• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

For those keeping score, $35 million for day one Friday (including the Thursday night previews) is off more than 50% from Rogue One's $71 million.

I know nobody asked for this film, but...damn...

Rogue One is the only Disney SW that I really enjoyed. It's slow, but once you get to the second half with Vader and the space battle, it almost feels like it's part of the OT.

Yeah, I'm going to have to drop my initial assessment to it being lucky if it reaches 500 mill worldwide after it bombed so spectacularly on Friday. Might do 70 mill opening weekend, 80 with Memorial day. Even DP2 is doing poorly compared to the 1st. That's what they get for putting them up against Infinity War. Apparently it cost 250 - 300 mill to make also. I don't see how it could cost more than The Last Jedi, but that's what I read.

39 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to drop my initial assessment to it being lucky if it reaches 500 mill worldwide after it bombed so spectacularly on Friday. Might do 70 mill opening weekend, 80 with Memorial day. Even DP2 is doing poorly compared to the 1st. That's what they get for putting them up against Infinity War. Apparently it cost 250 - 300 mill to make also. I don't see how it could cost more than The Last Jedi, but that's what I read.

I don't think Deadpool 2 is doing that badly relative to Deadpool 1 -- it's only doing badly vs.movie pundits' expectations.

After 8 days, Deadpool 2's made $176.8 million vs. Deadpool's $196.6 million -- or 89.8% of the first movie's take at the same point.

_Very_ few sequels make as much -- let alone more than -- their initial chapters. And pacing as high as 90% of the original after 8 days is really unusual.

Just like The Last Jedi didn't really underperform -- as every "chapter 2" in the Star Wars saga clocked in at just 68-75% of their predecessor -- Empire vs. Star Wars; Attack of the Clones vs. Phantom Menace and The Last Jedi vs. Force Awakens. Historically -- it performed exactly in-line.

27 minutes ago, Bill C said:

The movie is hot garbage, like the other new "SW" movies.

That said, the movie had a GREAT nod to the original series-

(spoilers)

Does anyone remember that SW episode 4 trading card (green series IIRC?) of C3PO that got discontinued because it looked like he had a "manly" appendage?

Well, it turns out L3 straps it on and gives it to Lando after a card game midway through the movie.

I think that fantasy is meant for another chat room.:sorry:

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't think Deadpool 2 is doing that badly relative to Deadpool 1 -- it's only doing badly vs.movie pundits' expectations.

After 8 days, Deadpool 2's made $176.8 million vs. Deadpool's $196.6 million -- or 89.8% of the first movie's take at the same point.

_Very_ few sequels make as much -- let alone more than -- their initial chapters. And pacing as high as 90% of the original after 8 days is really unusual.

Just like The Last Jedi didn't really underperform -- as every "chapter 2" in the Star Wars saga clocked in at just 68-75% of their predecessor -- Empire vs. Star Wars; Attack of the Clones vs. Phantom Menace and The Last Jedi vs. Force Awakens. Historically -- it performed exactly in-line.

I think DP2 may have even been better than the 1st. I was honestly expecting it to do better, so a 77.2% drop 2nd Friday was unexpected. Felt like they wanted to give the MCU a big ?with their release date but ended up with their thumb up their own arse instead. That definitely does seem like a play from the old Deadpool handbook now that I think about it. ? Guess they’ll need to make a new end credit scene for the DVD.?

6 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

For me, even though TLJ is technically better than Attack of the Clones, it's still my least favorite film in the series. It just :censored: all over the saga.

(thumbsu

How does CinemaScore come up with movie viewers that gave this an A- when other sites are showing a mixed review? Did it poll the theater that 501st Star Wars Fan Legion attended?

RT Audience Score: 3.1/5.0 overall

IMDb Viewer Score Average: 7.0-8.0/10.0 (35K+ contributors)

MetaCritic Viewer Score: 5.7/10.0

8MJv16o.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

Cinema Score always skews up.

Like, an A- is equal to a B, and a B is equal to F.

In other news, Han Solo brought in less on Friday (including Thursday night previews) than Justice League did...

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Cinema Score always skews up.

Like, an A- is equal to a B, and a B is equal to F.

In other news, Han Solo brought in less on Friday (including Thursday night previews) than Justice League did...

I'd rather have super-solid Star Wars movies every two to three years than annual releases that afterwards we are all looking at each other wondering why we just gave Disney more of our money.

You can play all the passive 'than Justice League' or 'more than Justice League' games you want. That's the shame of it. Disney is missing an opportunity to make these truly amazing experiences for the long-term.

20 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Han Solo brought in less on Friday (including Thursday night previews) than Justice League did...

There were only about 22 ppl total in my deluxe 3D with Ultra-sound theater for the 1st Sat. matinee of Solo. Now that it is sunnier on the weekends, guess the parents are keeping the kids at home for a bbq? Still I give solo 8 out of :) 10, as I liked the twist and turns with Beckett and Chy'ra. Nice to see Paul Bettany (Marvel's Vision, Priest) get solid lines and action. Seemed like quite a lot of dark, muddy filmed scenes of special FX.