• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEROES CON 2017, June 16-18
1 1

163 posts in this topic

I stopped in for a few hours Sunday afternoon with my wife and son.  First,  went directly to the CGC booth with ten Silver Age books and dropped them off via Express.  Next,  walked thru the Guest area.  Spoke briefly with Ed Brisson.  My wife asked me if I wanted to stop and get a picture with Neal Adams then we saw the sign for $30 a pic and kept walking.  I passed his booth probably six times and no one was ever with him.  Then, I hit the Dealers Area.  I spoke with 7 or 8 guys and the overall feeling was the show was decent, sales-wise.   One said so-so at best, another had a very good show.  A couple dealers felt the Washington, DC con with Stan Lee as the headliner took a healthy chunk of potential cash out of Charlotte.  

Stopped by and said hello to Dave of Dave's Comics, Dennis of Rebel Base, Mario of Mario's Comics, Dale Roberts, G.A.tor, Harley Yee and few more I'm forgetting...

I headed back to the Guest area and had a 10 minute conversation with Jim Steranko.  I never had an opportunity to meet him before.  What a wonderful and gracious person!  Afterwards, we ended up over with my buddy, Lee Weeks and spent at least a half hour there catching up.  Lee lived 5 minutes from my Pennsylvania store when I was in business back in the 90s and we'd speak regularly.  Great talent!

I'm only looking for a few books to finish my collection and have never found even one at this show but it's always fun to stop in and spend two or three hours once a year and chat with friends & ex-business acquaintances.

We wrapped up the day at Fuel Pizza over on South Blvd., then headed home.

NOTE:  Did anyone see Jim Shooter on Sunday?

Edited by comicstock

3 hours ago, comicstock said:

I stopped in for a few hours Sunday afternoon with my wife and son.  First,  went directly to the CGC booth with ten Silver Age books and dropped them off via Express.  Next,  walked thru the Guest area.  Spoke briefly with Ed Brisson.  My wife asked me if I wanted to stop and get a picture with Neal Adams then we saw the sign for $30 a pic and kept walking.  I passed his booth probably six times and no one was ever with him.  Then, I hit the Dealers Area.  I spoke with 7 or 8 guys and the overall feeling was the show was decent, sales-wise.   One said so-so at best, another had a very good show.  A couple dealers felt the Washington, DC con with Stan Lee as the headliner took a healthy chunk of potential cash out of Charlotte.  

Stopped by and said hello to Dave of Dave's Comics, Dennis of Rebel Base, Mario of Mario's Comics, Dale Roberts, G.A.tor, Harley Yee and few more I'm forgetting...

I headed back to the Guest area and had a 10 minute conversation with Jim Steranko.  I never had an opportunity to meet him before.  What a wonderful and gracious person!  Afterwards, we ended up over with my buddy, Lee Weeks and spent at least a half hour there catching up.  Lee lived 5 minutes from my Pennsylvania store when I was in business back in the 90s and we'd speak regularly.  Great talent!

I'm only looking for a few books to finish my collection and have never found even one at this show but it's always fun to stop in and spend two or three hours once a year and chat with friends & ex-business acquaintances.

We wrapped up the day at Fuel Pizza over on South Blvd., then headed home.

NOTE:  Did anyone see Jim Shooter on Sunday?

When i was at the cgc booth in line waiting on a witness i heard one ask if anybody was getting anything signed by Shooter to follow them but i did not actually see him. 

Had a great time at the show and thanks to Dale and a few others I'm down to only needing 16 more books to complete my X-Men 1-400 run.  I'm only needing 1, 5 and 6 to finish the 1 to 66 part of the run and the other 13 books all fall the 70 to 80 number range so while they were easy to find; the earlier books that I picked up; put me at my spending limit for the con. 

The grandson had a blast mostly on Saturday (he did get in trouble for not listening; which caused his zombie face paint to run at times); but he was able to pick up two toys to play with and enjoyed taking pictures with the costume characters.

Psy

Short Version.
Feel free to ask Questions. 

Fabian was charging for Deadpool-related books, but not for Batman related-books, score. 

IMAG6819.jpg

Curse Words guys had ALL the variants with them, but wanted $40 for Glitter-Cat

IMAG6822.jpg

Baby Teeth 'HeroesCon variant' was only available at the Heroes Booth, but the Aftershock book had another 10 variants to choose from: 

IMG_20170617_221913_015.jpg

Here's a pic of the 'Heroes Booth' & Brian Stelfreeze sketch'ing away

IMG_20170617_073702_626.jpg

Jusko on Top. Dodson on Bottom. Dodson had a healthy line ALL weekend (his 1st HeroesCon).

IMG_20170616_182247_671.jpg

Image & Skybound had a booth.

