• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

CM just finished it's first week. It's first 7 days.

Anyone can give their conjecture as to what they THINK it'll end up doing from here on out. And generally it runs in two different directions:

Those who thought it wasn't going to be that big of a film in the first place and just do 'Doctor Strange' numbers - hoping that it crashes.

And those who believed it would be much bigger than that and continues to prove people wrong.

The sides haven't changed. Nothing has changed. 

My prediction is that it'll continue to run DURING Endgame and people will see it a 2nd time (Me and my son are going Sunday). 

It WILL have legs. 

After all it's the first female lead character Marvel movie. It'll keep support.

AND some of us think it's a great superhero movie.

4 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

to be fair, I don't usually look at these movie threads, I don't usually go dumpster diving in Comics General :baiting:but I wanted to hear more about this one because CM's modern backstory is rather convoluted in the comics and I've skipped the last 15 years of modern comics continuity for the most part so I wasn't sure what all the movie changed, kept, or consolidated relative to the books and though that might be discussed here.  

I am definitely not saying this movie is garbage. Never even posted any predictions. I just assumed no matter what Disney/MCU will make it successful. Good for them it is taking off like it is.

DC_MCU_BO190314a.thumb.PNG.2ca78894f736318e6fe0df2a4a258834.PNG

It would be hard to say otherwise it is a massive financial success. And has a portion of its fanbase singing its praises. And then those that didn't see it that way may say otherwise. It happens.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So when people hang on other threads about non-MCU films and repeatedly talk about how much they hated the film, that's okay with you? But if someone notes it is 'good' and it is an MCU film, then they must be picking on the film.

it's an opinion.

Where'd you get that in what he was saying?

He's simply pointing out the same thing that I just said... the same people are still trying to slag the movie despite its success.

Before the movie, it was: This is going to suck, it's not going to do well, I don't like Brie, etc.

Now that it's proven them wrong in the first SEVEN DAYS, it's: I still don't like Brie, oh it's front loaded, it's going to be down 900%, etc.

11 minutes ago, bane said:

And Man of Steel.

actually, I would put MoS as a decent movie. I liked the more Sci Fi angle to it. Liked Krypton and the technology.  Had they not cast Jessie Eisenberg as Lex it might have been a good movie.  

Being the "first female lead character Marvel movie" shouldn't matter. The gender of the character isn't compelling. It's a bias to use it for/against the movie. It's a poor excuse to hype the movie.

Regardless of Captain Marvel's gender - it's a good movie. Due to the poor 3rd Act and, despite at times absolutely great, the poor writing it just isn't more than a "good" movie. Good, at this point in the game, isn't good enough.

It's Phase 3. We needed a Phase 3 film. We didn't get it. We got a Phase 1-style filler. Without the nostalgia of SHIELD and Nick Fury - this is probably a bad movie. Bad "cosmic" CGI, McGuffin power, and another 'fish out of water' story isn't enough.

Just now, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

actually, I would put MoS as a decent movie. I liked the more Sci Fi angle to it. Liked Krypton and the technology.  Had they not cast Jessie Eisenberg as Lex it might have been a good movie.  

LMFAO Alexander Luthor was not in Man of Steel.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I am definitely not saying this movie is garbage. Never even posted any predictions. I just assumed no matter what Disney/MCU will make it successful. Good for them it is taking off like it is.

DC_MCU_BO190314a.thumb.PNG.2ca78894f736318e6fe0df2a4a258834.PNG

It would be hard to say otherwise it is a massive financial success. And has a portion of its fanbase singing its praises. And then those that didn't see it that way may say otherwise. It happens.

I don't think anyone is pointing the finger at YOU. You in general like almost everything comic related, and 'it's good, not great' isn't that far out of line with what an average comic fan might say about. And you show the numbers in their raw form to show what it is.

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Where'd you get that in what he was saying?

Because it was very selective in taking offense compared to how MCU fans conduct themselves at times in these threads. Extremely competitive, unnecessarily.

He's simply pointing out the same thing that I just said... the same people are still trying to slag the movie despite its success.

He got all excited over the China numbers, and assumed out of the gate it was multiple people attacking the film. Especially since it was just ME and TWOPIECE, and he noted 'you guys' as if I attacked it.

Before the movie, it was: This is going to suck, it's not going to do well, I don't like Brie, etc.

There was a small group with that stance. Although her statements right before a film came out may have been better managed.

Now that it's proven them wrong in the first SEVEN DAYS, it's: I still don't like Brie, oh it's front loaded, it's going to be down 900%, etc.

Sounds like your concern is if anyone says anything other than 'impressive' they dislike the film. I wouldn't make that jump so quickly.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

LMFAO Alexander Luthor was not in Man of Steel.

oh damn, my bad- you are right.  MoS almost get's lost in the BvS match-up.  When I saw that in the theater there were literally 3 people in the audience. I wish Supes had snapped his next instead of Zod. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I don't think anyone is pointing the finger at YOU. You in general like almost everything comic related, and 'it's good, not great' isn't that far out of line with what an average comic fan might say about. And you show the numbers in their raw form to show what it is.

