• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I read (a rumour?) somewhere that they used a body double for certain "rear" shots.  

Meanwhile, in other news, is it the same RT "trolls" pushing this film's early IMDb to a 5.6? (shrug)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4154664/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

-J.

Probably, but does it really matter? Brie pissed people off & this is the backlash she will likely be seeing in any film she stars in for a while. Could even make End Game totals look more like the Last Jedi than Force Awakens/Infinity War, just to spite her. It's ultimately up to viewers imho. If the movie does well in theaters, does it really matter where ratings land? If her speech does cost Disney 1 billion in ticket sales between CM & EG, I can't imagine investors will want her to lead phase 4 anymore.

6 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Probably, but does it really matter? Brie pissed people off & this is the backlash she will likely be seeing in any film she stars in for a while. Could even make End Game totals look more like the Last Jedi than Force Awakens/Infinity War, just to spite her. It's ultimately up to viewers imho. If the movie does well in theaters, does it really matter where ratings land? If her speech does cost Disney 1 billion in ticket sales between CM & EG, I can't imagine investors will want her to lead phase 4 anymore.

I think Captain Marvel as a last minute insert into ten years of story telling, and then trying to use that character as the pivot point for the next 10 years is a poor decision. They need a character which has build up and continuity with more than just the bookend of the first ten years. Of course, Kevin never saw fit to get my advice before so he will just have to live with those consequences! :acclaim:

3 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

I think Captain Marvel as a last minute insert into ten years of story telling, and then trying to use that character as the pivot point for the next 10 years is a poor decision.

I think I missed something.  Feige said this about Captain Marvel?

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I can't really get behind the idea of Captain Marvel being "just dropped on us" when the character has been around for half a century.  Given that Marvel has a stable of hundreds of viable characters, most of them will be "just dropped" into the films at some point.

Yes, she has been around for decades in the comics, I agree, however I am talking about the movie universe.  I've had a couple of non-comic collectors ask me about her.  They only know and enjoy the marvel universe from the movies and they don't understand where this "all powerful" character came from and why they should be jazzed about her.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I think I missed something.  Feige said this about Captain Marvel?

No I did, just regretting that over the past 10 years Kev didnt consult me seeing the poor job he's done with the franchise. :shy:

9 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

They only know and enjoy the marvel universe from the movies and they don't understand where this "all powerful" character came from and why they should be jazzed about her.

If she had showed up at the end of Infinity War or Endgame and zapped Thanos in the face with a plasma bolt, then yea, I agree.  Given that they just devoted an entire film to answering why they should be jazzed about her, I don't see the issue.  Obviously they're going to find ways to introduce their more popular characters into the films, and this is about how it's going to go.  10 years of films is a lot, but it's not relative to the full stable of Marvel characters.  Ten years and 20-some films is just a drink of water from a deep well of source material created over the last three-quarters of a century.

Edited by fantastic_four

The summary of the reviews seems to be this, (obviously I have not seen the move, but am trying to fairly summarize the reviews). CM is an average to somewhat above average movie.  It sticks fairly close to the Marvel formula, does not really take any risks. Seems like a middle of the road Marvel film.  It has some hints to Endgame, but does not seem to be essential to Endgame other than introducing Captian Marvel.

The uproar that centers around this being a feminist film seems exaggerated by both sides. It seems to be there but is mild and not in your face like the marketing, commentary,  and controversy would leave you to believe. From the female side Wonder Woman appears to be the better movie.

The reviews seems very split about Brie Larson.  About half say she is good, the other half saying she is bland and possibly miscast.  She does seem to be sighted as one of the more consistant weak links in the film, with most of the other major actors being sited for better performances. 

So there you have it. A enjoyable, somewhat typical popcorn Marvel movie.  If you have like the MCU in the past you will probably like this movie, but do not expect to be blown away by it. It does not seem to be on the level of Black Panther, Avengers, etc.  

Edited by drotto

48 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

You guys are hilarious. 

How’d that firing of Kathleen Kennedy go?

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Larson was the "trendy" pick for the role when Marvel made it.

And I don't think the people who made that pick actually saw "Room".  

I challenge anyone here to sit through that movie in come out of it extolling the acting prowess of Larson.

