• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, bababooey said:

As a moderately obsessed Spidey completionist, I ignored that kid show v2 Unlimited series for years and years......then when I saw the whole 5 issue run together in dollar boxes at a convention.... I grabbed 'em. :facepalm:

In the box was 2-5. The first issue was missing. I'd never seen any of these at all so I bought the last issue, which is something I buy.

1 hour ago, Michael Browning said:

Here are a few more I found this week that I've never seen before or that I've never found in the wild, until this week:

X-Men 2099 #35, a final issue which I had never found in any collection or store.

Spider-Man Unlimited #5 - I didn't know this series even existed and I've never seen any of the issues from it until yesterday.

Steel #52, the last issue that I've never been able to find.

Encyclopaedia Deadpoolica. I've seen a couple of these on the walls of comic dealers at conventions, but never in a longbox.

Justice League International #70 FOURTH printing. Super rare and the first I've found.

Masters of teh Universe Preview, reprinting the comic preview insert from the 1980s, which came in the Toys R Us two-pack of DC vs. the Masters of the Universe. I've only ever seen one other copy of this.

xmen2099spidermanunlimited5steel52.jpg

justiceleague70fourthprint.jpg

deadpoolica.jpg

mastersoftheuniversepreview.jpg

The MOTU Preview is awesome. 

Patrick

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

The MOTU Preview is awesome. 

Patrick

That is actually the Toys R Us reprint that was found in the two packs of DC vs. Masters of the Universe action figures. It is a reprint of the insert that ran in DC Comics right after the Masters of the Universe's first appearance in DC Comics Presents 47. They sell really high on eBay and a guy at a show had one recently and he was asking around $100 for it, which I told him was crazy. They don't sell THAT high, but some have sold for right around $50 at shows and online. The DCP 47 reprint, which was also found in the TRU two-packs, also sells pretty high and I have only ever seen one of those at a show and none at comic shops.

21 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I would have paid that and sold them off for years. That would be as close an example of
controlling supply and demand as you can get lol.

The only problem with that strategy is that you never know how many the seller has. Every time I see a listing on eBay for multiple copies I always question that first. If the book is popular enough and has enough demand and the price is right I buy them out right away. But if it's a niche market book I don't take any chances

15 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

That is actually the Toys R Us reprint that was found in the two packs of DC vs. Masters of the Universe action figures. It is a reprint of the insert that ran in DC Comics right after the Masters of the Universe's first appearance in DC Comics Presents 47. They sell really high on eBay and a guy at a show had one recently and he was asking around $100 for it, which I told him was crazy. They don't sell THAT high, but some have sold for right around $50 at shows and online. The DCP 47 reprint, which was also found in the TRU two-packs, also sells pretty high and I have only ever seen one of those at a show and none at comic shops.

Ah, this is a more recent figure release/reprint.  

Why are they so high?  Were the figures rare?  

Patrick

19 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, fastballspecial said:

I would have paid that and sold them off for years. That would be as close an example of
controlling supply and demand as you can get lol.

The only problem with that strategy is that you never know how many the seller has. Every time I see a listing on eBay for multiple copies I always question that first. If the book is popular enough and has enough demand and the price is right I buy them out right away. But if it's a niche market book I don't take any chances

Yeah there is that risk especially when you see that.

I am more then happy thought to take the chance on any X-Men or ASM book like that. A completionist is a completionest especially with ASM and X-Men.

Edited by fastballspecial

13 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Ah, this is a more recent figure release/reprint.  

Why are they so high?  Were the figures rare?  

Patrick

The figure two packs cost quite a bit these days. I'm not sure if that's because of their rarity (they were a Toys R Us exclusive) or because they pitted DCU characters against Masters of the Universe characters and older collectors thought they were cool and bought them all up. I know they didn't last long at the stores. Usually, as soon as they opened a case of them and put the packs out on the shelves, they were bought very quickly. I'm sure that most of these were never - and will never be - taken out of their packages and put up for sale, which adds to the scarcity of the preview comic reprints.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I have only seen pictures of the MOTU book never seen one for sale anywhere great find.