I love all these films when they meet what I see as my satisfactory bar. Thanks for seeing it for what it is. But in no way am I hoping Captain Marvel fails. The numbers will be what the numbers reflect.

Heck, the more of these films succeed, the more studios want to jump in the deep end with their own efforts. Sony delivering Into The Spider-Verse when it was giving up on handling Spider-Man is a huge success story fitting this bill. Right?

After 17 Marvel Cinematic Universe movies featuring a White Male Hero as the lead, we finally got a feature where the lead was something other than white (Black Panther) and after 20 movies, something other than male.

Prepare yourselves... Phase 2 is going to be looking a lot less like the Silver Age and a lot more like the Bronze Age...

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/shang-chi-director-destin-daniel-cretton-marvel-asian-superhero-1203162631/

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/15/white-hero-sidekick-of-color-why-marvel-needs-to-break-the-cycle

Interesting note from that article - Captain Marvel INCLUDED, MOST of the Marvel Cinematic movies have featured ethnic SECONDARY characters (Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Captain America, Spider-man, Ant-Man, etc). Looks like they may be getting ready to change that...

Edited by Chuck Gower

1 minute ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

oh damn, my bad- you are right.  MoS almost get's lost in the BvS match-up.  When I saw that in the theater there were literally 3 people in the audience. I wish Supes had snapped his next instead of Zod. 

Regardless, you do know that he's Alexander Luthor and not Lex, right?

In the Ultimate Cut, this is mentioned probably 4-5 times, to make sure the audience understood that he is not Lex Luthor.

Eisenberg and the film overall receive criticism that isn't even rightfully directed.

Zack Snyder built movies worth of characters to develop, including Kal-El origin to Superman (3 movie arc), Alexander to Lex (3 movie arc), Dark Knight Returns to Batman (2-3 movie arc), etc etc etc. And he gets fired for trying to do the "right" things. Develop characters into their comic book legacies, and apparently "fans" didn't have the patience for it.

I guess that a different discussion for a different place.

Just now, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Bosco- since you quoted the china numbers with the twitter comment, and no comment of your own I took it as you agreed with the comment you posted. That's all.  

See? Better we not assume a movie attack, as it is just information I post most times. But like you pointed out, this is not your common hangout point.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I love all these films when they meet what I see as my satisfactory bar. Thanks for seeing it for what it is. But in no way am I hoping Captain Marvel fails. The numbers will be what the numbers reflect.

I know that.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Heck, the more of these films succeed, the more studios want to jump in the deep end with their own efforts. Sony delivering Into The Spider-Verse when it was giving up on handling Spider-Man is a huge success story fitting this bill. Right?

That movie was amazing. As a long time fan of Animation from Japan, it's wild to now think of the coolest animated feature I've ever seen (at the time it was released) to be a tie between that and Akira.

That movie was amazing. As a long time fan of Animation from Japan, it's wild to now think of the coolest animated feature I've ever seen (at the time it was released) to be a tie between that and Akira.

Pre-ordered it as soon as Amazon made the announcement. I don't care later on prices drop substantially. I can't wait to see it again, and all the special features what went into this film.

:x

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Develop characters into their comic book legacies, and apparently "fans" didn't have the patience for it.

You have it reversed. The "fans" had the patience for it; it's the *general public* who didn't. Hence their (relative) box office failures.

Again, we fans are (at best) 3% of the audience for these films.If literally everyone in the U.S. who has read a single Superman comic in the last 20 years went to see Man of Steel, it would have made less than $50 million at the domestic box office.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

You have it reversed. The "fans" had the patience for it; it's the *general public* who didn't. Hence their (relative) box office failures.

Again, we fans are (at best) 3% of the audience for these films.If literally everyone in the U.S. who has read a single Superman comic in the last 20 years went to see Man of Steel, it would have made less than $50 million at the domestic box office.

You're probably right, but I tend to talk to more general audiences that enjoyed the MoS>JL trilogy than comic book fans. Probably just personal experience.

The majority of comic fans I discuss with will say things along the lines of, "Man of Steel too much fighting", "BvS not enough fighting", etc. Also some other things like, "that's not Superman" (duh?), "Batman doesn't kill" (what?), referencing source material.

The BvS theatrical cut was confusing for mostly everyone. I still don't understand mandating a hero team-up like JL to be less than 2 hours. It's no wonder that Cavill wants to be involved in producing the film. I wonder if he's asking for cues from Snyder, too.

Too bad the state of Worlds of DC made Affleck quit Batman. IMO he's the best we've seen on the big screen (animated universe not included).

I thought Affleck was a mediocre Batman.

Maybe he looked the part, but I thought there was nothing - except a bit more body mass than usual - that he brought to the role.

What made the difference in the overall portrayal was the writing.

Insert Christian Bale w/ the exact same -script, I think the net effect would have been the same.