• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15 & Brexit

124 posts in this topic

Wow, I thought this might be the one place I could come to avoid the hysteria around Brexit, but no. Seriously, global markets are massively over reacting. 2 days of loses does not imply that we are headed into a bear market, that is ridiculous. Markets will rebound when people realize that corporate profits DONT tank and the stocks are actually undervalued. I am not at all concerned about prices for AF15.

By the way, I am an economics PhD and I work in finance. Which in no way means that I can predict the future better than any other economist, but I do know what I am talking about.

Not to be snide but you do realize that your appeal to authority argument is a big part of the problem

Too many experts nowadays

Are you still at school (where all your teachers feed you all this garbage that you can make a difference stuff....are you in social sciences by any chance those teachers have never even been in the real world they never even left school) and your parents are paying for you to live that would make sens why you have so much time on your hands to waste with world events. Go to work 40 hours or more a week the little time you have for yourself you will just want to relax and forget about the world.

Wait till you add a kid or 2 to the mix then you will never again have the energy to fight the powers that be (even if you do not have any you will still be to tired to do that anyway but with kids you will be extra tired). And do not forget a wife that complains a lot she will want whatever energy you have left for her needs. Welcome to the real world. Go in front of a mirror and repeat this screw my needs a million times then maybe you will realize life is not about you and never will be.....that is part of being a adult!!

Edited by Hulk1962

Wow, I thought this might be the one place I could come to avoid the hysteria around Brexit, but no. Seriously, global markets are massively over reacting. 2 days of loses does not imply that we are headed into a bear market, that is ridiculous. Markets will rebound when people realize that corporate profits DONT tank and the stocks are actually undervalued. I am not at all concerned about prices for AF15.

By the way, I am an economics PhD and I work in finance. Which in no way means that I can predict the future better than any other economist, but I do know what I am talking about.

Not to be snide but you do realize that your appeal to authority argument is a big part of the problem

Just saying that I do know a thing or two. So what, I'm not allowed to chile in on your thread becuase I disagree with you? We will all be laughing about Brexit in 6 months. And the AF 15 prices will keep climbing.

Are you still at school and your parents are paying for you to live that would make sens why you have so much time on your hands to waste with world events. Go to work 40 hours or more a week the little time you have for yourself you will just want to relax and forget about the world.

Wait till you add a kid or 2 to the mix then you will never again have the energy to fight the powers that be (even if you do not have any you will still be to tired to do that anyway but with kids you will be extra tired). And do not forget a wife that complains a lot she will want whatever energy you have left for her needs. Welcome to the real world. Go in front of a mirror and repeat this screw my needs a million times then maybe you will realize life is not about you.

Geez, is this your life ?

I feel bad for you now

My wife is sweet

My kids are independent

And I am a successful businessman

Don't know why you felt the need to attack me personally ?

Just saying that I do know a thing or two. So what, I'm not allowed to chile in on your thread becuase I disagree with you? We will all be laughing about Brexit in 6 months. And the AF 15 prices will keep climbing.

Absolutely feel free to post your opinion

This isn't my thread

I just started it :)

I have no kids or wife never wanted either (always knew that about myself) I love my freedom and enjoy my hobbies. I love pets and they are enough for me.

That's cool

No problems here with that

Just gonna disagree with you on the other 50%. Specifically, the part about closing your eyes to the rest of the world. I don't think that's a viable strategy.

I do not close my eyes I have a master's in sociology I have that in my face all day long but when I get home I just want to relax. I have read hundreds of books in social sciences and history and came to the conclusion that I enjoy it in books but not so much in real life and that I can't change a thing so I just live my life. Acceptance does not mean having your head in the sand it is realizing what you can and can't change and been OK with that.

Edited by Hulk1962

I do not close my eyes I have a master's in sociology I have that in my face all day long but when I get home I just want to relax.

Who said you couldn't relax ?

I certainly didn't mean to stress you out

My opinions are an honest assessment of the comic hobby and the economics of things as they relate to Amazing Fantasy 15 being over priced

That's all

I do not close my eyes I have a master's in sociology I have that in my face all day long but when I get home I just want to relax.

