• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is your current comic collecting position? Buy Sell Hold, or some combo?

46 posts in this topic

I pretty much only buy, however it's very limited in what I get. Right now it's only 1 title that is currently out(batman) and as of yesterday finished the story arc the author (Snyder) wrote on another book(tec 871-881). When this last issue comes out he is writing this week, I will be trying out his upcoming book, but may be done with buying if I don't like it...

well Outside of a few other things I guess though.

Two years ago I was a seller, or more accurately a "consolidator" selling lots of long boxes, trades and slabs that were not "in my focus"

Probably 6 long boxes of floppies, about 20-30 slabs over half a ton of trades turned into about 5 slabs and some paid of bills.

Im still buying the occasional book, but im averaging about 2-3 per year in the last 2.5 years.

Next year, if we move back to the states I'll attempt to recreate my TPB/HC library.

Buying. Still working hard on my X-Men run and picking up some randoms from time to time.

As my wife points out when I tell her how much my collection is worth "What does it matter? You're never going to sell it!"

I'm currently buying however I was initially focused on slabs. I'm actually only collecting high grade slabs for my Daredevil run and some price variant issues from the bronze age.

I'm beginning to piece together high grade runs of raw books for several titles at the moment.

Saving up for a couple of big SA keys 3rd and 4th quarter of this year which I will probably go the slab route unless I buy from a well established boardie.

I used to collect Silver to Modern, but there's just too much volume to keep track of (not to mention reboots) as I'm mainly just a fan/hobbyist. So, I refocused my collecting about a year ago to just stuff I've always wanted, like larger key issues, and sold off nearly all of my modern stuff. The only run I'm currently pursuing is Daredevil 1-233. All the rest of my comic books are kept within one piece of display furniture. Makes life simpler, and that makes life better (at least for me).

Buying keys and good art, selling the rest. Plan to liquidate most of it, I have no interest in keeping 100-issue runs of stories anymore. If I'm THAT interested in a storyline, there's TPBs. But even then, not so much.

Quality over quantity now.

Buy/Sell what I don't want to fund what I collect and keep.

I've been in limbo the last few years thinking about liquidating the majority of my stuff. I may have come to the crossroads of collecting and it's time to move on to other things. (shrug)

You get to the point where you realize you don't own stuff, it owns you. I've often thought of liquidating a good chunk of my collection and just keeping the stuff I really love.

I've been in limbo the last few years thinking about liquidating the majority of my stuff. I may have come to the crossroads of collecting and it's time to move on to other things. (shrug)

You get to the point where you realize you don't own stuff, it owns you. I've often thought of liquidating a good chunk of my collection and just keeping the stuff I really love.

Very true analogy. Well said.

Well, its a lot of money that's been building up over 40 years. I still love reading these books and cherish them, but it comes time when it's not a priority anymore. Especially with Greggy lurking in the shadows. lol

SOLD. I sold my collection a month ago. In the last few years keys have appreciated up to 1000%. An AF15 that would have sold for 15k a decade ago is now almost 100k. I don’t know about most people, but I don’t want to get caught in the slide. The 80s were Slasher films. 90s the Mafia, Neo, and the Terminator. 2000s were Pixar movies. Now, Superheros. If anyone knows what a bubble looks like, this has all the signs of it. I’ll get back in after the pop where those 150k houses were selling for 600k and now you can get them at foreclosure for 80k. I’ve lived through several bubbles sitting on Wall Street. Everyone knew it was coming. People just refused to talk out of small circles about the inevitable. Let’s see where these Inhuman first appearances go within the next 12-months.

We also now have multiple grading companies. This could cause market confusion. Who is grading correctly? Are they gift grading for added business or are they being tight to maintain their integrity. Which do I use? Are the both lax? Which one do I trust? We’ve seen some pretty rough books with super high grades fetching 6-figures from both companies. That is not helping with my warm and fuzzy feeling.

However, who the heck bought that AF15 9.4 !!!!!!

Yup. Having to move 70+ boxes to new locations also doesn't help. I've done it three times now and I don't want to do it again.

I'm finally getting serious about purging the books that I have. Been buying for years now, and adding to the collection. Even so, there are 10-15 short boxes of stuff that I just put away, and it's not worth the time to sell them if they're less than $5-$10 each. Going to donate a bunch of them, and move the rest. After that, I'll still have 8 short boxes of CGC books and 10+ short boxes of raw books. That really should be enough for me.

I buy and sell all the time, but my collection is pretty steady at 6 short boxes. I keep it lean, to only the comics I really want to own.

I am a collector who doesn't like excessive clutter. It's a constant internal battle!

Selling entire raw collection (slowly) and combing it for CGC-worthy submissions, which I will slab and sell later. Will only hold blue-chip keys and a handful of sentimental favorites (like 70s DC Shazam! 100-pagers).

Doing this for personal life-simplifying reasons, not because I anticipate some epochal crash.

I'm buying and selling, with more selling lately. Moderns are ridiculous inflated so ive been taking this time to slowly unload my complete new 52 runs, extra IDW Turtles a/b/ri run. I've also been selling slabs.

While the Dark Knight hype train unfolded late 2015, I was buying all the IDW 1st print Batman/Turtles issues #1 and #2 I could find at $3-4 a pop. And they've been doing fantastic.

Interesting time for the hobby...auctions other than top tier Superheroes keys aren't doing good but my BIN's are thriving. X-men got a huge bump after Deadpool movie and my sales of X-books skyrocketed. Civil War related books are doing great too.

I had to stop doing no reserve .99 auctions because books just don't sell for what they did in auction just a few years ago yet BIN's are thriving.

Since I live within 20 miles of 5 Half Priced books and have first dibs on most of the comics, I HORDE like crazy. recent HPB haul was a near complete Mirage TMNT run issues 5-30 for a buck each.. it never ends! My Wife loves it because Half price books is making us a small fortune

I'm not buying any vintage stuff at the moment. I've recently moved house and I'm concentrating on getting my new place sorted so there won't be money to buy comics for a while. To be honest, I have most of the books I really want (X-Men 1, Hulk 181, ASM 129 etc) and there aren't many others that I want to add to my collection. Walking Dead 1 is probably the biggest key that I still want to get. I'm fortunate to now be in a position where I can hold onto my books without needing to sell them to pay for other things and I have no intention of selling what I currently have.

Yup. Having to move 70+ boxes to new locations also doesn't help. I've done it three times now and I don't want to do it again.

I don't have nearly as many boxes as you, but the least favorite part of the last few moves we've done is lugging comic boxes around. Lucky for me my wife has a strong back :whistle: