bloodshot 0 Platinum would knock most of these down. I think the Unity Golden Ticket variants would as well. And the X-O Manowar #15 Kotaki error would make the list near the bottom.

They say they didn't count error/recalled books as "variants".

There's several legit Valiant variants on there though.  More than I expected.  

-J.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Furthermore, error/recalled books are also not included, as those were not intended to be “variants” by the publisher.

38 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Why is that? It's a raw copy that's already close to recent 9.8 prices for books at the bottom of the list, and has nearly a week to go.

Because it is a 1:1.  It might as well be an original sketch on a blank. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Because it is a 1:1.  It might as well be an original sketch on a blank. 

-J.

I remember heritage did an auction for something like this as well.  A My Little Pony comic.  It stuck out in my mind because it was the 1st time i saw a physical comic go for more than the OA (both were sold in the same auction)

Plus a 1:1 is not a very good thing to put on a list like this, if there's a 1:1, not much of a way to determine the price going forward, you need multiple copies / comps to build a market value.....

59 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

I remember heritage did an auction for something like this as well.  A My Little Pony comic.  It stuck out in my mind because it was the 1st time i saw a physical comic go for more than the OA (both were sold in the same auction)

Plus a 1:1 is not a very good thing to put on a list like this, if there's a 1:1, not much of a way to determine the price going forward, you need multiple copies / comps to build a market value.....

http://www.recalledcomics.com/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic12Million.php

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Obviously it's more difficult to determine a price going forward, but an auction indicates there are at least two people willing to pay a certain amount right now. Should any books that haven't had a sale in X amount of time be dropped?

This one has been a slow and steady grower since it was released and just cracked $1000 in a 9.8:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superior-Spider-Man-20-J-Scott-Campbell-1-50-Variant-CGC-9-8-Black-Cat/282728202122?hash=item41d3e9ff8a:g:5h4AAOSwX3FaBPyq&redirect=mobile

...one of Campbell's last genuinely clever , nicely thought out covers.  

And I'm still surprised it actually made it past the censors. lol

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

18 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

This, unfortunately, definitely looks like one of those counterfeit copies...

-J.

Because? There is nothing in the listing pictures that matches up with the issues in the thread you posted. Does not appear to have the "plump" spine. Staples aren't shown.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Because? There is nothing in the listing pictures that matches up with the issues in the thread you posted. Does not appear to have the "plump" spine. Staples aren't shown.

It very much has the overly plump spine. Particularly noticeable in the first picture.  Also the cover stock is wrong.  I own this book, remember? I purchased it raw and handled it raw extensively  (probably more than I should have lol ).  Real copies do not have that kind of cover stock or gloss.  It's fake, and it was sold from what looks like a hacked ebay account as well.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules