• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Just redact it. Its not that hard to cut out the information we don't need until then well you know the rest of what I will type.

:whatthe:

Wow. When even diehard apologists tell you to put up or shut up, you know you're behind the 8 ball.....

:eek:

41 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Exception that makes the rule, party of one, your table is ready....

No one has ever said Marvel "arbitrarily prints off cases of books that no one ordered." They do it on purpose. 

Here's a great example:

IMG_0770.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Do you know how many people ordered that book...?

(psssst...the answer's zero.)

Marvel printed cases of that book...and not arbitrarily...and not a single person ordered it. Why? Because Marvel printed it as a giveaway at WWLA.

I know, I know...weird!

That is not a retailer incentive, so your example is moot.

-J.

34 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Exception that makes the rule, party of one, your table is ready....

No one has ever said Marvel "arbitrarily prints off cases of books that no one ordered." They do it on purpose. 

Here's a great example:

IMG_0770.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Do you know how many people ordered that book...?

(psssst...the answer's zero.)

Marvel printed cases of that book...and not arbitrarily...and not a single person ordered it. Why? Because Marvel printed it as a giveaway at WWLA.

I know, I know...weird!

That is not a retailer incentive, so your example is moot.

-J.

True. But it IS an example of Marvel "printing books that nobody ordered." 

That's also true of retailer incentives...know how I know...?

Go to a Diamond retailer seminar, and see what they give out to people who "didn't order them."

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Wow. When even diehard apologists tell you to put up or shut up, you know you're behind the 8 ball.....

Wow, and here I thought you were finally doing a mea culpa! lol

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Go to a Diamond retailer seminar, and see what they give out to people who "didn't order them."

Yes, remaindered case packs.  We've already covered this.  

-J.

14 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
30 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes, remaindered case packs.  We've already covered this.  

-J.

Yes, we have. So, Marvel prints comic books in cases with counts of 500 or more...? Because that's how many copies Marvel usually hands out.

Like @fastballspecial said: time to make with the documents.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You first. 

-J.

Diamond retailer summits are held throughout the year, and have been for decades. They are not "private" events, and anyone with a Diamond account may go. I have been to many, over many years, as have others here.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Diamond retailer summits are held throughout the year, and have been for decades. They are not "private" events, and anyone with a Diamond account may go. I have been to many, over many years, as have others here.

That's not what I asked you to provide documentation of.  

-J.

The amount of mental energy devoted to this inane argument is astonishing. Frankly I cannot even get clear what the heck you are arguing about. Someone needs to pay me $500 an hour in Darker Image Golds to sort this all out.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Just redact it. Its not that hard to cut out the information we don't need until then well you know the rest of what I will type.

"Diehard apologists" Please :eyeroll:

You pick fights then cry wolf. 

Cant imagine why you were banned from another website.

Edited by fastballspecial

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

"Diehard apologists" Please :eyeroll:

You pick fights then cry wolf. 

Cant imagine why you were banned from another website.

Really...? I give you a playful tap, and you go for the jugular...?  

You are a master of cheap shots (perfect example here) and the fight picking, and have been for many, many years, despite zero engagement from this side (and I can prove it.)

No sense complaining when someone (finally) gives you a teensy tiny bit of guff. There's nothing wrong with being a diehard apologist...which, on the issue of determining print runs, you have.

But good for you for adding your voice to the chorus demanding proof on this! 

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not what I asked you to provide documentation of.  

-J.

Sure it is. Diamond retailer summits are attended by many hundreds of retailers, from all over the world. At those summits, Marvel (and other publishers) have handed out retailer incentive variants on several occasions....far in excess of your "pack" claims.

14 hours ago, the blob said:

The amount of mental energy devoted to this inane argument is astonishing. Frankly I cannot even get clear what the heck you are arguing about. Someone needs to pay me $500 an hour in Darker Image Golds to sort this all out.

I think I can arrange that. That works out to one Darker Image #1 Gold per hour....give me an estimate on the amount of work you think it will take, and send me an invoice...I'll have the books shipped out ASAP. 

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure it is. Diamond retailer summits are attended by many hundreds of retailers, from all over the world. At those summits, Marvel (and other publishers) have handed out retailer incentive variants on several occasions....far in excess of your "pack" claims.

....So then you have no documentation of this ?

-J.

26 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

....So then you have no documentation of this ?

-J.

Yes. 

The first second or two gives you an idea of the crowd size. That hall was huge, and it's pretty much filled with retailers. If I can find something better, I will, but that gives you an idea of the amount of retailers there. There were multiple hundreds, and all of them got retailer incentive of one type or another. (Plus, I was there, so I am eyewitness testimony. I'm pretty sure @Chuck Gower was there, too.)

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes. 

The first second or two gives you an idea of the crowd size. That hall was huge, and it's pretty much filled with retailers. If I can find something better, I will, but that gives you an idea of the amount of retailers there. There were multiple hundreds, and all of them got retailer incentive of one type or another. (Plus, I was there, so I am eyewitness testimony. I'm pretty sure @Chuck Gower was there, too.)

This info is at best, anecdotal.  

And I am also familiar with these events. 

No, not every retailer receives courtesy copies of books.

No, not every retailer receives courtesy copies of the same books.

No, most of the courtesy books retailers receive are not retailer incentive variants.  

No, what ones are, are not handed out in mass quantities of several hundreds.

No, you do not know whether or not the books that are handed out, were already designated set asides for the event. 

No, this does not mean that publishers regularly over print books that no one has ordered, just for sake of doing so (they may however do so to hand out as special thank yous at giveaways such as these however, see above).

No, none of this prevents anyone from reasonably estimating print runs based on comichron sales figures.  

If you think it does, that is your opinion, and you already stated it ad infinitum.  

Try to enjoy your Sunday.   (thumbsu

-J.

I don't think you understand what "anecdotal" means. 

As for the Diamond retailer summits, I'm not sure where you have gotten your information. I have personally attended more than a dozen in the last several years. Every retailer receives the same copies of the same books. They're all handed out in pre-made packs which are all identical.

Yes, not all the books are retailer incentives, but that's irrelevant. The fact that any are disproves your theories.

Yes, retailer incentives are handed out in mass quantities of several hundreds. How do I know? I've received many of them for several years.

Whether they are "designated set asides for the event" is also irrelevant. The fact that they hand out retailer incentives...whether they planned ahead or are just getting rid of overstock...demonstrates that the publishers print more than "just enough to fill orders and cover damages, rounded to the nearest pack case."

The publishers print what they choose. This includes books that "no one ordered" (see above.)

Nothing prevents anyone from estimating anything. The fact is...for reasons that have been explained by multiple people (including those who are not generally in agreement with each other about much of anything)...the ordering ratios for retailer incentives have nothing to do with the sales numbers reported by Diamond. Trying to use those numbers together results in made up figures. Estimate? Sure. Reasonable? No. Not even close. 

You too!

-R.

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I think I can arrange that. That works out to one Darker Image #1 Gold per hour....give me an estimate on the amount of work you think it will take, and send me an invoice...I'll have the books shipped out ASAP. 

Special Counsel Blob will issue a report on the inquiry. It may take a year or two. 

rma... Why do you go to these events? Do you work with a retailer? Are there non-retailers in the business who have fenagled their way on these lists? I am just curious. My wife is a master at getting herself on invite lists. The amount of swag she used to bring home was nuts.