• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Oddball said:

She won Best Actress that year while DiCaprio won Best Actor. (Sorry, my OCD) And she deserved it, she had a quiet yet powerful performance. She has also had great performances in bad movies. I think she was just off her mark in Captain Marvel for me. Plenty of great actors and actresses have delivered mediocre performances including De Niro. Jared Leto is one of my favorite actors but he did not deliver the right Joker. I think the director has a big responsibility in bringing out the right performance from the actor as well. But Larson obviously knocked it out of the park for the majority in this thread so it worked for many of you. Just don’t use box office as a gauge for film quality. It’s not like Transformers, Fast and Furious and Aquaman will be getting a Criterion release anytime soon. My daughters haven’t seen it yet so will take them soon. I watched it online in Afghanistan. They are fine critics as well for their age, they loved Dark Knight and disliked Batman V Superman. So they are on the right track.

One of the things I love about Brie Larson being Carol Danvers (I'm not calling her Captain Marvel until she officially takes the name) is that she nails the killer dagger stare. She's got these big piercing eyes along with this ability to freeze in motion that says "I"m about to beat your a**."

I also loved how Brie let Carol be whatever she wanted her to be as the film progressed, which was particularly poignant being that Carol is literally a blank slate for most of the movie. Is she a stoic Kree soldier, is she a fun loving Earth girl? We don't know, and neither does Carol. I apologize in advance for the NFL analogy, but Brie reminds me of an ultra-talented NFL wide receiver, like Chad Ochocinco or Odell Beckham Jr, who can turn on a dime and be gone the next second. You think you're getting one route, but before you know it, Odell has the ball and is gone with it. Like those guys, Brie has the ability to cover a wide arrange of emotions in one scene, she's so smart and so quick. Her raw talent is unquestionable. For instance, in many scenes throughout Captain Marvel, she seems to have a very relaxed demeanor, almost being herself before the camera (the exact opposite of stiff), a kind of an indie style approach to acting. However, when the scene requires it, she explodes or pierces with emotion, on a dime. It's very precise, very intense, and there's no mistaking where her energy is being directed. And then the next minute, Carol is displaying yet another emotion. Brie makes our hero very hard to pin down.

The reason why Brie's acting approach in Captain Marvel was so effective for me is that it doesn't allow us to nail down exactly who Carol is. She could be anybody. We don't know who she is and neither does Carol. And that's the point of Carol Danvers missing identity and who she was in the comics. But also, because  Carol won't stand still for us, it creates surprise, maybe uneasy surprise for some who want to know everything. It's a kind of art this approach. Like an expressionistic painting. But it also speaks to who we are as humans. We all like to think we know we are and who everybody else is around us, but aren't we all blank canvases in a way. To stop making yourself up as you go along is to kind of die. Brie Larson's Carol Danvers was very much alive in Captain Marvel, from beginning to end.

So yeah, for me, Brie was plenty on the mark in Captain Marvel.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

One of the things I love about Brie Larson being Carol Danvers (I'm not calling her Captain Marvel until she officially takes the name) is that she nails the killer dagger stare. She's got these big piercing eyes along with this ability to freeze in motion that says "I"m about to beat your a**."

I also loved how Brie let Carol be whatever she wanted her to be as the film progressed, which was particularly poignant being that Carol is literally a blank slate for most of the movie. Is she a stoic Kree soldier, is she a fun loving Earth girl? We don't know, and neither does Carol. I apologize in advance for the NFL analogy, but Brie reminds me of an ultra-talented NFL wide receiver, like Chad Ochocinco or Odell Beckham Jr, who can turn on a dime and be gone the next second. You think you're getting one route, but before you know it, Odell has the ball and is gone with it. Like those guys, Brie has the ability to cover a wide arrange of emotions in one scene, she's so smart and so quick. And she does that in Captain Marvel. 

Brie also had a very relaxed acting demeanor throughout the movie (the exact opposite of stiff). This style reminds me of Bruce Lee's martial arts style, btw. Bruce's technique would be to maintain a relaxed manner so as not to telegraph his moves, but when it mattered, when he had his opening, Bruce would tighten up and the next millisecond, his foot or fist is making contact with the other guy's face. I'm not saying Brie Larson is a grandmaster like that, but she's ultra-talented like that. It's kind of an indie style approach to acting which I noticed in the movie, and which I appreciated. 

So yeah, for me, Brie was plenty on the mark in Captain Marvel.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I forgot to mention, the reason why Brie's (above) acting approach in Captain Marvel was so effective for me, is that it doesn't allow one to nail down who exactly who Carol is, because as I said, Carol could be anybody, we don't know, and neither does she. That's the point of Carol Danvers missing identity. And that's who she was in the comics, too. But also, not being able to nail down who Carol is, is that it creates surprise, maybe uneasy surprise for some who want to know everything, but it's a kind of art. But it also speaks to who we are as humans. We all like to think we know we are and who everybody else is around us, but aren't we all blank canvases in a way. To stop making yourself up as you go along is to kind of die. Brie Larson's Carol Danvers was very much alive in Captain Marvel, from beginning to end.

Wait. I didn't realize you liked Captain Marvel. You should state this more often. And clearly.

