• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you are married and collect comics.......

116 posts in this topic

Oh, back to the comment "Was she making up for it in another way, perhaps?". She made sure the good nights were good is all I will say. I think about this now, with her, and I about want to throw up, but back then we were quite intimate, even to the morning when she was leaving, that's why I could not believe she was leaving for good. I was too close to see how nuts she really was. I just wonder what it will be like to be with a normal person, if I ever decide I want a relationship again.

My last relationship that lasted all of 2010 was similar to the way you describe your ex to be in that she was bipolar, things were turbulent, but the sex was fantastic, but I knew all along it would have to eventually end due to her mood swings, her lack of rational thinking during those periods, and my own unwillingness to let her manipulate me in the types of ways your ex tried to manipulate you.

Good to hear your life is much better now than back then. (thumbs u There are plenty of good fish in the sea, so don't let her sway you from trying another relationship. Just don't be afraid to leave a bad one next time.

I am glad I don't have to hide my comics, lol My wife actually bought me my Amazing Spider-man # 1 :cloud9:

My girlfriend came up with a very elegant solution. I'm allowed to spend whatever I want on comics/comic art. However every dollar I spend is another dollar towards her engagement ring....

lol. Similar to my situation.

Interesting thread. I happened to marry someone into comics before we met and with whom I have collected sporadically since. In mid-May we celebrated our anniversary and I took a picture of our marriage license and X-Men #1 side-by-side. We joked that our X-Men #1 WAS our marriage license, that we will not split because neither wants to be a without that comic.

For us it comes down to how we manage/discuss our money. We have joint accounts but also can save separately when we pick up extra work or have a little mad money going. Sometimes we use a rule of 10%; 10% of our individual pay can be mad money for a spell. As a general rule we discuss most all purchases $15 or less (even if it is only in passing). “Hey, I spent $17 on eBay, so you’ll see a Paypal charge.” For us, this has worked. Therefore, my big comic purchases are either windfalls or earned over time. Lately, I have been trying to use sales from the collection to help offset use of shared funds.

Sharing the hobby with the lady is probably more rewarding than frustrating for me. I asked the lady to write her thoughts once on what it is like to be married to a collector. Some of her frustrations include speculation, slabbing, my pickiness, as she wrote "there are times when money is tight and it’s frustrating to see it spent on a collectible which may or may not actually accrue value in the future." I know the collecting does siphon funds from the account from time-to-time, for instance shipping when I sell the odd book.

For me, it does mean a shared budget at cons and it is difficult to justify a much larger budget when I just want because I WANT. It means ‘having a conversation,’ which depending upon finances means acting together. It’s not always fun bending one’s behavior in favor of common goals or her goals, but for me it works.

It is weird to admit, but I suppose natural, that I have thought about scenarios ‘in the event of divorce.’ However if, for some reason, it did not work out…

Most were acquired while married, using joint funds, and in 50/50 states

I would hope it would be amicable, in which we could split assets up; there’s only a few books where she could hurt me personally

If it gets ugly, I have a standing agreement with a fellow bottle club member to sell books to him to hold until I can buy them back (of course merely typing that probably means I conspired to commit some fraud; and BTW the lady knows all about that plan)

Lately, I also think about what sort of comic legacy I want to leave just in case something untimely happens to me. For me, it is not fair to leave her with boxes of comics that I was not able to process in my time. I do educate her on certain books, and to her credit she does show interest and listen actively.

I let my wife buy whatever she wants, she's a lulu lemon addict and also fancies very expensive purses(Coach, Farragamo, McQueen etc) which believe me can get up to SA key money.

I don't get it and she doesn't get the comic thing but it works so far. If we ever split like someone else earlier said I'd have no problem giving half away.

But I joke with her, we are not staying together for the kids we're staying together for the comics.

Yes, I sneak packages in. My wife HATES the doorbell ringing everyday so I got a PO Box.

Other than that, she's OK with it. She even stood in line for me at MegaCon this weekend so I could get Stan Lee's signature. I had to run to the ATM, then run to buy a ticket, then run to get a witness... and I had my place in line when I came back. Its payback this week when we go to the Apple store (for Her). :banana:

My wife is amazing. I was hesitant about dropping several grand on an AF15... and she encouraged me to do it because I really wanted it. My wife rocks.

My wife supported me buying a AF 15 back in 2007. What a score. Now I seem to be spending more money on guitars these days. :banana:

lol

Great thread topic.

I've very lucky that my wife lets me do what I gotta do when it comes to comic collecting. Sometimes I feel for her.

I don't hide what I buy or what I fork over for comics. If I come home with a book that has a $50 sticker on it, I'll say I paid $50 but it's worth $100. Wouldn't you trade a $50 bill for a $100 bill? That line worked the first few times I used it on her. Yet it still seems logical to me.

lol

Great thread topic.

I've very lucky that my wife lets me do what I gotta do when it comes to comic collecting. Sometimes I feel for her.

I don't hide what I buy or what I fork over for comics. If I come home with a book that has a $50 sticker on it, I'll say I paid $50 but it's worth $100. Wouldn't you trade a $50 bill for a $100 bill? That line worked the first few times I used it on her. Yet it still seems logical to me.

I think you actually have to sell a decent amount for that to be believable to a non-collector. Otherwise you're just the person buying something useless because it was " on sale".

lol

Great thread topic.

I think you actually have to sell a decent amount for that to be believable to a non-collector. Otherwise you're just the person buying something useless because it was " on sale".

It's just a tongue-in-cheek argument I use with her to justify my spending. It's not a creed that I folllow.

lol

Great thread topic.

It's just a tongue-in-cheek argument I use with her to justify my spending. It's not a creed that I folllow.

I know. I do it too :)

lol

Great thread topic.

I know. I do it too :)

That hasn't worked for me. Ever. My wife just wants me to show her the money. I can't because I don't sell much.

lol

Great thread topic.

:baiting:

You can sell me a Cookie book I want.

lol

Great thread topic.

:baiting:

You can sell me a Cookie book I want.

:fear:

Sorry brothers, but aint no amount of V is worth losing your collectibles over. Yes, I was married and tragically ended in death, but knowing what I know now from reading the horror stories from divorced dudes, aint no way on Gods green earth will I ever, ever, never tie the knot again. The women they make nowadays damn sure aint the girls they made back in the day. Watch your 6 fellas (tsk)