• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, ghengishahn said:

Rotten Tomatoes has removed the Want to See score.  Last I saw it, I think it was down to 24%.

2019-02-26 09_13_40-Captain Marvel (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes.png

These people organizing and participating in these score attacks are so toxic. Better they focused all that energy back on something else.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

These people organizing and participating in these score attacks are so toxic. Better they focused all that energy back on something else.

Yep, the movie will still come close to 1 billion.

These same people tried to do this to Black Panther a year ago and Black Panther went on to win three Oscars and do over 1 billion in box office.

16 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

These same people tried to do this to Black Panther a year ago and Black Panther went on to win three Oscars and do over 1 billion in box office.

My gut says it won't come close to a billion worldwide.  It will do ok but unless the story is just spectacular (doubtful) I only see small success on this one.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

Did you make that up, as it's actually really good.

I''m afraid so. :( I've watched enough interviews with the Russo Bros. to realize how truly detail conscious they are, so if Thanos is truly as cursed by knowledge as he claims to be and knows who a smart- playboy is, I figure he definitely knows about someone as powerful as Cap Marvel is rumored to be. 

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

My gut says it won't come close to a billion worldwide.  It will do ok but unless the story is just spectacular (doubtful) I only see small success on this one.

China and the international markets will make it close.

Ant-Man and Wasp did over 622 million. It will beat that.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Raise your hand if you were hoping he would say "Royale with Cheese" somewhere in the middle of that.

I was hoping she would tell him she wanted mayo with her fries. Then he could reply "Yeeeuucck!"

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I'm thinking 700 - 750 million worldwide but i'd not be shocked if it did Antman 2 numbers (625 million).

41 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm thinking 700 - 750 million worldwide but i'd not be shocked if it did Antman 2 numbers (625 million).

You could be right with 750 million. It definitely will beat the Ant-Man movies.

I expect it to get high plus rating on Rotten Tomatoes by the critics. This will be a huge hit leaving the same group of people who doubted the Black Panther and Into The Spider Verse movies dumbfounded again.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I wouldn't assume this film needs to make $1B in order to be a success. if it does solid numbers, scores high with audiences and leads to a sequel that to me is a win. No matter what the critics have to say.

54 minutes ago, fett said:

I''m afraid so. :( I've watched enough interviews with the Russo Bros. to realize how truly detail conscious they are, so if Thanos is truly as cursed by knowledge as he claims to be and knows who a smart- playboy is, I figure he definitely knows about someone as powerful as Cap Marvel is rumored to be. 

But you may be on to something. An article recently called out how an Endgame popcorn tin bucket had them back-to-back.

'Avengers: Endgame': Captain Marvel Is Back-To-Back With Thanos On New Merchandise

UTrq88Q.jpg

A new Avengers: Endgame AMC collectible tin has surfaced online, which features Brie Larson's Captain Marvel back to back with Josh Brolin's Thanos, which is fitting since Cap is expected to play a significant part in turning the tide against the Mad Titan. The tin also features slick versions of Iron Man, Black Widow, Hulk, Captain America, Ant-Man, Thor, Nebular, War Machine, and Rocket Raccoon.

As for how you get this new tin, that we're not sure of, but we do know we definitely want one, and these will probably be limited as well, so we'll keep you updated when we learn more.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Just realize with China it was one of the markets that ran lower for a female-led superhero film compared to recent male-led films.

Although it could surprise us all and go 'Aquaman big' this time around.

DC_MCU_BO190226a.PNG.3d0bb0daafd7ea67f5ce35fcdfbb7134.PNG

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Just realize with China it was one of the markets that ran lower for a female-led superhero film compared to recent male-led films.

Good point about China. My reasoning it will do so good is I think more people see this as a Marvel event film than a female superhero film.

Got a lot more going for it than just Captain Marvel. We got skrulls and Nick Fury as well. 

I am really optimistic with this movie.

19 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Good point about China. My reasoning it will do so good is I think more people see this as a Marvel event film than a female superhero film.

Got a lot more going for it than just Captain Marvel. We got skrulls and Nick Fury as well. 

I am really optimistic with this movie.

I get it about wanting to see a favorite character in a film or TV show succeed.

But with Captain Marvel's estimated production budget at $152M, even if it did $600M that's a 3.94X revenue ratio. Though it will probably end up much higher than this. Either way, it will be a success.

There will  be markets that CM does not play as well in because of the female lead.  Remember that Wonder Woman under performed in several markets and was closer to a 50/50 domestic to foreign split, unlike the 40/60 split which is where many super hero movies have been running. I think if you put the same splits and similar market issues on CM it will negatively affect the foreign numbers.  This brings me back to my prediction of 350 to 375 mil domestic and the same foreign resulting in 700 to 750 mil total.

11 minutes ago, drotto said:

Over under on CM vs. Wonder Woman?

Personally, I think WW will come out on top.

I am going out on a limb with Captain Marvel.

I don't see it as a CM vs Wonder Woman matchup,but more like Marvel event movie vs Wonder Woman.