IMG_20170617_133833_800.jpg

... All in all ... an excellent show, Wish i took more pictures. If you've been going for 10+ years, you start to notice that the show floor has gotten larger (more booths/tables), and deals have gotten fewer (more competition). And top tier artists have been getting $1-5 per auto, so fewer people are bringing BIG stacks to get signed (which is fine). 

I'll be posting a few pickups on Twitter @sketchcards -- Whoot! 

A seriously GREAT SHOW!!!   Always nice being by Rick and his awesome display of wall and display books. Considering where my inventory is now after the "purge" back in April lol  I didn't expect a super show but I ended up doing about 2/3 of what I usually do at the show. Sold $1000 worth of early Lone Rangers on Saturday which helped (yeah -  I know I'm the only one that sells stuff like this anymore). I had Just picked up some nice original owner books and some of those sold well (Spidey 90, Strange Tales 116, etc.) Sold a nice Aquaman #35, My Greatest Adventure #80, plus a couple of huge stacks of Walking Dead. Sold a solid Little Dot #2 to Mark Haspel. I'm sure he'll do well with it.  Picked up some nice stuff from Rick and Earl Shaw. My forever neighbor Banks Robinson was selling an almost complete Atlas collection for a friend and he was swamped all weekend. Very nice seeing some of these books. I would have picked up some of the rarer ones myself but I already have nicer copies. Did buy a nice Timely Mighty Mouse #4 for myself. Thanks to John Bailey for picking up the check on some awesome Italian food Friday night at Mama Ricotta's Already looking forward to next year!

Here's my modest haul from Sunday. Doubled up on a few books over the course of the weekend, but they were ones I've had a hard time finding on eBay in nice shape, so I was really happy to come away with so many on my priority list. Great deals to be had in general, next year I have to bring more paper money.

IMG_2836 (1).jpg

Another Heroes in the books.

And another great show.  It seemed like dealers were ready to make money.  I saw great prices, and didnt really scoff at anything. 

As usual bought books from Rick, Dale and Harley.  My wife got a Star Wars #1 from Mario and about 75 Flash comics from the 60s/70s. 30 of which were from a dollar bin which was amazing.

Met with Tom Lyle again, who is probably the most friendly creator there.  Loves to talk and has great stories to tell.  He graciously signed 25 Batman & Robin books, a page of original art from Detective and he did a sketch cover ($100)  I tipped him $40 for his Heroes Initiative for signing all that.  I talked to him several times during the weekend.

Jim Shooter was great as well.  I handed him GI Joe 33, which I have been collecting sigs on.  His eyes got big and he said I love seeing this book.  I told him that Joe was the title that got me collecting comics.  He replied that that was their intention.  That a kid may not care who Daredevil is, but they know GI Joe and Star Wars.  I told him it worked, and he thanked me and shook my hand.  A touching moment.   Now that guy with 5 long boxes for Shooter....

Good to meet Garcia-Lopez, though he didnt talk much.  Joe Galeia was great, as well as others I got including Beatty and Hanna.

I saw dealers start packing up at 3 on Sunday.  That may be a new record lol

Here are the big books I got, and the sketch from Lyle.

IMAG4759.jpg

IMAG4732.jpg

And here's a cosplay pic, I was Robin.

IMAG4570.jpg

And now the wait begins again for next year!

4 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

Jim Shooter was great as well.  I handed him GI Joe 33, which I have been collecting sigs on.  His eyes got big and he said I love seeing this book.  I told him that Joe was the title that got me collecting comics.  He replied that that was their intention.  That a kid may not care who Daredevil is, but they know GI Joe and Star Wars.  I told him it worked, and he thanked me and shook my hand.  A touching moment.   Now that guy with 5 long boxes for Shooter....

That was Dale Poston from Florence, SC. He told me he got 1000 (!!) books signed by Shooter and that's why I hadn't seen him all weekend. I didn't even know how to respond. Why would you need/want that many? I was hoping some type of after hours deal with him, but maybe not. How did he (and Shooter) approach this? A certain number at a time? I can't even begin.....................

52 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

That was Dale Poston from Florence, SC. He told me he got 1000 (!!) books signed by Shooter and that's why I hadn't seen him all weekend. I didn't even know how to respond. Why would you need/want that many? I was hoping some type of after hours deal with him, but maybe not. How did he (and Shooter) approach this? A certain number at a time? I can't even begin.....................

Well I hope Shooter charged him $5 an issue like he did me. 

When I was in line he would sign a few of the big stack,  then take another who just had a few,  then back to the stack. 

Edited by StingerMcK

5 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I saw Shooter signing a large stack from one guy so it must have been him.  I was wondering WTF?  Of course no one else was in line because they probably said that it wasn't worth the time. rantrant

41 minutes ago, 1p36DSA said:

anyone submit books at heroes? CGC still hasn't logged 3/5 of orders from there. Sent message and haven't heard word yet.

I subbed two books for express processing at Heroescon on Saturday (6/17). I was notified yesterday that the books have shipped out from Sarasota.