• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegaCon Tampa Bay October 28-30, 2016

79 posts in this topic

All I have to say is this is their last chance to prove themselves in this market. If this show doesn't run smoothly, the vendors and attendees treated with respect, kept well informed... this will be strike three... I doubt if very many of us will give them another chance.

History repeats itself. 20 years ago Tampa had two great 1 day shows and they (Doris and James) bickered and ran each other into the ground One of them moved to orlando and became MegaCon and Tampa ended up with no shows till a conversation at a auction of a bankrupt comic/card store sparked the idea for a hotel show again. I think tampa can have two big cons but hopefully they are spread out more in the calendar I'll be going to check it out regardless on Friday

To be honest I miss Tim's little homey 1 day show

No, I believe we're still booking. Look for that list around October 1

Does that include a published floorplan on the website?

Most likely after that, once everything has been allocated and ready for publication in the show program.

All I have to say is this is their last chance to prove themselves in this market. If this show doesn't run smoothly, the vendors and attendees treated with respect, kept well informed... this will be strike three... I doubt if very many of us will give them another chance.

If you or anyone else wants to message me privately your concerns and past problems I will address them directly with the exhibitor services team, I do that for many vendors since I know a lot of folks from my days working with CGC and as a store owner and vendor here in Canada at Fan Expo Canada. I want things to be as smooth for you guys as it should be.

I'm guessing were you not aware that this is the same weekend as NecronomiCon Tampa? It's a small, non-profit SF, fantasy, and horror show that's been going on for 35 years. It has a great history and has been a mainstay of the southeast SFF scene for many years. Sadly, I and many of the regulars are very much afraid having a large con like Megacon Tampa the same weekend may kill it. I hope that's not the case, but there is a lot of concern. I'm sure it wasn't even on you guy's radar, but it's unfortunate nonetheless.

I'm guessing were you not aware that this is the same weekend as NecronomiCon Tampa? It's a small, non-profit SF, fantasy, and horror show that's been going on for 35 years. It has a great history and has been a mainstay of the southeast SFF scene for many years. Sadly, I and many of the regulars are very much afraid having a large con like Megacon Tampa the same weekend may kill it. I hope that's not the case, but there is a lot of concern. I'm sure it wasn't even on you guy's radar, but it's unfortunate nonetheless.

From what I understand our show manager has been communicating with NecronomiCon Tampa to work on a way for us to promote that event is happening concurrently with MegaCon Tampa Bay.

There have been occasions here, on my home turf of Toronto, over the last decade when our March Toronto ComiCON show or my old show the other Toronto Comicon coincided with the dates for Toronto's longest running small, non-profit SF, fantasy and horror show AD ASTRA, which just celebrated it's 36th year this year. From experience I'd say that the two operated independently with some overlap and communication between teams from the two organizations and I'm happy to say that Ad Astra still continues and was minimally affected.

From what I understand our show manager has been communicating with NecronomiCon Tampa to work on a way for us to promote that event is happening concurrently with MegaCon Tampa Bay.

There have been occasions here, on my home turf of Toronto, over the last decade when our March Toronto ComiCON show or my old show the other Toronto Comicon coincided with the dates for Toronto's longest running small, non-profit SF, fantasy and horror show AD ASTRA, which just celebrated it's 36th year this year. From experience I'd say that the two operated independently with some overlap and communication between teams from the two organizations and I'm happy to say that Ad Astra still continues and was minimally affected.

Good, i really do hope that's the case. It sounds like it is very similar situation.

I agree. Everything is long submitted for comics, images, biographies. They don't update the site until after a PR email e-blast release.

Here's a teaser.... for comics guests.... Featured guests and special guests:

Rob Liefeld (announced)

M___ B____

G___ R____

L____ S____

G____ L____

P____ B____

B___ M____

M___ C ____

C____ D____

M____ H____

J____ D____

T___ T____

T____ B____

S____ C____

J____ D____ (another one)

E___ F____

M____ P____

R___ H____

A____ R____

and more...!

I agree. Everything is long submitted for comics, images, biographies. They don't update the site until after a PR email e-blast release.

Rob Liefeld (announced)

M___ B____

G___ R____

L____ S____

G____ L____

P____ B____

B___ M____

M___ C ____

C____ D____

M____ H____

J____ D____

T___ T____

T____ B____

S____ C____

E___ F____

M____ P____

R___ H____

A____ R____

and more...!

Errrr..... If guests are confirmed, shouldn't that info be made public to allow attendees or possible attendees to plan? Only reason to withhold that I can think of would be that the list is considered subpar for a legit con.

Rob Liefeld (announced)

M___ B____

G___ R____

L____ S____

G____ L____

P____ B____

B___ M____

M___ C ____

C____ D____

M____ H____

J____ D____

T___ T____

T____ B____

S____ C____

E___ F____

M____ P____

R___ H____

A____ R____

and more...!

Errrr..... If guests are confirmed, shouldn't that info be made public to allow attendees or possible attendees to plan? Only reason to withhold that I can think of would be that the list is considered subpar for a legit con.

Interesting question.

It's a conspiracy. There is a method, I think, to this, but it can be frustrating waiting... For you... For me... Anyone who follows our events can see this is not unusual.

Subpar? Guess you can judge that when they finally get announced. I think it's pretty awesome, I'm dying to share...

It may not be unusual (seen this plenty of time with the Dallas shows) but it doesn't further the goal of promoting the shows to the public who want to know whether they should plan to attend or not. All your teaser list does it tell us that someone knows who is coming to the show as a guest (and has known for at least 5 days since you posted the list that long ago), and that they are in no particular hurry to tell the people who might be interested in buying tickets.

It may not be unusual (seen this plenty of time with the Dallas shows) but it doesn't further the goal of promoting the shows to the public who want to know whether they should plan to attend or not. All your teaser list does it tell us that someone knows who is coming to the show as a guest (and has known for at least 5 days since you posted the list that long ago), and that they are in no particular hurry to tell the people who might be interested in buying tickets.

I completely get it. I do. I'd announce them the day they are booked, but I work for the show... I don't own it.