• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shop orders advice required

59 posts in this topic

Yes see I was just asking if the comics are acceptable in this condition but it's turned into this retailer thing.

I am not giving out any traceable information so no names or where I am located in the world etc.

You may think it's funny but if you live on your own and are not that confident etc. Being called a silly little man and having people raise their voices and laugh at you etc etc. it can be frightening.

Some of the times they can get really aggressive.

Again don't expect anyone to respond other than comically to that but it's what happens.

People are not asking you for the online stores name so they can call you out - we would want to see who you are buying from to research them.

He already said if he even hints at the name, the comic mafia will come and kill everybody.

Yes see I was just asking if the comics are acceptable in this condition but it's turned into this retailer thing.

I am not giving out any traceable information so no names or where I am located in the world etc.

You may think it's funny but if you live on your own and are not that confident etc. Being called a silly little man and having people raise their voices and laugh at you etc etc. it can be frightening.

Again don't expect anyone to respond other than comically to that but it's what happens.

hey Dave

threads here do get a life of their own - but there is a lot of good infor you you in the posts -

The problem is - the original "is this acceptable" question - will get you both yes and no answers without any additional information.

People are not asking you for the online stores name so they can call you out - we would want to see who you are buying from to research them. They may have a stated quality control - or none at all. They may be known "bad" sellers - or they might be stellar and some mistake was made when ordering.

In the end - the only information we have - is pictures of books you are unhappy with and not a lot more........

You have been given 2 great alternatives - regardless of any other information this should SOLVE your issue.

What are the two alternatives?

I am somewhere that it would not be easy to order from stores quoted and cannot go to the local comic book store.

hey Dave

threads here do get a life of their own - but there is a lot of good infor you you in the posts -

The problem is - the original "is this acceptable" question - will get you both yes and no answers without any additional information.

People are not asking you for the online stores name so they can call you out - we would want to see who you are buying from to research them. They may have a stated quality control - or none at all. They may be known "bad" sellers - or they might be stellar and some mistake was made when ordering.

In the end - the only information we have - is pictures of books you are unhappy with and not a lot more........

You have been given 2 great alternatives - regardless of any other information this should SOLVE your issue.

I am somewhere that it would not be easy to order from stores quoted and cannot go to the local comic book store.

Also it's just a question that i wondered if people accepted comics with huge color breaking creases on them and books which look well "used" rather than new.

So other than the photo's that is the question are great big bend marks dented corners big scratches on the back turned over covers acceptable.

Because all the retailers have said to me yes it is.

It's so difficult getting so many varied views.

I cannot get my local store to order because they do not believe in comics for collectors.

Comics are for reading only.

Any that I order they shove in already full boxes. They handle the comics by the spine and this is not me being OCD.

Seriously I pick the best comic off the shelf and because they know me they grab it by the spine and I have to say I have changed my mind. Now I just don't buy from there any more.

Okay, so your local store sucks. That's too bad.

So I order on-line and it's not just one shop that has sent these. They are from all different shops. The latest as mentioned told me to never shop with them again and put the phone down on me this is the average response now.

I understand some comics come with the odd rough edge some slight spine roll.

I am not looking for 9.8 - 10.00 all the time however the comics I have received i have asked to be graded and are 7.5 to 8.5 at best should you really be getting that low a grade when it is quite some cost when you buy say 10 at a time.

That's where a lot of this is coming from "oh he just want's perfection 9.8 never going to happen" No I just don't want a 7.5 comic when i have paid full amount for it.

As for the other comic shops when I have time to travel it's a different world every copy on the shelf is nothing like the ones I get on-line there is no need to cherry pick.

wildly_fanciful_statement. There is always the need to cherry pick. My LCS wouldn't put obviously damaged books in my pull box, but I would still check the shelves and often switch copies.

I think a lot of people just want to read the comic. However there are collectors out there so why can we not collect the comic too.

I have now had to purchase multiple copies at huge expense just to get a decent copy for my collection.

It is not fun any more I just wanted your opinions but I think I may just call it a day just buy digital comics. I don't want to I love to collect but I can't get any decent comics so it's just not worth it.

Also BTW i can mention some great experiences DCBS sent over a batch in full backs and mylites and all as you would want.

Then why are you not buying from DCBS?

I bought a comic from here and it arrived as described.

Because (at least most) people here go through the stacks and only buy the best copies and know how to grade.

So it does happen I won't go on and I don't go around shouting the names of the bad ones as they all are so rude and quite frankly i have been very scared by there responses so would never name names.

So I guess so far I don't think my post has been fully understood but I now realise buying on-line lowers quality considerably and that some think it acceptable but I am also happy to hear that some like me think it unacceptable.

I most likely wouldn't buy the copies you posted from a store and I wouldn't buy new books online.

That doesn't change the reality that retailers only get what is shipped to them, regardless of condition. They don't get to cherry pick from Diamond. They can only sell you what they have in stock.

People are not asking you for the online stores name so they can call you out - we would want to see who you are buying from to research them.

He already said if he even hints at the name, the comic mafia will come and kill everybody.

lol

hey Dave

Also it's just a question that i wondered if people accepted comics with huge color breaking creases on them and books which look well "used" rather than new.

So other than the photo's that is the question are great big bend marks dented corners big scratches on the back turned over covers acceptable.

Because all the retailers have said to me yes it is.

Midtown and TFAW

Accepting comics with huge flaws - all depends on the grade assigned.

Heck - there is a KILLER item for sale here now - would love to own - and it is only a single page torn from a full comic. A horrible "defect" - but most of the people on the boards would love to own.

To answer your original question, I would not want the books in the condition you posted pictures of. Most online retailers would send you a replacement copy. That is why multiple people were wondering where you are ordering from because it's odd that more than one online store treated you unfairly and fussed at you.

