• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

Now we are getting into Zolnerowich’s truly epic stretch of covers!  What is the better group of 3? Issues 13-15 or 17-19? They are all so good it’s nearly impossible to choose.  
Picked this one up raw on the boards. I think it was my 3rd or 4th rivet. I didn’t appreciate at the time how hard it is to find.

20BFDBAF-72FE-420B-9595-EBFE2ED31AB2.jpeg

Spyder they say it is your birthday today hope it is a good one :banana:

Edited by comicjack

7 minutes ago, kelholt said:

Planet 13 is definitely one of my favorites. On my set registry, this is part of what I wrote about Planet 13 :

Every comic has stories inside, and to collectors every special comic has a story about its acquisition. This book is a special one. Ever since I first saw #13 in the Gerber Journal, I knew that this was one cool book. What I did not know is that this issue is one of the top 5 hardest Planet Comics to find (IMHO). I searched dealer inventories, eBay, major auctions, etc. for #13 for years without even a sniff. I always looked wherever I could. One afternoon I was finishing up a deal on a few book over the phone when I asked the question that I had asked at least 100 times before…”You wouldn’t happen to have a Planet 13 lying around would you?” I just about fell over when the response was, “Well, actually I do and it’s a really nice one too.” After a scan was sent to me I made a phone call back and the book was purchased and on its way to me that afternoon. I read this one and submitted it to CGC. One bonus aspect about this book is its super bright and colorful back cover. Many comics have back covers that are basically blah, but not this one. 

657B5956-ABB1-4669-801E-0ADB136CC4F2.jpeg.633239867fb5efbeb486fc1bc6a63871.jpeg

19870E8F-5300-4C50-AB21-EEA9225EB8AB.jpeg.494bbf6adfe226a8dc3d61f938b38b8b.jpeg

Nice and bright i still remember Showcase New England screwing up a purchase of this book.:cry:

15 minutes ago, kelholt said:

Planet 13 is definitely one of my favorites. On my set registry, this is part of what I wrote about Planet 13 :

Every comic has stories inside, and to collectors every special comic has a story about its acquisition. This book is a special one. Ever since I first saw #13 in the Gerber Journal, I knew that this was one cool book. What I did not know is that this issue is one of the top 5 hardest Planet Comics to find (IMHO). I searched dealer inventories, eBay, major auctions, etc. for #13 for years without even a sniff. I always looked wherever I could. One afternoon I was finishing up a deal on a few book over the phone when I asked the question that I had asked at least 100 times before…”You wouldn’t happen to have a Planet 13 lying around would you?” I just about fell over when the response was, “Well, actually I do and it’s a really nice one too.” After a scan was sent to me I made a phone call back and the book was purchased and on its way to me that afternoon. I read this one and submitted it to CGC. One bonus aspect about this book is its super bright and colorful back cover. Many comics have back covers that are basically blah, but not this one. 

fabulous copy and thanks for sharing the story.

3 hours ago, kelholt said:

Great story!!! Patience rewards the virtuous collector! Or something like that.

BTW I also love the small picture of Fight 13 on the back cover. :)<3:)

I recall wandering into Comic Showcase, a shop in the West End of London back in the day - must've been around 1992. Paul, the proprietor, was deep in a conversation with 'an old geezer' who scarcely fit the fanboy profile. Paul later explained that the guy had been collecting Planets all his life, and Paul had just returned from San Diego with the last issue he needed to complete the run, now tucked away in the guy's briefcase as he limped, head down, out of the shop. Judging by his physical condition, you kinda thought this was a 'just in time' moment for him. He stuck in my mind, this guy, and this small incident sparked an interest in the idea of completing a run of this title before I'd ever collected any issues. Now I'm the old geezer. Though I've never held all 73 issues at the same time, there are only a handful I've never owned at least once. But I let go of my Planets up to #11 because I came to accept that I was not really interested in completing the title because, hand on heart, too many covers failed to spark my abiding interest.

That interest only really starts with #13, for obvious reasons. But I held onto the #12 I just posted simply because I've never seen another copy with saturated colors that really pop - and it is one of those covers where the colors really matter. Here are a few details to make the point. As I understand the printing process, its not red, but magenta that matters. And magenta is a notoriously fugitive color.

Planet Comics #12 CGC 6.5g.jpg

Planet Comics #12 CGC 6.5.jpg

Planet Comics #12 CGCv 6.5.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo