• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Dawn at Socorro :cloud9:

I'll have to look for that one sometime soon.

Just watched a young Piper Laurie in "The Hustler" for the first time.

I only remember her  only being gruff from...

"Carrie"-  "They're all gonna laugh at you" x infinity

"Twin Peaks"-  "I don't understand a word you are saying, you have a thing in your mouth."

"The Faculty"-  "I always wanted to do that."

10 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I'll have to look for that one sometime soon.

Just watched a young Piper Laurie in "The Hustler" for the first time.

I only remember her  only being gruff from...

"Twin Peaks"-  "I don't understand a word you are saying, you have a thing in your mouth."

"The Faculty"-  "I always wanted to do that."

'Dawn at Socorro' is not a bad movie.  I'm a huge fan of Reynold Brown's movie artwork and recently bought the painting without actually having seen the 1954 movie it was promoting (now corrected).  I often buy movie poster paintings based purely on the images and afterwards check out the films they represent (if not seen before).  Currently, I'm at 54 movie artworks.  Link to my CAF galleries for those interested in such things:

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Edited by The Voord

10 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Wow! I just watched the first episode of Tom Baker's "Androids of Tara."  Seriously some light and breezy fun!

...and Mary Tamm's purple outfit and hat makes her look absolutely gorgeous.  Best Tom Baker companion outfit (if you disqualify Leela's lol .)

Gonna be a great three more episodes.  It's the first time I'm watching it in color.  Growing up I only had a 19' b/w Zenith.

Tom baker was always a joy to watch . . . as was Mary Tamm (and, heck, she doesn't even need to have a speaking part!) . . .

Mary looked and sounded sophisticated . . . unlike this present Time-person, imho.

Edited by The Voord

17 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Such a great film. The scene when Carrie comes home and Piper is behind the door with the knife. Brilliant 

Image result for carrie gif piper

19 hours ago, The Voord said:

Yeah, it's Reynold Brown's original 1954 movie poster painting (physical art, not the printed poster).  I collect OA.

BehFzzGs_1710181207421gpadd.jpg

That's lovely 

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Such a great film. The scene when Carrie comes home and Piper is behind the door with the knife. Brilliant 

Image result for carrie gif piper

Just watched the remake.  A rather pointless one.

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Aren't they all Ken...?

If they don't follow the original closely and instead do something radically different, there's the occasional classic, such as John Carpenter's version of The Thing.

But, it's rare.

Edited by Ken Aldred

It's interesting that the current series of Doctor Who is so tedious that we've digressed away into talking about actual classic science-fiction; The Thing, The Outer Limits.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

If they don't follow the original closely and instead do something radically different, there's the occasional classic, such as John Carpenter's version of The Thing.

But, it's rare.

Indeed, you're right about The Thing.

If I told you that three of my favourite films are Get Carter, Carrie and The Wicker Man though, you'd appreciate my view more fully I expect. Another favourite is The Thomas Crown Affair. Now I didn't actually mind the Brosnan effort but it was virtually a completely different film. And it had a happy ending. Thomas Crown should never have a happy ending.

The film that is, not the man.

hm

Don't go near the double meaning's in that one Ken (tsk)

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

It's interesting that the current series of Doctor Who is so tedious that we've digressed away into talking about actual classic science-fiction; The Thing, The Outer Limits.

We need the Jodie Doctor to put things right Ken. After all, "She see's summat needs fixin, she doos what she cahn"

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Not forgetting the Gerry Anderson stuff.  They had better actors than this current Doc Who fiasco . . .

Just now, The Voord said:

Not forgetting the Gerry Anderson stuff.  They had better actors than this current Doc Who fiasco . . .

I wooden disagree with that. 

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

Ever seen the motion-capture CGI series of Captain Scarlet?

Surprisingly good, and quite dark.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Ever seen the motion-capture CGI series of Captain Scarlet?

Surprisingly good, and quite dark.

Dun-dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-dun! 

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

As someone who just watched Tom Baker's "The Seeds of Doom," there's a lot of "The Thing" in that one.  Pretty impressive that it came out four years, before the '82 remake too!

"The Brain of Morbius" = Frankenstein, etc.

The series pays homage to a lot of sci-fi sources, when it's well written, it can even be better.

See "The Androids of Tara" = The Prisoner of Zenda.

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

Aren't they all Ken...?

It was better than the Angela Bettis TV movie. 

Which is surprising considering how brilliant she was in "May."

Ultimately, the 2013 was rather forgettable despite being directed by Kimberly Pierce.

Indeed, you're right about The Thing.

If I told you that three of my favourite films are Get Carter, Carrie and The Wicker Man though, you'd appreciate my view more fully I expect. Another favourite is The Thomas Crown Affair. Now I didn't actually mind the Brosnan effort but it was virtually a completely different film. And it had a happy ending. Thomas Crown should never have a happy ending.

The film that is, not the man.

hm

Don't go near the double meaning's in that one Ken (tsk)

Watched The Wicker Man for the first time this summer.

Very interesting.

But, my writing is a bit strange anyway. :) 

Gertrude.jpg.923b6b4583f33ff10c3e74b3622328ba.jpg

1165208887_Gertrude5.jpg.a1ead6301a644379a67830dc52b27043.jpg

This one created quite the explosion of interest because folks weren't used to a writer without restraint.  People were offering to buy the first story to catch up. LOL

I have quite the collection of these now.

786511105_Gertrude2.jpg.a9ae6ed7f4de056a9062aea6776e2f48.jpg

481796356_Gertrude3.jpg.3f363df54310a77bbb7e1709481b1131.jpg

If you like Stephen King.  Here's the story of my classmate who was found murdered 27 years ago.  It remains unsolved and why I got into writing.

It opens like King and goes right into Twin Peaks.

I have 5 more planned.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-goffstown-news/best-little-girl-in-the-world/10156536125675505/

16 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

But, it's rare.

The original artwork painting for the UK quad of THE THING (1982) by Les Edwards and Jim Burns recently sold in auction for GBP 8,610 (plus juice).  It measured 42" x 43".

Artwork and printed poster:

thing.jpg

british_quad_thing_JC05325_L.jpg

17 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

It was better than the Angela Bettis TV movie. 

Which is surprising considering how brilliant she was in "May."

Ultimately, the 2013 was rather forgettable despite being directed by Kimberly Pierce.

Creepy Carrie, Creepy Carrie!