• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,341 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2018 at 9:39 AM, comicwiz said:

James, my kids enjoyed the Hasbro 2008 release Wolverine on motorcycle. The claws were fixed on Wolverine, but there are retractable claws on the motorcycle, and a cool X button on the tank that lights up when pushed, and makes a metal on metal noise when the claws retract. My kids put a lot of hours of play on the one we have, and the claws stick now, and doesn't make noise (probably a battery replacement thing). Kids are the best for stress testing toys :bigsmile:. It's still in decent shape despite the above noted condition issues, if you want it for your son, it's yours.

wolverine_moto.jpg

That's a generous offer, thanks!!!  Sure, I'll take it, I think he'll love it.  I'll PM shipping info and I'll cover that cost.

5 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Awesome Joes! @Buzzetta

Thanks ! I wound up placing an order last night amongst several sellers and bought everything using the eBay coupon.  I was surprised at the going rate for a Hooded Cobra Commander with decent paint apps AND the original gun. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Thanks ! I wound up placing an order last night amongst several sellers and bought everything using the eBay coupon.  I was surprised at the going rate for a Hooded Cobra Commander with decent paint apps AND the original gun. 

That's one my favorites. I look forward to seeing the next batch. Makes me want to go out and do the same. I've only rebought a few vintage Joes so far.

18 hours ago, rucnok said:

i think i bought an item from you on ebay....planet  of the apes figure....it was awesome!

I wish it was me... but I've never owned at Planet of the Apes figures.  You are welcome to buy from me though as I promise that almost all money is funneled back to support my own nonsense and I promise everyone walks away pleased. 

22 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

That's one my favorites. I look forward to seeing the next batch. Makes me want to go out and do the same. I've only rebought a few vintage Joes so far.

Heh - mail call this weekend... got a few modern figures as well as 4 vintage this afternoon... I would like to see a few more things arrive before I post another batch. 

I wanted to post these when a few more came in the mail but there was an interesting story that came around with them.  I had no plans to look for GI Joes today but I know of a Toy Store that was on the way to the Apple Store (upgraded from an iPhone 6, yes "6", to an iPhone Xr) so I figured I would check it out. The store I went to was Amok Time toys located on New South Road in Hicksville, Long Island, NY.  I had not been there since they were at their older location on Hempstead Tpke about a decade ago.  He had an excellent selection of new and old toys, sideshow and hot toys, vintage pieces and comics as well. 

First, I was impressed at the selection, the clientele, the cleanliness of the store, the competitive pricing and the all around experience.  For all of the guys saying that they want to open a comic store this is the place. 

As you can see I picked up a Red Back 83" Airborne (the figure is sharp and may more pics of him later), Bazooka, Cobra Commander in Battle Armor and Thrasher. When I asked him if he had any more that he had to put out or how frequently he comes into collections, what he said supported my theory on dealers and collections these days in general. 

He said that he "doesn't come into GI Joe collections much anymore" and that most of what he comes across "isn't even good for parts."  Most of the collections that are suitable for dealers to sell are being sold online by the original owners themselves.  This supports my ideas on comics where the majority of collections of good books and toy collections are no longer being shopped around to dealers but shopped online directly to collectors via eBay or Craigslist.  Why would anyone sell to a dealer at a fraction of the money that they could get for something online?  

What does this mean for the dealers?  Dunno... if anything I think it means higher prices for buyers because either dealers will have to pay more or they will be getting their items from collections that they buy themselves online and piece out. The same holds true for comics in my opinion. 

Either way... Apple was going to give me a $70 credit for my iPhone 6 which was top dollar in their opinion.  I held onto it and will sell it on eBay for more.  Why give it to them when I can get more for it myself? 

IMG_6531.jpeg

@Chillax23

I don't think you'll get much value on the Aliens figures.  I picked up a couple for parts because they're the right scale for a project I've been working on.  They were cheaper than the shipping cost.

I assume you'd do well selling the Joes as a lot.

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

While I was cleaning I also came across these GI Joes that I will also likely sell - they are in decent shape but some of them are a little loose in the legs/hips.  There are no accessories. Just wondering what a tough idea of value would be:

DAB8B954-7B28-4131-9878-DD104636C71A.thumb.jpeg.b22e3f010cf0a392ea99c4fa5e341fb0.jpegB0ACA561-D2E5-444E-96E0-BE490B79A469.thumb.jpeg.88a9b11d5eb9e531df2a2cb0d5864a77.jpeg

In the second picture, the figure that is second from the left in the top row is a "Motor Viper".  Motor Viper came with the Stun Vehicle but no other weapons.  You can sell him individually as he is technically 'complete'.  Depending on condition as far as joint tightness (you said they were loose) and paint apps and there not being any elbow cracks you could get a few bucks for them as a lot. $35-$55 maybe at ebay auction?  If not more? The other figure that is in demand in that lot is the Storm Shadow figure directly to the left of the Motor Viper.   Nice haul... try to find any accessories though as that would increase the value.   