I've only ever seen this copy and another at a show. I've only ever seen one copy of the DC Comics Presents 47 reprint at a show and never in a shop.

Out of the last group I posted, the one that really baffles me is the Justice League 70 fourth print. I was buying ALL of these when they came out and never found one of these, nor did my shop ever tell me that it was released. Knowing the differences in the other prints, I spotted this one immediately in the dollar box.

19 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Out of the last group I posted, the one that really baffles me is the Justice League 70 fourth print. I was buying ALL of these when they came out and never found one of these, nor did my shop ever tell me that it was released. Knowing the differences in the other prints, I spotted this one immediately in the dollar box.

That's because it, and others like it (JLA #69 4th, MOS #20 2nd, MOS #18 4th & 5th, Superman #77 3rd, AOS #499 "3rd", etc.) weren't ever solicited or sold to comic shops. The only place they were available were in collectors packs; most usually the carded 2 or 3 packs that DC made during the mid 90s. You could also find them, perhaps, in the 20 pack bricks, or the boxed sets, but usually (exclusively?) they were only found in collectors packs.

2903147.jpg

42 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's because it, and others like it (JLA #69 4th, MOS #20 2nd, MOS #18 4th & 5th, Superman #77 3rd, AOS #499 "3rd", etc.) weren't ever solicited or sold to comic shops. The only place they were available were in collectors packs; most usually the carded 2 or 3 packs that DC made during the mid 90s. You could also find them, perhaps, in the 20 pack bricks, or the boxed sets, but usually (exclusively?) they were only found in collectors packs.

2903147.jpg

I find Superman 75 fourth prints all the time and had wondered why I never got one from my LCS, so that explains it. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I find Superman 75 fourth prints all the time and had wondered why I never got one from my LCS, so that explains it. Thank you!

Those were available at comic shops.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
4 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

yes, those all came out in rapid succession, and could be ordered by shops.

My picture was just to show what the collectors "thin packs" looked like.

31 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I didn't get a single copy of that fourth printing until just a few years ago when I saw it in a longbox at a show. It was a long time after that that I started seeing them pop up in dollar boxes in the Ashland, Ky., area, where a couple shops there have had probably 20-25 copies between them. Maybe my shop just didn't order any. It was cool to find it and a mystery as to why I didn't get those.

In my area, shops ordered so heavily on Superman 75 the first time around that when I ended up buying them out as they closed, there were numerous copies still stuck back in boxes that they had loaded with premium issues and books that were supposed to go on their walls. From one shop buyout, I got a bunch of nice copies that I've kept, including two of the Platinum Death of Superman trade paperbacks, a platinum Superman 75 and a platinum Adventures of Superman 500. There was also a Superman 75 signed by the writer and artists, but without a certificate. I think it was a gift to the shop from DC. I know there was also a Spawn #1 in that collection that was signed and sketched on by Todd McFarlane, thanking the store owner for buying so many copies. (Unfortunately, I let that one go many years ago for $50, not thinking it was worth much at all.)

9 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

The figure two packs cost quite a bit these days. I'm not sure if that's because of their rarity (they were a Toys R Us exclusive) or because they pitted DCU characters against Masters of the Universe characters and older collectors thought they were cool and bought them all up. I know they didn't last long at the stores. Usually, as soon as they opened a case of them and put the packs out on the shelves, they were bought very quickly. I'm sure that most of these were never - and will never be - taken out of their packages and put up for sale, which adds to the scarcity of the preview comic reprints.

Go to know, thanks for the info. 

Had the opportunity to buy these sets at low costs in the past and didn't.  DOH!

Patrick

So I found these in a couple long boxes I picked up at the flea market today 

they aren’t real true blue holograms like I’ve seen before (these are green when viewed top down) but they look to be changing or were changed from greens to blues 

I wonder if certain bags/water have a effect on the hologram over time 

B780EFAB-998C-45B1-B197-10567C0863D7.jpeg

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I wonder if certain bags/water have a effect on the hologram over time

I always thought that the blue holograms were effectively being "created" over time---heat, moisture, direct sunlight in some proportion was "turning" them.  Now that you mention certain storage bags and the off-gassing---perhaps another piece of the puzzle....