• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Your post kind of inferred it was PC 15, which is why I checked it out. :foryou:

sorry 'bout the confusion... but in the end I am still trying to understand why "that" issue is so rare? I feel like there must be a reason. I am hoping a discussion will reveal something.

46 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

sorry 'bout the confusion... but in the end I am still trying to understand why "that" issue is so rare? I feel like there must be a reason. I am hoping a discussion will reveal something.

Believe me, someone on these forums will know.

3 hours ago, SuperGrover said:

OK, here is one I got last week. Lifetime member of the "overpaid" club, but I am happy with it. Really happy actually, it's a book I didn't really think I would actually get. (like Planet 15).

Planet 14 wow.JPG

It’s a fantastic copy! Very bright colors and Off-White pages.  Hard to find a copy of this book period and most are not as nice as a 4.0. And it’s one of my favorite covers. Congrats!

5 hours ago, SuperGrover said:

OK, here is one I got last week. Lifetime member of the "overpaid" club, but I am happy with it. Really happy actually, it's a book I didn't really think I would actually get. (like Planet 15).

Planet 14 wow.JPG

Really sweet colors on that copy! Well done. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

This book arrived yesterday. Thanks to these boards, I was finally able to land a copy of #1! :banana: Completing the run seems so possible now.

17C05560-80F3-4B9D-8402-AB7EB69490A2.jpeg

I was happy to sell it to you! 😀

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

This book arrived yesterday. Thanks to these boards, I was finally able to land a copy of #1! :banana: Completing the run seems so possible now.

17C05560-80F3-4B9D-8402-AB7EB69490A2.jpeg

Congrats Spyder!!  What a book!  :headbang:

I'm still hoping someone on here has another one laying around...  

2 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

Holy smoke!  I was just checking out the Planet #1 on the Comic Connect auction, up to 57K already!!!

Punishment/thrill bidding?  There's bound to be some of that maybe?

On 10/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, Dr. Love said:

"His heirs, for reasons I was never able to clearly understand, had an extreme antipathy toward anything paper that Mr. Church had accumulated during his lifetime. One theory I have about their dislike of his files is that the cost of all the comics and magazines that Mr. Church purchased during the 1920-1955 period put a severe drain on the family finances. Mr. Church collected every super-hero and adventure/horror comic printed, quite a few non-super-hero comics, vast numbers of pulp magazines, and even a large quantity of magazines with line-art covers. The cost of all those purchases, plus the fact that his files ended up filling darn near the entire basement, must have been quite an annoyance to the rest of his family."

"During the period from about 1925-1953 he was on the staff of Mountain Bell, the phone company for the Rocky Mountain region. He worked in the advertising department, designing and drawing ads for the first commercial directories (later to be know as Yellow Pages)."

Anyone care to tally up his purchases as a percentage of his potential disposable family income?  Edgar could probably be the poster boy for anyone who has had a problem with a wife who disapproved of their collecting "hobby".  Who do you think that padlock was meant to keep out - thieves?  his kids, so they wouldn't get their disgusting dirty little hands on his preciouses?  or his wife, so she wouldbn't destroy them in a hate filled rage?  nice guy eh?

My guess is that he justified to himself that he was buying all these books because someday he might use them as models for his commercial artwork. My attempt at 5-cent psychiatry.  It really was an odd thing to do:  Buy every comic each month and pile them up in the basement unread. Certainly seems like obsessive behavior.  But thank goodness he did it!

Iirc, Chuck mentions that he did find piles of cutup magazines (but not comics) that Edgar was apparently using as swipe files for his commercial work.

Probably most people know this, but Heritage has been selling (and reselling) the OA for his commercial work over the past few years.  They usually don't go for too much if anyone is looking to pick up one.  They show up now and then in the Sunday night auctions. I've probably got five or six that I've bought from them and a couple of larger pieces that I bought elsewhere.   

On 10/31/2018 at 4:31 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Well done Zolne! In time honored tradition, a great achievement. You are now kindly requested to start a thread to proudly display your set.:foryou:

On 10/31/2018 at 7:23 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Yes. This will come soon!!

:baiting:

26 minutes ago, comicjack said:

All the Mile High Planets are humming along to new heights :smile:

I expected it to be honest. Grats to all the new owners as I already know I am bowing out of this chase. I can't afford a second mortgage. :P