Did you call the stores? E-mail them? How did you state your complaint? If more than one retailer treated you the same way, maybe you could try a different approach next time there is a problem. Most legitimate sellers will address your concerns if handled in a friendly manner. I'm not placing blame on you. I'm just trying to find out more information to see why you would be treated this way by different companies over the same issue.

Then you're attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis.

I'm really curious if it's "multiple" retailers. I've ordered from Midtown and TFAW and NEVER received books in less than 9.4-9.6 condition. And if I had a problem (like when the mailman bent one shipment), I've never been treated harshly nor could I imagine being treated like that if I did have a problem. It's hard to help when you won't mention specifics. The people you've ordered from may have problems with other boardies who could steer you in the right direction.

They don't do that anymore. A lot of about 10 comics arrived with bent corners due to very poor packaging. Yep, the mailman forced them in the box. They had been packaged in an envelope with no cardboard protection! I couldn't believe it.

We emailed back and forth a few times, but they refused to budge. To bad so sad for me. Tough luck was their response.

NEVER order from Midtown. Once the comics leave their shop they couldn't care less about them or the customer. Fair warning!

Maybe OP should look for the common denominator in his crappy customer service experiences. That might shed a little light on the subject..... :idea:

That's kinda what I was thinking.

Oh my god... chest hurts I'm laughing so hard lol

Seriously I pick the best comic off the shelf and because they know me they grab it by the spine and I have to say I have changed my mind.

That comes across as more than a little paranoid.

Hi just mentioned although you would not believe it the retailers have been very very hostile towards me and have scared me so I am not naming retailers here.

See above comment.

Bottom line: if they say "don't buy from us again", you don't want to buy from them again anyway.

My advice? Don't buy from them again.

I'm wondering if I can significantly increase my overall ROI by accentuating my "milking eBay grading" differentials, with my "bilking recent widows" differentials? :shrug:

Inquiring minds want to know. :shy:

It's funny how often you can trace "difficult dealers" back to difficult customers...

OP I'd suggest my online dealer to you but I dont want to inflict you on them, they're too good and too nice...|They do lots of volume and seems to be pretty good at sending 9.4+ books 99.9% of the time (and takes care of you if you get an actual damaged comic to replace it or credit you if the book is not available to replace), but Im sure they aren't up to your standards)

I'd suggest going thru one of the people here on the boards who offers "9.8 pull" subscriptions, they order books and scour for the best copies around, you pay a lot more per issue, but if you want to always get a 9.8 (and it seems like thats very important to you) that'd be the way to do it.

I'm really curious if it's "multiple" retailers. I've ordered from Midtown and TFAW and NEVER received books in less than 9.4-9.6 condition. And if I had a problem (like when the mailman bent one shipment), I've never been treated harshly nor could I imagine being treated like that if I did have a problem. It's hard to help when you won't mention specifics. The people you've ordered from may have problems with other boardies who could steer you in the right direction.

They don't do that anymore. A lot of about 10 comics arrived with bent corners due to very poor packaging. Yep, the mailman forced them in the box. They had been packaged in an envelope with no cardboard protection! I couldn't believe it.

We emailed back and forth a few times, but they refused to budge. To bad so sad for me. Tough luck was their response.

NEVER order from Midtown. Once the comics leave their shop they couldn't care less about them or the customer. Fair warning!

I did the online chat, explained the situation, the guy sent me a return slip, and they sent me new books as soon as I returned the damaged ones. I just checked their site about returns, and it states:

"Due to the collectibility of the comics and merchandise we sell, we are unable to accept returns. In the case of damaged or mis-shipped orders, please contact us at info@midtowncomics.com."

This doesn't sound like a tough luck response, although I'm not saying companies are never bad with customer relations. Did you offer to return the damaged books?

I did the online chat, explained the situation, the guy sent me a return slip, and they sent me new books as soon as I returned the damaged ones. I just checked their site about returns, and it states:

"Due to the collectibility of the comics and merchandise we sell, we are unable to accept returns. In the case of damaged or mis-shipped orders, please contact us at info@midtowncomics.com."

This doesn't sound like a tough luck response, although I'm not saying companies are never bad with customer relations. Did you offer to return the damaged books?

I guess it's tough luck if you're an international customer :(

"Please note that Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope orders are by necessity shipped in an envelope, not a box, and therefore may arrive with damages we cannot be held accountable for."

OK, so in an envelope ... but the comics were just thrown in with no cardboard protection of any kind! No professional retailer that cares about their products and customers should even consider such a poor shipping standard. They didn't care, they didn't want to offer any compromise. Yes I offered to return and even offered to pay 1/2 for another shipment!

This is total hogwash ('by necessity shipped in envelope'). MileHighComics charges $7 to ship to Canada ... in a box with packaging. This company want s $53! It cost $24 just to ship in a damn envelope with no protection of any kind.

Business must be good to turn away new/repeat business. No respect for this retailer at all.

I guess it's tough luck if you're an international customer :(

"Please note that Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope orders are by necessity shipped in an envelope, not a box, and therefore may arrive with damages we cannot be held accountable for."

OK, so in an envelope ... but the comics were just thrown in with no cardboard protection of any kind! No professional retailer that cares about their products and customers should even consider such a poor shipping standard. They didn't care, they didn't want to offer any compromise. Yes I offered to return and even offered to pay 1/2 for another shipment!

This is total hogwash ('by necessity shipped in envelope'). MileHighComics charges $7 to ship to Canada ... in a box with packaging. This company want s $53! It cost $24 just to ship in a damn envelope with no protection of any kind.

Business must be good to turn away new/repeat business. No respect for this retailer at all.

Ahhh I didn't realize you were in Canada. That does suck that they wouldn't help in any way.