And if you don't feel like doing that I will summarize the entire movie for you right here:

First half- Small child yelling and crying hysterically and relentlessly inside the Room.

Second half- Brie Larson yelling and crying hysterically and relentlessly outside the Room.

Interesting concept for a movie though.  

-J.

It’s okay slugger. The ‘boys wrestling in tight spandex’ movies still out number those pesky girl-power movies. No reason to feel threatened. 

38 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

You guys are hilarious. 

How’d that firing of Kathleen Kennedy go?

I honestly didn't know who she was till I just googled her right now. I like watching the films but I don't keep up with what's going on behind the scenes of Star Wars or most films for that matter. Anyways, it really makes no difference to me. I'm not going in the theaters with any bias, but some will. Ticket sales will tell how people feel, but I hope the films do great. Brie's comments came off as that of an arrogant & immature girl. I have no issue with the point she was making, it's more about how she made it that I think got people upset. I'm not going to hold her words against CM or the MCU, though some comments I've read online show me others are. She's entitled to say how she feels, just as others are entitled to also.

Edited by chezmtghut

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Which comments?

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color.

Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie."

She could have said "I would like to see more reviews on films like A Wrinkle in Time from women of color, since it was meant as a love letter to women of color", without any backlash. I'm not a fan of hers, but I have nothing against her either. I honestly find the whole thing oddly amusing. Everyone seems to take everyone else's words as microaggressions these days.

1 hour ago, RedRaven said:

I think Captain Marvel as a last minute insert into ten years of story telling, and then trying to use that character as the pivot point for the next 10 years is a poor decision. They need a character which has build up and continuity with more than just the bookend of the first ten years.

I'm confused - last I checked Disney is following the exact same formula with Captain Marvel as with some key Phase 1 heroes.

She'll have had a post-credits stinger introduction that hinted at - but did not show - her and one solo film before appearing in an Avengers movie.

Similarly, both Captain America and Thor each had a post-credits stinger introduction that hinted at - but did not show - them and one solo film before appearing in an Avengers movie.

14 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm confused - last I checked Disney is following the exact same formula with Captain Marvel as with some key Phase 1 heroes.

She'll have had a post-credits stinger introduction that hinted at - but did not show - her and one solo film before appearing in an Avengers movie.

Similarly, both Captain America and Thor each had a post-credits stinger introduction that hinted at - but did not show - them and one solo film before appearing in an Avengers movie.

Valid point. They brought in Cap & Thor in 2011 for 1 solo film each & jumped to The Avengers in 2012. Black Widow only had a cameo more or less in Iron Man 2. Captain Marvel is a 90's prequel, similar to that on Captain America's 40's prequel to the MCU. I don't have an issue with it at all & I want all the Superhero films to do well because I appreciate the fact that these studios are willing to put out hundreds of millions to make them in the first place. Which isn't to say that I don't care about their quality, but it's better to appreciate what we did get rather than just complaining about what we didn't.

Edited by chezmtghut

Chris Struckman is traditionally fair with movies. So I trust in his reviews more than most. 

He calls out how the Nick Furing deaging CGI is so flawless, after that first appearance you forget they are even doing this. Also that the soundtrack was solid. But that the film was bland.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Chris Struckman is traditionally fair with movies. So I trust in his reviews more than most. 

He calls out how the Nick Furing deaging CGI is so flawless, after that first appearance you forget they are even doing this. Also that the soundtrack was solid. But that the film was bland.

As always the total box office will not so much hinge on opening weekend ( obviously important), but how it holds second weekend.  MCU good will, and Endgame will help the opening massively. The second weekend will see if it can stand on it's own.  The other advantage to CM is the rest of March is weak.

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

The other advantage to CM is the rest of March is weak.

I think Jordan Peele's Us will open to $40-$45 million. That means even if Captain Marvel does really well, it will still likely fall to the # 2 position in its third weekend.

8 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I think Jordan Peele's Us will open to $40-$45 million. That means even if Captain Marvel does really well, it will still likely fall to the # 2 position in its third weekend.

It will have arguably 4 weeks, with US taking a hit to weeks in then. Shazam will basically end CM run, especially with Endgame at the end of April. 

Still do not see this breaking 1 billion, but it may go higher than I originally guessed, still think it falls short of WW.  So call it 750 to 800 mil.