• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on several books from 1968

27 posts in this topic

Greetings Boardies,

I am a regular over in Modern, and brand new to Bronze. I have yet to collect a Silver Age book!

I am curious if there is any stigma associated with some popular books from 1968.

For example:

Iron Man #1

Silver Surfer #1

Captain America #100

Incredible Hulk #102

I did some digging on this forum and found some discussions regarding 2-3 warehouse finds of cases of these in NM, as well as many investors at the time with stacks of NM copies that have yet to flood the market.

Do you as a collector have any apprehension purchasing or owning these books?

The books are all fine books and I`ve owned copies of all of them in my collecting life except for Iron Man #1.

But you are correct that there were warehouse finds and the supply of NM or better copies of these books is more or less inexhaustible. So definitely collect them if you`re interested in owning them, but don`t be feel like you need to jump on the first copy that comes to you.

In addition to which by that time modern fandom was well established and many people (including me) put multiple copies of those books away. I may have had as many as 10 IM 1's. Had them all graded in the early days of CGC and sold them on eBay.

Shoulda kept a couple.

In addition to which by that time modern fandom was well established and many people (including me) put multiple copies of those books away. I may have had as many as 10 IM 1's. Had them all graded in the early days of CGC and sold them on eBay.

Shoulda kept a couple.

I don't blame you. I was incredulous when 9.4 IM #1s were going for $300 on eBay in the early days of CGC. I would've slabbed and sold every IM I could at those prices, thinking I should get while the gettin's good.

I just can't understand how the supply of 9.4 and better copies could have grown exponentially since then, but the price has gone up just as exponentially, even with the movies.

They are all great books. Just don't expect them to increase in value much over the years. I've owned an IM 1 for a few years and the value has stayed the same. No increase at all.

I still enjoy owning it despite the value not increasing

I bought a Nick Fury 1 and Submariner 1 from Mark WIlson (Worlds Finest Comics) back in 2000 right before CGC started and before ebay was all that.

They were advertised as NM to Mint and they were all that and more. Eventually had them graded as a 9.8 and 9.6 respectively. When I did receive them I emailed Mark about them and how nice they were. This was a collection from a comic speculator from 1968 who bought all the "New Marvel Universe" #1's (and Cap 100, Hulk 102) and picked up about 20 copies each, maybe more of some of them. Wrapped them in either aluminum foil or saran wrap (or both) and squirreled them away until 2000 when he sold them to WFC. I believe this is where the 9.9's came from as well.

I don't believe these were pedigreed. I don't think they are the same as the warehouse books. I don't know if there were more than the Mile High II copies in terms of warehouse.

I think the most common book is the Ironman Submariner 1 and the least common may be the Surfer 1 or Hulk 102.

I'd have no apprehension owning these books. If folks are spending $50 on raw Red Sonja 1, She Hulk 1, or $500 on Star Wars 1 these books from 1968 are worth the price of admission.