23 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

He said that he "doesn't come into GI Joe collections much anymore" and that most of what he comes across "isn't even good for parts."  Most of the collections that are suitable for dealers to sell are being sold online by the original owners themselves.  This supports my ideas on comics where the majority of collections of good books and toy collections are no longer being shopped around to dealers but shopped online directly to collectors via eBay or Craigslist.  Why would anyone sell to a dealer at a fraction of the money that they could get for something online?  

Loaded question, but I'm going to try to answer this best I can based on my own observations and experiences. First, if you think people are generally apprehensive about selling to a dealer for fear they are leaving money on the table, it pales in comparison to what happens when people turn to social media platforms to sell their stuff. Perfect example, just the other day, in the same large vintage group I posted that WTB that fessed up the Voltron Mini Lion (over 40K members), a lady posts a Hot Wheels red line and she asks a very simple question - are the decals on this repainted or original to the car? First guy to respond says they are repaints, are you looking to sell? Based on his reply, she figures $5 for the car, he almost trips over himself (if that's even possible with a keyboard) saying he'll take it, PM me PP details.

Within minutes, that thread blew up, with people who actually knew what they were talking about, telling the lady that the decals were in fact original to the car, and that even in the shape it was in, it was still worth $50-$80, and that the person who she sold it to was not being honest. She was bothered by this, but she felt she needed to honour the deal even if the circumstances were what they were. She is definitely the exception rather than the rule because she had an out but honoured the deal despite the person being dishonest, and I'd say these threads either quickly get buried or deleted by admins. The other important factor is most if not all groups require you to post a price, and you'd be suprised how many people get tripped up on this thinking if they post it, they are going to get screwed over by not pricing it right, and selling it for too little.

We often ridicule the free classified listings asking outrageous amounts, but I see my fair share of listings that sell for criminally low amounts. I know a few dealers that work both retail and online to fetter out stuff, but a lot of it comes down to timing and luck. Even with the amount of advertising I do, I still get a lot of people contacting me directly on Facebook because they see me posting in groups, offering help, and providing information, and I guess that matters to people when they are turning to people they can trust. Earning an heirs trust to confide in you about something they are looking to possibly have valued or might be looking to sell is one type of lead neither a store, ad, email or telephone number can shake out.

Edited by comicwiz

I think Joes as a whole have been spiking in demand especially this last year for both vintage and modern. I see a lot of stuff double what it was a couple years ago. I don't know if it has anything to do with there not being any new figures at the stores or what. I haven't come across many Joes at conventions, although I seem to pick some up at every larger show I go to hm. I'm not sure about dealers still buying collections. I can understand people wanting to sell themselves. I actually finally bit the bullet and did my first ever sale on ebay yesterday. Prior to that a couple buddies who were known sellers would list a few things for me or I would sell/trade to other dealers. But I figured i shouldn't leave money on the table I don't have to. Plus even though my friends don't ask for it I always give them something for helping me out.

Great Joes again. I really like Bazooka I remember having my mom order him in the mail for mail me. Good times! @Buzzetta

Joes have significantly increased in the past 3 years.  

The vintage toy market has been pretty frustrating as a buyer in the last year.  The prices are wayyyy too high for nearly everything.  

Trying to buy locally from people is far and between too.  Tons more "dealers" out there buying. 

Patrick

On 10/28/2018 at 6:31 PM, comicwiz said:

Loaded question, but I'm going to try to answer this best I can based on my own observations and experiences. First, if you think people are generally apprehensive about selling to a dealer for fear they are leaving money on the table, it pales in comparison to what happens when people turn to social media platforms to sell their stuff. Perfect example, just the other day, in the same large vintage group I posted that WTB that fessed up the Voltron Mini Lion (over 40K members), a lady posts a Hot Wheels red line and she asks a very simple question - are the decals on this repainted or original to the car? First guy to respond says they are repaints, are you looking to sell? Based on his reply, she figures $5 for the car, he almost trips over himself (if that's even possible with a keyboard) saying he'll take it, PM me PP details.

