• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, drotto said:

I wonder if the movie was "small scale" until they went off the rails with reshoots.  Say the budget was 175 million then they spent 100 million more to "fix" the film.  If they had tried to salvage the film with what they had shot and made 450 million Disney would have made money.

Instead, Disney bought into this idea that the film was destined to make massive bucks because all the other movies had. But they needed to fix it first, and fixing it worked with Rogue One. An extra 100 million is peanuts if it gives you a chance to break 1 billion again. To them Star Wars seemed bulletproof, so why not go for it. However, if they want to keep making one movie per year, they must dial back expectations and understand that many great movies "only" make 500 million. 

The MCU gets this 100%. They know some films have much lower earning potential and budget them accordingly. 

This movie didn't "seem" like it should be that expensive, but if the movie was basically done twice, yes, I suppose that makes sense.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:13 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Some truth to this as looking at the summer schedule it looks weak. In the end Han Solo might be considered a hit compared to what's coming up in June,July and August.

What are the four big ones?

Jurassic World 2,Incredibles 2, Ant-Man 2 and another Mission Impossible.

All generic sequels. Maybe Ant-Man will surprise and be better than the first one,plus the Marvel anticipation after Avengers.

But, for the most part nothing that makes me want to rush out and go see.

I will wait until they all come out on demand Amazon or Netflix. :whatthe:

Some good movies I wish to see this summer?‼️❤️‼️

Really kind of shocking, as even though some Star Wars movies were not critical hits they still performed at the box office.

I guess the force wasn't with this one.

Solo Is Officially the First Star Wars Movie to Flop.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/06/solo-star-wars-box-office-flop

So far, the Han Solo-focused prequel has barely made back half of its highly inflated budget

Given its earnings so far, in fact, this might be the first Star Wars movie to officially flop.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Saw this with my daughter and it wasn't bad at all and I enjoyed it, but was it really necessary?  Definitely liked it better than TLJ but I would prefer practically anything to that.  

I can only hope that Solo flopping puts a stop to Kennedy and Rian Johnson  from being allowed to play in the Star Wars sandbox anymore.  

23 hours ago, kdoginohio said:

yeah, finally saw it. wasn't that bad. kinda all over the place, imho. only question i have is,

Hide contents

who does Kira become in the Star Wars universe? Shmee?

That's an interesting theory. Shmi doesn't seem to have any background in opulence and luxury, so I doubt it, but who knows.

I figured they were working on some backstory for Rey.

12 hours ago, paperheart said:

This was to be expected. Solo had no Jedi or War, just a few small battles. I'm not sure a Boba Fett film would be much more exciting than Solo without those 2 elements. I'll say it again, they need to start a new trio of trilogies based around Yoda without touching upon any previous films. Now that Disney killed off the original cast, it's just not as interesting. Chewie is really the only one remaining after Fisher's passing & I don't think I could stomach Maryl Streep taking her place (not sure about the current status of that debacle).

4 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

This was to be expected. Solo had no Jedi or War, just a few small battles. I'm not sure a Boba Fett film would be much more exciting than Solo without those 2 elements. I'll say it again, they need to start a new trio of trilogies based around Yoda without touching upon any previous films. Now that Disney killed off the original cast, it's just not as interesting. Chewie is really the only one remaining after Fisher's passing & I don't think I could stomach Maryl Streep taking her place (not sure about the current status of that debacle).

I am not sold Luke's dead yet. We will see in I guess in Star Wars IX

If the original cast is indeed dead,than I like your Yoda storyline idea. That would be cool.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I can't believe how badly KK and Rian Johnson have ruined this franchise...it's mind blowing...how utterly toxic and stupid of Disney. I've loved Star Wars more than most even reading this. Heck, it was my career for a few years. I've put in my time as a fan and someone engaged with it. Now it's just so chaotically broken and distorted I almost find myself grateful there may not be many more movies....wow....

I just watched Ready Player One the other day & the battle felt much more like part of a Star Wars film than anything we see in Solo.

There's no way Disney is giving up on Star Wars after spending 4 Billion & maybe making back 1.5, but they certainly have to reevaluate their approach.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:29 PM, Buzzetta said:

Ok... It was much better than I expected. Word of mouth was not very good on this and the attendance showed. When I went to see Rogue One the theater was packed. For Solo, I bought three tickets this afternoon on the way home from work. The three of us sat in a theater that was definitely not sold out. However, 

The movie IS a heist movie. There are elements of the Fast and the Furious 5 (As far as the heist aspect), Mad Max, Mission Impossible, AND Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Alden Ehrenreich is believable in the roll and gets by as Han Solo without trying to be Harrison Ford playing Han Solo if you understand. The guy that took over Chewbacca is also very good. Harrelson shines as Tobias Beckett. As reported Donald Glover's Lando steals the show. 

If you know watched the Clone Wars TV series and Rebels then you will appreciate the rewrites and reshoots that Ron Howard made in order to better fit it into the timeline. There are a lot of references without being obnoxious about it. 

What I most appreciated was that it told an original story. That was my biggest gripe with Force Awakens. Even though we know where these characters are going, the --script is tight enough to tell an original story and enter new ground simply from a few throwaway lines in the original trilogy. The Kessell Run is fully explained and is compelling to watch. How Han meets Chewbacca is also revealed. How Han get's his "look", his gun, and his attitude is also addressed. 

I promise you that Jabba the Hutt and Boba Fett are NOT in this movie. However, there is a big reveal in the end. If you watched the Clone Wars and Rebels then you will be pleasantly surprised. Alden Ehrenreich signed up for a three picture deal so it looks like they are headed to Tattooine next OR they are leaving the ending up to the imagination. 

My current ranking after seeing all ten films:

1 - Episode IV: A New Hope
2 - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 
3 - Episode VIII: Last Jedi
4 - Rogue One 
5 - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
6 - Episode III Revenge of the Sith 
7 - Solo: A Star Wars Story - Might be better with another viewing
8 - Episode II: Attack of the Clones
9 - Episode I: Phantom Menace
10 - Episode VII: The Force Awakens 

My disappointment with Force Awakens is that it just rehashes the best of moments of the original trilogy and does not really do anything storywise. Han Solo, Like Rogue One, the Prequels and the Last Jedi, create an original story. You may not like that story, but it is something new unlike the hack job that Abrams gave us. 

3 out of 5 stars. 

More importantly though... there are 343 more days until Avengers 4.

This was a far more enjoyable movie than some reviews made it out to be, at least for me. Definitely picking this up on DVD. Loved it.