• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed.

95 posts in this topic

:idea:

To the OP, if you want a 9.6 or 9.8 and are willing to have it pressed, etc. why not, I don't know...Just BUY a CGC 9.8 in the first place and take the "guesswork" out?

Maybe he wants it for resale? (shrug)

I guess so...Picking up raw copies off eBay to resell, maybe I'm doing it wrong but that seems a little "risky".

So then my second question is, what if seller politely responds to said buyer and says something like "I think it may have 9.8 potential" and then misses the mark and comes back a 9.6?

it depends on the buyer. can only speak for myself but i've asked sellers their opinion bc i saw something on the scan that looked off. i always get an answer but with the "no guantree" thing, i just tell em i understand but i buy raw and grade and i know there is always risk involved with that..........i've never returned a book bc it came back lower, only if it's damaged by shipping

on shipping i've had a comic shop do a mess job of packing and the book was damaged, i had to explain why their packing was a problem (bc they didn't understand what the problem was). i've also had to explain how to ship a book to a seller, they were greatfull and shipped so the book didn't get damaged. they even admitted they didn't think about the packing of comics to not cause damage. comics wasn't something they norm sold so it was a reasonable excuse and my book came as described so it was all good

I got this message this weekend on a 2 book lot that I described as NM & NM+. I answered politely but was irritated by the question.

20tjyhj.jpg

I've gotten this message before.

Really its how you ask that counts.

If you don't ask the question right it comes off as a alarm to the seller. Put yourself in their situation. Its basically telling the seller your screwed buddy if this doesn't grade out how I want. Now I get that is not your intention, but be very plain when you email sellers. More then once I have told a buyer I don't want to do business with them at all based off how they email me. Its my reputation at stake not theirs.

I get this email from time to time and I try to tell them all the same thing. I don't ever grade above 9.6 ever. If you buy a 9.6 from me and you get a 9.8 great. But I prefer that then the guy that gets the 9.6 instead when I gave it a 9.8. The arrogance to think you can call out a 9.8 everytime without taking a large amount of time to do it is hilarious. Even professionals in our hobby don't get them all right.

Sometime a buyer will see something I missed or looks odd and I appreciate those emails. I can just pull the copy out and review and get back with them. Really you need to test the sellers you buy small if everything looks okay then you increase your next order and so on.

You could also try the WTB thread here.

I prefer NWO/spidermanontilt from the boards telling me how he pulled a 9.8 X-Men #121 from my inventory at a show versus me grading 9.8's.

Nothing more I love then hearing this story over and over and over.

This is exactly how I feel about these kinds of messages. It's an alarm/red flag that there will be a problem down the road.

My wife and I decided about a year ago that we will not grade raw books above an 8.5 just to avoid the "Is it a 9.8?" question. It's too much of a hassle to deal with unrealistic expectations that some people have for raw, high grade books.

Now if we have something that we feel is even a 9.0 or higher, we will word our item descriptions to say something to the affect that the book is 8.5 (or, perhaps, better). We phrase it this way so that the buyer is happy to receive the 8.5 and if it grades better than 8.5 the buyer is even happier. We might be leaving money on the table, but we generally do this for minor keys and it is worth it to avoid the extra time, labour, and headache of dealing with buyers who have unrealistic expectations.

We rarely receive the "is it a 9.8?" question and we are better for it. When we do, our answer is that, as stated in the description, we feel that it is an 8.5 or better. Besides, if we had a significant book that we felt could get a 9.8 we would send it away ourselves.

I got this message this weekend on a 2 book lot that I described as NM & NM+. I answered politely but was irritated by the question.

20tjyhj.jpg

I've gotten this message before.

I have too, and my listing was for a FN graded book. Told him politely that it wasnt the book for him and that he probably shouldn't bid.

20tjyhj.jpg

eBay questions are very easy to ignore.

I prefer NWO/spidermanontilt from the boards telling me how he pulled a 9.8 X-Men #121 from my inventory at a show versus me grading 9.8's.

Nothing more I love then hearing this story over and over and over.

lol I will ask you to tell it to me again & again this week.

Is this the other side of the coin where buyers dictate to sellers how they should pack and ship their book step by step?

When you buy enough books that someone sandwiches between 2 thin pieces of cardboard, shoves into an envelop, and writes "do not bend" on it you tend to send a message asking that the book be packaged so it arrives in the shape the photo shows and the description states in the listing.

Sellers that don't pack adequately aren't all of a sudden going to do it just because you tell them to.

I don't tell them to do anything. I just advise them that some of the packages I have gotten have been damage and that I have had to send them back as they were as described nor shown in the listing. I have found that advising sellers that I return damaged items generally causes them to package them so they don't get damaged in shipping. In reading your response, I guess, you have not had that experience.

Negative feedback generally gets their attention after the fact. Funny how that works.

I agree with you. If I win a book from a seller who is selling a bunch of non-comic junk plus a few comics, I'll mention the importance of packing. Typically the book will be a mid-grade, but scarce book.

There are still a lot of sellers out there who don't specialize in comics who don't realize that condition matters. They assume you just want a copy to read -- even if the auction closed at a couple of hundred bucks or more -- and so assume that you won't be concerned if the book gets banged around some in transit.

I once had someone asking me if a raw book that I was advertising as F/VF had a chance of getting a 9.8 if pressed...

Response should be, "I am not a professional presser so look at the photos and decide for yourself."