Within minutes, that thread blew up, with people who actually knew what they were talking about, telling the lady that the decals were in fact original to the car, and that even in the shape it was in, it was still worth $50-$80, and that the person who she sold it to was not being honest. She was bothered by this, but she felt she needed to honour the deal even if the circumstances were what they were. She is definitely the exception rather than the rule because she had an out but honoured the deal despite the person being dishonest, and I'd say these threads either quickly get buried or deleted by admins. The other important factor is most if not all groups require you to post a price, and you'd be suprised how many people get tripped up on this thinking if they post it, they are going to get screwed over by not pricing it right, and selling it for too little.

We often ridicule the free classified listings asking outrageous amounts, but I see my fair share of listings that sell for criminally low amounts. I know a few dealers that work both retail and online to fetter out stuff, but a lot of it comes down to timing and luck. Even with the amount of advertising I do, I still get a lot of people contacting me directly on Facebook because they see me posting in groups, offering help, and providing information, and I guess that matters to people when they are turning to people they can trust. Earning an heirs trust to confide in you about something they are looking to possibly have valued or might be looking to sell is one type of lead neither a store, ad, email or telephone number can shake out.

I think it is more along the lines that many people, at least around here, have come to the realization that it doesn't take much effort to sell something online.  Between the various venues, and apps, anyone with a cell phone camera can try selling it themselves.  Even on TV and radio we are constantly reminded that we can "sell our own junk" online.  I agree with you that the woman in question with the HW Red Line was over her head as she was not a collector.  However, I really do see, at least by the trends in my area (NYC and Long Island) that collectors are turning to sell off their items themselves. 

Still cannot believe you were able to get to the bottom of that Voltron btw. It amazes me what is still unearthed decades after the designers have moved on and in some cases the companies themselves have folded. 

BTW... Facebook Pre Pro Group accepted me this past weekend... right now I am just sitting back and watching... Amazing stuff that they are put out there. 

On 10/29/2018 at 3:52 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I think Joes as a whole have been spiking in demand especially this last year for both vintage and modern. I see a lot of stuff double what it was a couple years ago. I don't know if it has anything to do with there not being any new figures at the stores or what. I haven't come across many Joes at conventions, although I seem to pick some up at every larger show I go to hm. I'm not sure about dealers still buying collections. I can understand people wanting to sell themselves. I actually finally bit the bullet and did my first ever sale on ebay yesterday. Prior to that a couple buddies who were known sellers would list a few things for me or I would sell/trade to other dealers. But I figured i shouldn't leave money on the table I don't have to. Plus even though my friends don't ask for it I always give them something for helping me out.

Great Joes again. I really like Bazooka I remember having my mom order him in the mail for mail me. Good times! @Buzzetta

The prices I am paying are a bit much compared to what they were.  However, there just doesn't seem to be a lot out there that has the qualifications I am looking for.  Keep in mind that I am not being collector snobbish when it comes to buying these.  All I am looking for are complete figs with reasonably tight limbs that don't have any cracks in them or broken pieces.  I remember years ago seeing them all over the place... but now it's getting harder.  

I think it also has to do with Father Time. The figures are not getting in better condition as people move collections around and transport figures.  I recently had to file a claim and return Outback because the seller shipped him to me and the flashlight broke off in his leg.  That's not only one less complete Outback out there, now it is a broken one.   Either way, I feel as if I want to make a decent sized dent in the fifty or so more figures I need to (want to) pick up as I feel that many of the Joes are going to go Star Wars level demand. I already know that I am going to pay $50 or more for a NM and Complete Firefly or a Zartan. 

I think you are also right though that it has to do with there not being any more product on the shelves. That will change in 2020 with the release of the Snake Eyes movie.  However, that would explain the spike in modern figures (which I have also been silently picking up).

What's on the way? 
Vintage - Lady Jaye, Cobra Commander Hooded x 2, Stalker Version 1 Swivel Arm, Scarlett Swivel Arm (Another One but in better shape), Ripcord, Clutch Version 1 Swivel Arm, Clutch (tan), Rock & Roll Version 1 Swivel Arm), Short Fuze Swivel Arm, Breaker Version 1 Swivel Arm, 

Modern, Data Viper, Night Viper, Agent Helix, Kwinn the Eskimo, Lift Ticket, Stormshadow Unmasked (Club Exclusive O-Ring design), Jinx - Tiger Force Joe Collector Club, 50th Anniversary Lady Jaye, 50th Anniversary Baroness, SDCC Snake Eyes Transformers Crossover, ROC Cover Girl, Blind Master, City Strike Snake Eyes (original Resolute figure), Black Suit ROC Scarlett, 2005 Snake Eyes vs Swamp Rat - Last O-Ring figures I had ever bought. 

As you can see, I've been busy on my phone commuting back and forth.