• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Can't stop won't stop trolling the good Captain, huh? Well, I'd say Carol definitely had a character arc in her movie. While it wasn't as drastic as Tony Stark or Thor or Steven Strange who all went from total d****ebag to hero in the course of their movie, Carol's was maybe a little more like Steve Rogers, but still her own. We follow her journey from a Kree soldier with no memories, to her regaining those memories from the journey she chooses to make, and to the point she learns the universe is a bigger place from Talos the Skull which leads her to take on the Supreme Intelligence, and then power up. And let's face it, powering up is the real point of most of these super hero movies. Then TwoPiece talks of "feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU." What feminist tropes? You mean that the filmmakers don't make Carol the object of some man's desire, or allow Carol to have an equal footing with the men in the movie, or allow Carol to be as much of a mess as Tony Stark or Scott Lang or Steven Strange? How is that not in keeping with what the MCU does or what Marvel Comics in general does (or is learning how to do better)? Yes, Girl Power is a central theme in Captain Marvel, from its use of 90's girl band music in the soundtrack, to Carol and Maria having a job (Air Force pilot) few women had in the late 80's/early 90's, to their sister-like friendship being the emotional core of the movie, but those things strengthen the movie and make it a unique chapter in the MCU collection, just as Spider-Man Homecoming is unique as a film about being a high school teenager. So troll away, trolls, but the majority that liked or loved Captain Marvel liked or loved it not because we're "SJW's with an agenda" but because it was a good movie with a lot of things to like or love about it.

Great post.

45 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Can't stop won't stop trolling the good Captain, huh? Well, I'd say Carol definitely had a character arc in her movie. While it wasn't as drastic as Tony Stark or Thor or Steven Strange who all went from total d****ebag to hero in the course of their movie, Carol's was maybe a little more like Steve Rogers, but still her own. We follow her journey from a Kree soldier with no memories, to her regaining those memories from the journey she chooses to make, and to the point she learns the universe is a bigger place from Talos the Skull which leads her to take on the Supreme Intelligence, and then power up. And let's face it, powering up is the real point of most of these super hero movies. Then TwoPiece talks of "feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU." What feminist tropes? You mean that the filmmakers don't make Carol the object of some man's desire, or allow Carol to have an equal footing with the men in the movie, or allow Carol to be as much of a mess as Tony Stark or Scott Lang or Steven Strange? How is that not in keeping with what the MCU does or what Marvel Comics in general does (or is learning how to do better)? Yes, Girl Power is a central theme in Captain Marvel, from its use of 90's girl band music in the soundtrack, to Carol and Maria having a job (Air Force pilot) few women had in the late 80's/early 90's, to their sister-like friendship being the emotional core of the movie, but those things strengthen the movie and make it a unique chapter in the MCU collection, just as Spider-Man Homecoming is unique as a film about being a high school teenager. So troll away, trolls, but the majority that liked or loved Captain Marvel liked or loved it not because we're "SJW's with an agenda" but because it was a good movie with a lot of things to like or love about it.

This is quite an uneducated post.

I suppose you glossed over the 'men have kept me down my whole life and only by accepting that and zapping my power-regulator can I overcome adversity and become a Super Saiyan' during the let down of a 3rd Act?

I couldn't care less about her having, or being, a love interest. Are you suggesting that feminist tropes don't exist without a love interest..?

"Girl Power is a central theme in Captain Marvel". That's called feminist elitism. So, thank you, for proving my point.

It's the same as Tony Stark's sexism harming the likability of his character, early on.

Equality:

Tony Stark's sexism hurt his character.

Carol Danvers' "girl power" hurts her character.

Luckily, though, Iron Man wasn't chock-full of sexism.

Captain Marvel was a mediocre movie, only in-part, because of the feminist elitism. The movie suffers from far more problems than the singular argument you're trying to make. You've simply focused on 1 thing that you think you can argue. I suppose that means you're conceding all of the other concerns. A "7/10" is mediocre.

Edited by TwoPiece

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It's the same as Tony Stark's sexism harming the likability of his character, early on.

Equality:

Tony Stark's sexism hurt his character.

Carol Danvers' "girl power" hurts her character.

Luckily, though, Iron Man wasn't chock-full of sexism.

Captain Marvel was a mediocre movie, only in-part, because of the feminist elitism. The movie suffers from far more problems than the singular argument you're trying to make. You've simply focused on 1 thing that you think you can argue. I suppose that means you're concede all of the other concerns. A "7/10" is mediocre.

I think you're confusing "girl power" with "a girl with powers." Seems like you're having trouble with the latter.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

7/10 seems like a good score, I would think 5/10 is mediocre (shrug)

5/10 would be an "F". For failure.

7/10 would be a C-. Mediocre range.

It's also "mediocre" because it's a bottom-half film when you list out the MCU films it exists with.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

I think you're confusing "girl power" with "a girl with powers." Seems like you're having trouble with the latter.

Are you?

Captain Marvel is literally "a girl with powers". You specifically said, "girl power". Is English your first language?

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Are you?

Captain Marvel is literally "a girl with powers". You specifically said, "girl power". Is English your first language?

