• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

So a lot of times my idea of book that is cooling down is when I can find a lot of them in my local shops.

Like right now I cant find anymore GCS books anywhere locally. Its a hot book. What I can find which never used to be the case is every key issue and almost every issue of Walking Dead. Keys all the way back to issue 1 and the only keys I can find are 92, 108 and 127 currently all the rest are there and some with multiples.

I am not saying the books are dead just saying I have never seen so many of this book in my local shops every then I have the last 6 months.

This is a very good point!

There are a few good books that have no activity but are just not available.

I'm still trying to get a Ms. Marvel v.2 #1 Turner variant. There's only one a eBay and it's a set of all 3 covers.

And I've seen it a few other places for 100.00 and not willing to pay that price.

For some reason the sketch variant is much easier to find even though it has a smaller print run.

I think Spiderwoman #1 Manara would be another one...just no reasonable raw copies available.

...and then the obvious ones like Danger girl #2 ruby red (or even the regular smoking gun for that matter)

There seems to be books that there would be much more demand for if they were available raw and for a "sane" price.

Edited by Juice Head

So a lot of times my idea of book that is cooling down is when I can find a lot of them in my local shops.

Like right now I cant find anymore GCS books anywhere locally. Its a hot book. What I can find which never used to be the case is every key issue and almost every issue of Walking Dead. Keys all the way back to issue 1 and the only keys I can find are 92, 108 and 127 currently all the rest are there and some with multiples.

I am not saying the books are dead just saying I have never seen so many of this book in my local shops every then I have the last 6 months.

I'm still trying to get a Ms. Marvel v.2 #1 Turner variant. There's only one a eBay and it's a set of all 3 covers.

And I've seen it a few other places for 100.00 and not willing to pay that price.

For some reason the sketch variant is much easier to find even though it has a smaller print run.

I searched on ebay when you first brought it up and i was questioning you. There was 3 or 4 sketch, and about 20 color at that time... could be just a case of dont talk about it on here. it was and is always more common than the sketch. They were also cheap, which is probably why the herd has bought them all up off ebay.

Edited by CBT

Any ratio variant from back then will quickly become unavailable if people care and start buying them. If you want a frame of reference, Ghost Rider had the same style color and sketch variants, the same year (i got the variants, color and sketch of both it and ms marvel, at the time). Silvestri i think for those.

Anyway, more sketches are for sale, sitting unsold, than color. Not because the color is "harder to find", but the opposite.

Books that no one cares about, the cheaper ones sell more often, and the rarer ones sit unsold at too high a price. Once a bunch of demand occurs, the rarer ones will sell out and hardly ever come up again.

Its just that they WERENT worth buying for so long, that has kept the rarer sketch variants available on ebay.

I often try to talk about dispersal rarity on here. The difference between existential rarity (how many exist), and dispersal rarity (how spread out the books are, and how many are in the hands of potential sellers), is lost on 99.9% of the people buying variants.

Many people confuse dispersal rarity for existential rarity.

If they cant find one to buy, they assume hardly any must exist. There are several comics I love and hunt for all the time, that are extremely hard to find (but no one cares). When demand spikes for a book, many more books come available as people who dont normally sell suddenly become sellers. Once they sell to the new high demand wave, those people paying high prices, are even less likely to sell as they are now committed big time to their purchases.

This is the pattern for a lot of the "rare" moderns that arent actually as rare as some think (existentially). Very very hard to find for sale, but not low in numbers existing.

If and when one of these type of books suffers a price decline, an inverse happens. Many can suddenly become available as people who didnt pay the high prices, dont want to miss out on their chance to turn a big profit.

Edited by CBT

I searched on ebay when you first brought it up and i was questioning you. There was 3 or 4 sketch, and about 20 color at that time... could be just a case of dont talk about it on here. it was and is always more common than the sketch. They were also cheap, which is probably why the herd has bought them all up off ebay.

Wow! So that's how it works LMFAOOO

I think I understand the reason certain people are so "hard nose" when it comes to mention of certain books.

I really only SHOT MYSELF IN THE FOOT... I want the damn book but wasn't sure if it's a worthwhile buy.

Well I been searching high and low for a 25.00 or so copy (because that's what it's worth to me) and I've no regrets...

During my shopping I have picked up a Gotg #1 Manara for a good price.

I enjoy the art so much I went back to the same shop today to pick up there Uncanny X-men 12 Manara (paid a premium though).

I never payed much attention to his Marvel Variants but now that I have....WOW! JUST WOW!!!

I know the Pyslocke variant is doing very well seeing as how it was on the wall for 225.00 (I'm certainly not willing to pay over 100.00 for a modern variant) but Im in love with his depiction of Emma Frost.

Love buying comics...ones that are hot!

Especially ones that are cooling!!!

Edited by Juice Head

I'm here to get good ideas, opinions, and ask questions. While giving some input and views as a longtime fan and hobbyist.

I think it's fitting of this thead while on the subject of Milo Manara variants...

Since some are cooling, some staying steady, some still hot and sought-after(with very limited availability).

Is it a smart buy to grab these on a "down swing"?

Will these continue to grow in the future?

Anybody have any info on sales or print numbers??

When I look them up on Ebay as "sold" I do not see enough sales or availability on some of the covers to make any kind of determination that makes any sense.

I can honestly say...most you guys are way smarter than me in this area.

Edited by Juice Head

How did you even find that? It doesn't list the issue numbers in the title.

Random searches I've saved.

Badly described / titled auction, bad pics, could all be trash copies = people missed the auction and terrible results

How did you even find that? It doesn't list the issue numbers in the title.

Random searches I've saved.

Badly described / titled auction, bad pics, could all be trash copies = people missed the auction and terrible results

Same seller has a Punisher lot with the end low print issues and Punisher Kills one shot. Ending soon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-lot-of-ongoing-PUNISHER-series-MARVEL-/351950892083?hash=item51f1e86c33:g:cEQAAOSwImRYbvF5

That video reminds me of a scene that should have been in Clerks. I could see Dante and Randal being momentarily interrupted and then continuing a conversation. Notice the guy at the counter ? Almost no reaction Bwahahahahaha !!! :roflmao:

Edit: I just noticed that a moderator on that site mentioned Clerks before me. Ah well, great minds and such.... :)

Edited by The Authority