:insane:

:baiting:

The blockbuster success of Captain Marvel, Marvel Studios’ first female-led entry in its Marvel Cinematic Universe, could help nudge the Disney-owned studio towards greenlighting the proposed all-female Avengers spinoff championed by Marvel’s leading ladies.

This proposed female-centric spinoff would assemble Marvel’s leading ladies — Larson, Avengers stars Scarlett Johansson and Elizabeth Olsen, Guardians of the Galaxy stars Zoe Saldana, Pom Klementieff, and Karen Gillan, Thor star Tessa Thompson, Ant-Man star Evangeline Lilly, and Black Panther stars Danai Gurira and Letitia Wright, among others — as an offshoot of the Avengers franchise, mirroring Marvel Comics’ A-Force team.

Gillan, who plays Nebula, previously recounted how Larson emerged as a natural leader when bringing the idea of an all-female Avengers to Feige after a snapshot of the assembled actresses went viral.

“Brie Larson was like, ‘We should go up to Kevin Feige and tell him to make an all-female Marvel movie,’ so we marched up there in a group, a whole herd of us, and said that to him,” Gillan told Indie Wire.

“He was like, ‘Yeah, that would be amazing!’ but he didn’t really commit to it, but he thought it would be a great idea.”

Lilly similarly once argued Captain Marvel is a natural selection for team leader, but added the female-led Avengers spin-off could deviate away from having any one member installed as captain and “change the game” entirely.

“I think I’m being a bit old fashioned and maybe a little bit rigid about this, because if it is an all-female Avengers film, then the sky’s the limit. We can reinvent the wheel,” she said. “We don’t have to do anything that anyone’s ever done before. We can just make it all up and change the game.”

I think Feige's hand is going to be forced if they keep this up. Which is a good thing with that much star power.

33 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't think I was being clear enough how much I like Captain Marvel, so I went back and edited.

'Like Bruce Lee's martial arts technique...'

:roflmao:

Okay, where are copying this from? When I went to respond, the site editor had the indicator asking if I wanted to use plain text.

Did you find some Lorem Ipsum generator that instead gives movie reviews?

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

'Like Bruce Lee's martial arts technique...'

:roflmao:

Okay, where are copying this from? When I went to respond, the site editor had the indicator asking if I wanted to use plain text.

Did you find some Lorem Ipsum generator that instead gives movie reviews?

I don't think anyone else is wacky enough to compare Brie Larson's acting technique to Bruce Lee's kung fu. Thas all me I'm afraid. Check your site editor?

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't think anyone else is wacky enough to compare Brie Larson's acting technique to Bruce Lee's kung fu. Thas all me I'm afraid. Check your site editor?

It's not wacky if it's your opinion. There is nothing wrong with that.

But it's an interesting indicator that appeared.

13 hours ago, Oddball said:

She won Best Actress that year while DiCaprio won Best Actor. (Sorry, my OCD) And she deserved it, she had a quiet yet powerful performance. She has also had great performances in bad movies. I think she was just off her mark in Captain Marvel for me. Plenty of great actors and actresses have delivered mediocre performances including De Niro. Jared Leto is one of my favorite actors but he did not deliver the right Joker. I think the director has a big responsibility in bringing out the right performance from the actor as well. But Larson obviously knocked it out of the park for the majority in this thread so it worked for many of you. Just don’t use box office as a gauge for film quality. It’s not like Transformers, Fast and Furious and Aquaman will be getting a Criterion release anytime soon. My daughters haven’t seen it yet so will take them soon. I watched it online in Afghanistan. They are fine critics as well for their age, they loved Dark Knight and disliked Batman V Superman. So they are on the right track.

Well for me I thought Brie Larson did an excellent job portraying Captain Marvel with what she had to work with.  It wasn't an Oscar performance but it was rock solid IMO regardless if the movie would have only earned $87 and some pocket change.  Just my 2c

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Does this mean that we'll also get an all-male Avengers spin-off? Y'know, for gender equality's sake.

:facepalm:

You are going to have people go Viking Experience on you.

(:

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Does this mean that we'll also get an all-male Avengers spin-off? Y'know, for gender equality's sake.

:facepalm:

But to be fair, if you go back to the Avengers cast, it really is heavily male already.

emotion01.gif.593337410860c0f52a106c45b34d6ed2.gif

So giving the ladies their turn wouldn't be a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Not all-male, though. If they have Barton on the roster then we're all good.

Granted, they add Scarlet Witch in Age of Ultron, but offset her with her jerk brother Quicksilver and another white dude robot Vision. Then in Civil War let’s add even more dudes with Falcon, Bucky, Black Panther, Spider-Man, War Machine, and Ant-Man. So that’s like 12 male Avengers and two females still. A little uneven isn’t it? That’s about to end.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Granted, they add Scarlet Witch in Age of Ultron, but offset her with her jerk brother Quicksilver and another white dude robot Vision. Then in Civil War let’s add even more dudes with Falcon, Bucky, Black Panther, Spider-Man, War Machine, and Ant-Man. So that’s like 12 male Avengers and two females still. A little uneven isn’t it? That’s about to end.

Why is he a jerk?

Vision isn't white. I guess "he's" a "dude"? It's a robot.

A little historical fact: Most comic characters are males. These stories draw inspiration from source material. That's why most of the characters are males...