• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever question variants?

16 posts in this topic

So, a lot of the time variant covers are highly sought after for the cover itself, and the story usually takes a back seat, if it;s even considered at all. Examples include HQ #1 Adam Hughes variant (story is terrible), most J. Scott Campbell covers, and any Grimm Fairy Tales book.

Lately I've been looking at purchasing prints of variants since it's WAY cheaper and i'm getting the same thing. Superior Spider-Man #20 JSC variant goes for a lot more than i'm willing to pay, but the print is like, $30. I cant argue that.

Do you ever question buying variant covers and the value of the actual book/story vs. the cover itself?

Of course people question it - there has definitely been a lot of chatter just in modern concerning it. Many view variants as a scam or scourge on the industry, others, as you mention, just like the covers.

For me to personally go after a variant, I have to like the book and the cover - Ryan's Manifest Destiny variant or Staples Rat Queens is a good example. Great books, interesting covers.

I've never been a fan of JSC, but to each their own. He has so many covers floating around that it has created a little niche economy, and that's cool. It gives people collection options.

So, a lot of the time variant covers are highly sought after for the cover itself, and the story usually takes a back seat, if it;s even considered at all. Examples include HQ #1 Adam Hughes variant (story is terrible), most J. Scott Campbell covers, and any Grimm Fairy Tales book.

I do. I'm a story driven collector.

There's no doubt, though, that in the era of encapsulation, the cover image has become more and more important to the collecting community.

I get EC homage variants, like Wolverine #55, if it's done well enough

For everything else, I usually question myself a week after I bought it

Story of my life!!!

I don't question them at all. If I like it, I buy it. I'm not buying the variant to read the story, that's what the 1st print is for. Anyways, if someone likes the story, hates the cover art and still gets a book slabbed - WHY? You can't read the dam n thing after it's slabbed.

I remember when I wanted to buy the Amazing Spider-Man #688 Campbell lizard variant. It was going for around $50-60, and since I was just starting out with comic collecting, I thought it was way too much. Now look at the prices for that book now :sorry: .

I've been iffy on the DKIII variants. I bought 1 first print regular because I was excited for the story. After I read it...I didn't really connect with it. Didn't care to get 2 and the rest.

BUT I have been impressed with some of the variant art. I recently bought a couple that had been on my want list for awhile. I just like to display them.

Maybe I'll give it another read and appreciate it more.

I've been iffy on the DKIII variants. I bought 1 first print regular because I was excited for the story. After I read it...I didn't really connect with it. Didn't care to get 2 and the rest.

BUT I have been impressed with some of the variant art. I recently bought a couple that had been on my want list for awhile. I just like to display them.

The Dell'Otto variants for that series are great !!

But it has the store logo on it...........

The main reason I collect comics is for the art. The story is important but I have a soft spot for a well drawn cover with great colors. However,I have rules for buying variants:

1) I try to get them when they are priced at cover or less with my subscription discount. If my budget is tight I get what I consider is the most appealing cover that day and put the other one on hold.

2) I don't buy the ratio variants at inflated prices. I am patient enough to wait to buy them at steep discounts at local shop sales, small local shows , flea markets, fellow boardies,etc. I have bought 1:25,1:50 & 1:100 variants for $3 to $10. The time I try to buy is either before the hype begins or once the hype has faded. If I get priced out indefinitely then oh,well. Life goes on.

3) Me, personally, I would never pay $100 or more for any modern variant. I would rather purchase a slabbed high grade bronze or silver comic that is relevant or a semi-key issue.

I liked variants more when they were solicited infrequently. Now we're inundated with them week after week. Even though I refuse to let myself be driven by hype I have to admit if I like something I buy it but at the lowest possible price.

The Dell'Otto variants for that series are great !!

But it has the store logo on it...........

I almost bought that bulletproof variant! Great cover. Might pick it up later. I was referring to the Tyler Kirkham color and sketch variants. Mm hmm, beautiful covers. I also dig the Jim Lee 1:500 variant for #3. What would it be like to spend $1000 on a variant?! Haha. Seriously talented art though.