• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this for real?

23 posts in this topic

Todd signed the lower left of the spawn #2 cover... And not on the art.. I would find it crazy he would sign his signature in a big fat felt marker over the original art..

There's zero chance that the ebay piece is the published final. But signing on a color comp? Ehh, I've seen worse.

If you blow up the ebay piece, the area next to the hand in the foreground has paint in yellow crescent shapes. On the final, its just a gradiated yellow.

In other words, on the ebay piece you can see that area was done with a manual brush and on the final with an airbrush.

The taped edges and paint bleed suggest its real paint. In all likelihood its exactly what the seller said it was: an unpublished (but preliminary, he left that part out!) image. The painter is just laying down some color to see if it works before starting the real thing.

They can be close to finish quality like this one or they can be real rough, but its the painter experimenting small scale before doing the final.

This is a preliminary color guide painting. If you compare Steacy's signature below Todd's in the scroll area it is completely different than in the published version. Plus I emailed Ken and he stated that this piece has no original McFarlane pencils. Ken painted over a copy of Todd's pencils for this piece.