• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Yes that is true. Still wondering the full consequences of those "consequences" will be.

He did use time to "hold" Thanos didn't he? Or am I misremembering it? Thanks again Peter Quill!!!!! doh!

Maybe it's a personal thing for me, but I found DS the most interesting of ALL of the MCU movies because it wasn't about "Hulk-boom" power or "pew-pew photon blast" power or even "super-serum super-strong" power, it was much more sci-fi-ish intellectual/spiritual level power which I really dig.

He was using the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak to help subdue Thanos.

Doctor Strange is another superhero film that I find criminally underrated. While it followed the MCU "origin formula" in many aspects, it also broke the 3rd Act trope. The VFX are phenomenal and unique. I wasn't sure how they would pull it off while making it feel true to source material, but they sure as hell did it!

Edited by TwoPiece

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

He was using the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak to help subdue Thanos.

Doctor Strange is another superhero film that I find criminally underrated. While it followed the MCU "origin formula" in many aspects, it also broke the 3rd Act trope. The VFX are phenomenal and unique. I wasn't sure how they would pull it off while making it feel true to source material, but they sure as hell did it!

Ah you see that's why I need to go rewatch it again before Endgame came out. (I still think DS should have tried timelooping Thanos, but maybe like you said, had gotten too much power by then... or go back to Thanos as a baby and kill him... eh, one of 14 million possibilities though).

It's GOT to be a team-effort though with CM providing some octane-boost power to the mix along with Thor, and IM devising a way to get it delivered perhaps?

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

Ah you see that's why I need to go rewatch it again before Endgame came out. (I still think DS should have tried timelooping Thanos, but maybe like you said, had gotten too much power by then... or go back to Thanos as a baby and kill him... eh, one of 14 million possibilities though).

It's GOT to be a team-effort though with CM providing some octane-boost power to the mix along with Thor, and IM devising a way to get it delivered perhaps?

I think it has been mentioned (by someone at Marvel Studios, maybe a comic book reference?) that the Time Stone does not allow its user the ability to travel through time pre-possession.

They're obviously setting Iron Man up as the key. Is it because he's the only one who would get saved by Captain Marvel on her way to Earth post-Decimation? We won't know until... NEXT MONTH!

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

I think that billing this as a sort-of "must-see" prior to Endgame has virtually guaranteed $1 billion.

It's a good movie, but not that good. The Avengers hype, I would think, plays a big part. Good for Disney/MS though.

The next Iron Man 3 that was the quick follow-up to the biggest MCU movie at the time? So having this as a follow-up to Infinity War but right before Endgame, it could be part of what slingshots this to massive numbers.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

I think that billing this as a sort-of "must-see" prior to Endgame has virtually guaranteed $1 billion.

It's a good movie, but not that good. The Avengers hype, I would think, plays a big part. Good for Disney/MS though.

It's not really a stand-alone movie in that respect, kinda more like an "AV Infinity War 1.5".

I hope they have fun getting Carol "caught up" on past events in Endgame like they did with Steve Rogers in AV. Maybe she and Tony can have a "smirk-off" showdown too lol!

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

The next Iron Man 3 that was the quick follow-up to the biggest MCU movie at the time? So having this as a follow-up to Infinity War but right before Endgame, it could be part of what slingshots this to massive numbers.

I'd say it's on the same level as Iron Man 3. A lot of people hate on that one, but what it does is prove that Tony Stark is Iron Man.

The "twist" on the Mandarin and the "pretend to retire" ending both sabotaged its own movie.

Iron Man 3 was a "must-see" back then because there were only 4-6 Avengers lol.

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

It's not really a stand-alone movie in that respect, kinda more like an "AV Infinity War 1.5".

I hope they have fun getting Carol "caught up" on past events in Endgame like they did with Steve Rogers in AV. Maybe she and Tony can have a "smirk-off" showdown too lol!

I would say it's more of a "tie-in". Like one of those comics you need to read to get the full grasp of the Age of Ultron comic story. It also has some history of the Accusers, Infinity Stones, SHIELD, etc.

Without Fury, this would definitely be a weak movie. His inclusion kinda feels like the audience is in the movie. A guy who's figuring everything out along the way.

I would expect Endgame to follow Infinity War's serious nature and tone. Stark's smirk wins just because he's a man. 

:jokealert:

Just now, Chuck Gower said:

Yeah personally I enjoyed Iron Man 3 because it WAS a showcase for RDJ as Tony Stark. 

And I loved it for Shane's Black writing.

Not just the dialogue, but also the twists. 

Curious why folks here seem to be okay with

Spoiler

the Skrulls in Captain Marvel

but not okay with the Mandarin in IM3.

My biggest problem with IM3 was that

Spoiler

Maya Hansen wasn't the Mandarin

That's what Black has said he had in his original -script -- a double-fake-out, and Disney shot him down, supposedly because of fears re. related toy sales.

34 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Incredible!

Half-way to my billion dollar prediction after one week.

It`s crazy I had people debating me about a week ago that it might not beat Ant-Man and Wasp numbers.

lol.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

15 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Agreed for the most part.

This is the penultimate chapter before the ending of the story that’s been built for a decade. People are going to see this if they pay attention to marvel movies at all. You cannot possibly read more into it than that. If this was a stand-alone it would have done half the box office it did.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Agreed for the most part.

This is the penultimate chapter before the ending of the story that’s been built for a decade. People are going to see this if they pay attention to marvel movies at all. You cannot possibly read more into it than that. If this was a stand-alone it would have done half the box office it did.  

-J.

So...you didn't like it?

11 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I would say it's more of a "tie-in". Like one of those comics you need to read to get the full grasp of the Age of Ultron comic story. It also has some history of the Accusers, Infinity Stones, SHIELD, etc.

Without Fury, this would definitely be a weak movie. His inclusion kinda feels like the audience is in the movie. A guy who's figuring everything out along the way.

I would expect Endgame to follow Infinity War's serious nature and tone. Stark's smirk wins just because he's a man. 

:jokealert:

Yeah, they have to keep the serious continuity tone going, but I hope it doesn't permeate the entire movie. They have to lighten it up as they enter the next phase I think.

And besides, Tony had fun with every one of the characters at their expense throughout every one of these films, so he'd have to do the same with Carol.