• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Total Newb and NEED HELP! Obediah Olbuck

72 posts in this topic

Just to be clear.

I'm the guy who found it in the attic and I'm in the UK.

The 'seller' or other guy in Omaha or wherever is nothing to do with me..

Some interesting info in this thread, fascinating actually looking in from the outside..

Thanks for all your help and sharing of knowledge.

One Love.

Zz.

Certainly no impugnment intended, Steve.

I think it's important to define what we are discussing. In the case of the term "comic book", I have long opted for the widest, most inclusive definition:

Comic Book = a publication that contains comics, defined as a sequence of pictures and possibly other symbols, including words, to tell a story.

Almost 25 years ago :o:preach: my article "What is a Comic Book?" appeared in Overstreet's Advanced Collector. It suggested this broad definition of "comic book" by showing many examples of how creators over the decades have used a variety of comic book formats to share their visions.

To use your analogy, a conestoga wagon is not an automobile, but they are both vehicles. They share a purpose - to transport you somewhere.

The black and white sequential art of Obadiah Oldbuck is not the same format as the four color American commercial comic book. But they share the same purpose - they transport you into a story through a series of pictures and words.

Pay no mind to the chatter about whether it is a comic book or not.

Of course it is.

It's unfortunate that a series of personality conflicts here on the boards clouded the historic nature of the comic. It is undoubtedly one of the most important milestones in the development of graphic storytelling.

You are entitled to your opinion Scott, but please don't impugn mine by insinuating that a personality conflict (which does indeed exist, though it's better described as an ethical conflict) is behind my reasoning for not recognizing OO as a comic book. It's not.

Calling OO a "comic book" would be like calling a conestoga wagon an "automobile" because it has four wheels, a driver's seat, and horse power.

That's a reasonable explanation Scott, and I would certainly stipulate to your expertise (I have that issue of Overstreet's Advanced Collector somewhere).

However, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Waiting to hear back from Heritage but meeting a dealer guy next week so will see what he says..

Will report back and post, to round up the thread for anyone interested now or in the future.

Whether you're pro or anti Obadiah's place in history I've found this stuff really interesting and also entertaining..

So much passion in the debate, I went and read the old thread.. Not all 200 pages but enough to really admire the dedication and depth of some of you guys love of comics.

Thanks to those who made a passer through welcome..

Tbc

One Love.

Zz.

Waiting to hear back from Heritage but meeting a dealer guy next week so will see what he says..

Will report back and post, to round up the thread for anyone interested now or in the future.

Whether you're pro or anti Obadiah's place in history I've found this stuff really interesting and also entertaining..

So much passion in the debate, I went and read the old thread.. Not all 200 pages but enough to really admire the dedication and depth of some of you guys love of comics.

Thanks to those who made a passer through welcome..

Tbc

One Love.

Zz.

Do they still have Antiques Roadshow there in the UK? Seems like a fine example to possibly get on TV. You have an interesting story and an interesting item. The big question is where you can ham it up or show happy befuddlement.