• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think are some of the most undervalued comics out there?
3 3

194 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2018 at 4:57 PM, Robot Man said:

I bought and read every issue of the Simpsons from #1-100 and quit. Last new comic I bought. Are there any stand out issues in that run? 

I have no idea how to respond here, but I don’t want to be rude, so;

I think Rawhide Kid 17 is undervalued!

On 4/26/2018 at 6:27 AM, F For Fake said:

It amazes me that I can still dig super nice copies of this run out of the 50 cent bin, aside from the BRB issue. Maybe because it's been reprinted so many times in so many formats, I dunno. But yeah, it's an amazing run and still mostly available dirt cheap.

I have a super nice raw #337 and than readers of the etire run. It's on my list as I sit home recovering! 

11 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I think Rawhide Kid 17 is undervalued!

Not really so much if CGC 8.5 graded copies of Rawhide Kid 17 can fetch over $10K in today's market place:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/rawhide-kid-17-marvel-1960-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/121732-11612.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

I bought that book off the stands back in the day.  Kirby had some really wild stuff during his tenure at DC.  Although not a key or book to be considered undervalued, I liked his one-shot Manhunter in First Issue Special as well.

Although the keys in the 4th World saga are already pricey, but I think all the non-key issues of New Gods, Mr. Miracle, Forever People, and Jimmy O are all undervalued.  They should command more than what they do even for non-run collectors. 

On 8/18/2016 at 4:53 PM, valiantman said:

So, name a book that you DO NOT have that you WILL NOT be purchasing.

Here's my answer:

Action Comics #1

It's the most expensive comic, and it will ALWAYS be the most expensive comic.

So, all these other books might have room to grow, but they have a ceiling.

Action Comics #1 has no ceiling.

There will eventually be a $10,000,000 comic... and it will be Action #1.

What happens if a 9.6 or even 9.8 Tec 27 shows up?

It's a long shot but possible.

If so and no higher Action 1 by that time surly it would surpass the value of the current 9.0 Action 1 copy that sold for 3.2 million.

Then again there's always the mile high copy of action 1 out there that could  be in the 9.6-9.8 range.

Would be scary if that monster came out for sale :ohnoez:

13 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

For me, it would have to be the Barry Smith Conan's.  Outside Claremont's X-Men run and MIller's Daredevil run, I think those are the best that the bronze age has to offer.  Those first 24 issues just have a unique aura about them. 

+1

I would tend to agree with you here as these were absolutely beautifully crafted pieces of artwork masterfully done by BWS.  :cloud9:

As such, they were most likely also highly collected at the time and possibly one of the factors that prices have not gone up as much as others from that same time period.  Of course, the current marketplace is not really affected so much by the creative artwork or writings within the comics so much, as they are dominated by the hype associated to them from upcoming movies, TV projects, or what have you.  :frown:

Well, if you wanted to combine movie hype with both creative story telling and classic artwork, I am rather surprised that the Kree-Skull war issues done by Roy Thomas and Neal Adams in the pages of the Avengers back in the early 70's still haven't really taken off yet.  Especially in light of how pivotal this story line will be in the upcoming Captain Marvel movie according to Kevin Feige:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/07/23/captain-marvel-movie-kree-skrull-war/

Even more surprising at the relative lack of interest in this series as I remember how hot these books were way back in the 70's when collectors were chasing after creator related titles.  Pretty much the entire run from Avengers 93 through to BWS Avengers 100 were must have books at the time, with the classic 52-pager of Neal Adams Avengers 93 being the clear hottest BA book at the time.  :luhv:

Definitely not so much anymore and almost seemingly forgotten as it has fallen way behind many of the other keys and even semi-keys of the BA and CA in terms of interest and demand.  :frown:

Since Avengers Infinity War made Thanos a household big time mainstream character I could see this continuing to grow in value over the next decade. Thanos just moved up a level to the Joker and is now considered by mainstream a Alpha villian.

Image result for iron man 55

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

FF 2, 5, FF Annual 6, Strange Tales 111, X-Men 94, 95,  Avengers 89, Conan 23, 24, Marvel Super-Hereos #12, New Gods 1, Eternals 2, New Teen-Titans 1, 2, DC Comics Presents 26, Detective 474, Green Lantern 7, Marvel Premere 1, Warlock 15,  Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2 Avengers King-Size Annual 7, Surfer 44

Edited by Rip