• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2018 at 12:00 AM, szavisca said:

It was more luck of the draw with what was available or sent to his region when Church got his copy.

Not everything he had came fresh from the drugstore, especially some later books such as St John romance.

Conversely, no matter how fresh and vivid the Church Planet run, going by these scans, only a relatively small number have saturated colors, and then its mostly on issues that are by and large 'color fast'. All I can say, is, thank goodness for small mercies. Or in this case, extremely large ones.

10 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Not everything he had came fresh from the drugstore, especially some later books such as St John romance.

Conversely, no matter how fresh and vivid the Church Planet run, going by these scans, only a relatively small number have saturated colors, and then its mostly on issues that are by and large 'color fast'. All I can say, is, thank goodness for small mercies. Or in this case, extremely large ones.

This statement may be blasphemous, but I am in awe of the condition of the group as a whole and at the same time underwhelmed by the coloring on many issues. 

56 minutes ago, kelholt said:

This statement may be blasphemous, but I am in awe of the condition of the group as a whole and at the same time underwhelmed by the coloring on many issues. 

Underwhelmingly awesome just about sums it up for me too. #13 and #14 hit the mark, but they are far too rich for my blood.

On 10/6/2018 at 4:15 AM, Spyder! said:

So, was George Lucas a Planet fan?

(from issue 3)

71D24C8E-B3B6-457D-9F44-3132F4FF73B3.jpeg

I’m amazed at the amount of similar content and details I see in movies and television shows which obviously were inspired by comic stories. Comics have had huge influence on our other forms of entertainment. This cannot be understated. 

59 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

I’m amazed at the amount of similar content and details I see in movies and television shows which obviously were inspired by comic stories. Comics have had huge influence on our other forms of entertainment. This cannot be understated. 

I did actually notice that someone mentioned George Lucas earlier, and I had a feeling of Deja Vu. I couldn't remember where I' seen it, then I remembered I brought this up in this very thread about 2 years ago. I'll dig it out and post below.

On 7/30/2016 at 7:59 PM, Grantley Goddard said:

As someone who actually reads comic books, I love discovering new stuff. While some of the stories may themselves be a bit lame by todays standards, there is certainly much food for thought reading between the lines.

With this in mind here is a serious question for those that read Planet Comics.

Did George Lucas ever read these books? If so, did he take any inspiration from them? If so does this mean that Graham Ingels deserves some credit also?

Lucas was born in 1944, so a bit young to have read Planet at the time, but that doesn't mean he didn't read them at a later date. I base my theory on 'The Lost World' strip which was written by Thornecliffe Herrick, which I believe is a pseudonym for Graham Ingels, unless I'm totally wrong on this....

The baddies in this ongoing monthly story were a race of creatures called the 'Voltans'.

Look at these panels and note their speech patterns, remind you of anyone in the Star Wars franchise?

000_0003_zps8qvkjlq1.jpg

000_0002_zpskntv2sud.jpg

000_0001_zps2enevof5.jpg

6 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I guess it came back a little lower than CC expected since they said 9.0 earlier? (shrug)

Either way, assuming the colors are really that bright, especially the reds, just wow! 

148C1A21-6A91-418B-84AF-920B40C1D8F8.jpeg

One can only imagine what that will go for lol

1 hour ago, comicjack said:
9 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

So what’s everybody’s guess on the #15 Church, 30k+.  Is that possible?

Yes,Yes and Yes :banana:

I will be very underwhelmed if the 15 only hits 30K …… I'm thinking much higher than that ….. probably none nicer in the world for a book that IS actually scarce. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

14 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I guess it came back a little lower than CC expected since they said 9.0 earlier? (shrug)

Either way, assuming the colors are really that bright, especially the reds, just wow! 

148C1A21-6A91-418B-84AF-920B40C1D8F8.jpeg

I think the scan is juiced towards the red side of things. Look at the CGC logo on the slab it is not blue. The yellow is again "lacking" to me. I suspect the reds are very nice on the book but not that level.

Check out my "crappy" 1.5 yellow. First scan is on my HP 7400 C and still in the slab, second scan is deslabbed and done on my large scale surface Mircotek.

I think the Microtek scan is far more accurate, but even then the yellow is brighter than the Church copy...and I think that is impossible :)

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

Cover%20Split_zpsotrxtlbf.jpg

Edited by Artboy99