When I speak of girl power in Captain Marvel, I'm not referring to Carol Danvers' photon blasters just like "man power" wouldn't refer to Doctor Strange's ability to wield sorcery. When I say "girl power," I'm talking about the story elements which the filmmakers used to tell their tale such as the 90's girl band soundtrack, the sisterhood friendship between Carol and Maria, allowing Carol Danvers to be a mess as a human being(a characteristic reserved for men in lesser movies), things you might find in any intelligent movie with a woman at its center. 

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

When I speak of girl power in Captain Marvel, I'm not referring to Carol Danvers' photon blasters just like "man power" wouldn't refer to Doctor Strange's ability to wield sorcery. When I say "girl power," I'm talking about the story elements which the filmmakers used to tell their tale such as the 90's girl band soundtrack, the sisterhood friendship between Carol and Maria, allowing Carol Danvers to be a mess as a human being(a characteristic reserved for men in lesser movies), things you might find in any intelligent movie with a woman at its center. 

And yes, Captain Marvel is an intelligent movie. Maybe that's why you don't get it, TwoPiece?

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

How is Carol a "mess of a human being"? She's literally bad at nothing. She struggles with nothing. Memory loss obviously isn't a hurdle if she thrived as a Kree for 6 years under the same condition. Once her full power is unleashed she's seemingly unstoppable. She doesn't struggle for a millisecond with "adapting" to her amount of power.

She doesn't have a character arc. She's one being at one level doing one thing and then switches sides and becomes a more powerful being all in an instant. No arc to be spoken of. Just A to Z with no alphabet in between.

And, as I've said, some of the writing was actually quite good. I don't understand how they wrote such a poor 3rd Act when I thought the first hour or so was mostly great.

Lmfao! "Intelligent"? Wow. It's a mediocre popcorn flick that doesn't offer much, if anything, to actually think about. It's a good waste of 2 hours on a slow day.

My Phase 1 marathon starts tonight, and I'll be wasting 2 hours on a worse movie - The Incredible Hulk. The other 5 movies will be tons of fun.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Lmfao! "Intelligent"? Wow. It's a mediocre popcorn flick that doesn't offer much, if anything, to actually think about. It's a good waste of 2 hours on a slow day.

My Phase 1 marathon starts tonight, and I'll be wasting 2 hours on a worse movie - The Incredible Hulk. The other 5 movies will be tons of fun.

The Incredible Hulk was worse than CM? Incredible Hulk is one of the few I actually like (shrug)

Just now, Logan510 said:

The Incredible Hulk was worse than CM? Incredible Hulk is one of the few I actually like (shrug)

Based on memory? Yes. I haven't seen it in 4 years, so my memory could be poor.

I just remember being very unsatisfied with Abomination and the end. IIRC, they even said Abomination was still alive in captivity? He's never reappeared, though.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Based on memory? Yes. I haven't seen it in 4 years, so my memory could be poor.

I just remember being very unsatisfied with Abomination and the end. IIRC, they even said Abomination was still alive in captivity? He's never reappeared, though.

Yes, I didn't like Abomination much, but the tone of the movie and Norton as Banner was about as close as Marvel has gotten...and surprise, Banner wasn't a sarcastic funny man the emtire movie ^^

This movie was one of the worst Marvel movies IMO.  Flat story line; flat jokes; drags in a number of spots; hard to follow in a number of spots.  The decision to "humanize" the Skrulls was a colossal mistake and failure - it didn't work.

A lot of the actors gave me the impression that they would rather have been any place else than in this movie.  The writing and the acting left me dis-interested in the entire production.  This movie had no emotion whatsoever.  Hence, I found myself not caring what happened to any of the characters.

I went for the continuity and story arcs and that's all that I got - no more.  I couldn't care less if I ever see this incarnation of Captain Marvel again.

2 out of 10

Edited by pemart1966

22 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

How is Carol a "mess of a human being"? She's literally bad at nothing. She struggles with nothing. Memory loss obviously isn't a hurdle if she thrived as a Kree for 6 years under the same condition. Once her full power is unleashed she's seemingly unstoppable. She doesn't struggle for a millisecond with "adapting" to her amount of power.

Being her mentor, Yonn-Rogg kicks Carol's butt twice in hand to hand, first while training, and second, on Mar Vell's ship. She loses her target twice, first with So Larr the spy, then the Skrull on the train. In the mind scrubbing sequence on the Skrull ship, we see her crash her go-cart trying to go further and faster, we see her being put down by her fellow Air Force mates as she's a woman in a time when women weren't accepted in certain roles in the military. We see her awkwardness in several scenes like when she crash lands on Earth, wears a rubber suit in public, when Fury refers to her looking like "someone's disaffected niece" with the flannel. We see her fighting for the wrong side, the oppressors. Even after she powers up and goes Binary, she learns the powers as she goes. She doesn't realize she can fly until she starts falling into the canyon and has to reach inside to find that power. While flying, she gets bounced around a few times as she learns "new wings." And yes, she's pretty powerful at the end and has a decent grasp of those powers fairly quickly, but you know who you can also say that about in their origin movie? Doctor Strange. He literally defeats Dormammu while still a trainee at the Hogwarts school. And in the first Iron Man movie, Tony Stark is flying around in that Iron Man suit like he's been doing it for three movies. And poor dorky Steve Rogers turned into quite the martial artist action hero after his super soldier serum injection. Muscles are one thing, but hand to hand combat and being able to handle a flying vibranium shield with so little training? Seems like an MCU thing, doesn't it?