My opinions are an honest assessment of the comic hobby and the economics of things as they relate to Amazing Fantasy 15 being over priced

That's all

You do not stress me at all I see the ugly side of the world every day with my career but when I get home I just want to enjoy the nicer things life has to offer like my comic books for one.

Edited by Hulk1962

That's all

Your arguments for AF 15 being over priced are almost entirely based upon the supply side, arguing that the book is not that rare. Truth is, the stock is fixed an has been since publication. Price is now and really always has been almost entirely demand driven. I believe demand will continue to increase.

Are you still at school and your parents are paying for you to live that would make sens why you have so much time on your hands to waste with world events. Go to work 40 hours or more a week the little time you have for yourself you will just want to relax and forget about the world.

Wait till you add a kid or 2 to the mix then you will never again have the energy to fight the powers that be (even if you do not have any you will still be to tired to do that anyway but with kids you will be extra tired). And do not forget a wife that complains a lot she will want whatever energy you have left for her needs. Welcome to the real world. Go in front of a mirror and repeat this screw my needs a million times then maybe you will realize life is not about you.

I feel bad for you now

My wife is sweet

My kids are independent

( :gossip: it's a pattern)

I feel bad for you now

My wife is sweet

My kids are independent

( :gossip: it's a pattern)

And this is your pattern!! Everyone has a pattern I am nothing special. But at least I know I have one.

Edited by Hulk1962

That's all

Your arguments for AF 15 being over priced are almost entirely based upon the supply side, arguing that the book is not that rare. Truth is, the stock is fixed an has been since publication. Price is now and really always has been almost entirely demand driven. I believe demand will continue to increase.

That is a valid argument and certainly is the nub of our disagreement

I think demand will fall. Not because the book isn't an important and cool book. I love Amazing Fantasy 15 and still have my copies.

I just believe that the economy is gonna seriously stall and I question whether due to its commonness, whether it will be a good store of value

I just think prices will come down

I certainly don't think they will be going up from here

And the idea of a permanent plateau is unlikely

That's all

I think demand will fall. Not because the book isn't an important and cool book. I love Amazing Fantasy 15 and still have my copies.

I just believe that the economy is gonna seriously stall and I question whether due to its commonness, whether it will be a good store of value

Yes, I do agree that our main difference is on supply side vs demand side. And honestly, I could see demand cool off some as comic book movies lose steam, etc. but I don't think it will be enough for the price to actually decrease.

And sorry if I got defensive, I just thought your first reply was dismissive. You seem a decent fellow. Water under the bridge.

That's all

Yes, I do agree that our main difference is on supply side vs demand side. And honestly, I could see demand cool off some as comic book movies lose steam, etc. but I don't think it will be enough for the price to actually decrease.

And sorry if I got defensive, I just thought your first reply was dismissive. You seem a decent fellow. Water under the bridge.

Water under the bridge :)

Everyone has their opinion, and I'm sure to some degree it's all valid. We can all speculate and make arguments, but at the end of the day, even the most intelligent people in the world can't predict this. I often talk to one of my best friend's who is an economist, finance professor, Harvard/MIT educated, and he looks me dead in the eye and often says he has no idea about the answers to these topics that people discuss.

Everyone has their opinion, and I'm sure to some degree it's all valid. We can all speculate and make arguments, but at the end of the day, even the most intelligent people in the world can't predict this. I often talk to one of my best friend's who is an economist, finance professor, Harvard/MIT educated, and he looks me dead in the eye and often says he has no idea about the answers to these topics that people discuss.

I absolutely agree that it is impossible to predict. That said, I can't help myself in trying to better understand what is "value" in this strange new world, with all this global money printing by these central banks. Even today, equity markets are up based on hopes of central bank commitment to print in coordination.

As regards Amazing Fantasy 15, I assess value based on my expectations of the final innings of this current stagflationary environment. As such, I strongly question whether AF 15 has much more growth in real terms (not nominal terms) when the global economy gets even more protectionist - which seems inevitable to me. Hence, the title of this thread.

Totally understand...and if the global economy goes down in flames, honestly, there will be bigger things to worry about than the value of collections. I'd assume between your retirement fund and anything else that has value and tied to the economy, those would all take a larger hit in absolute dollars that the value loss in comics.