• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, shortboxed said:
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, Robot Man said:

complanetrun.jpg

What are the issue numbers for all the Matt Baker covers? I can't make them out in the photo. Thanks in advance! 

..... just to be clear..... these are not Baker covers, but issues with Baker stories inside..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

17 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

#26 languished in the doldrums until collectors only recently recognized its scarcity. I wonder which will be the next break out issue? Anyone have any thoughts?

Planet Comics #26 CGC 8.0.JPG

26 is scarce. I am not sure what determines a “breakout” issue but my first thought is for 28. You hardly ever see it for sale and when compared to 26 which is known to be scarce, not as many CGC copies:

Total CGC copies in census:

Planet 26 - 20 copies

Planet 28 - 18 copies

I know the CGC Census isn’t a complete indicator, but it is a factor.

B452AFDE-E89D-486B-9500-80C7EEB7B662.jpeg

On 1/20/2018 at 6:45 PM, kelholt said:

26 is scarce. I am not sure what determines a “breakout” issue but my first thought is for 28. You hardly ever see it for sale and when compared to 26 which is known to be scarce, not as many CGC copies:

Total CGC copies in census:

Planet 26 - 20 copies

Planet 28 - 18 copies

I know the CGC Census isn’t a complete indicator, but it is a factor.

B452AFDE-E89D-486B-9500-80C7EEB7B662.jpeg

Great copy, Kelly. I have always thought of Planet #28 as the quintessential Planet cover. It was the first comic I won from Heritage when the Cage collection was first auctioned. I later sold it, like a crazy person, and regretted it for years - until the self same book turned up in a Comiclink auction. It's rare to get the chance to rectify such a mistake. Still one of my favorite books - and I think the census is a fair reflection of its scarcity.

Planet Comics #28 CGC 6.5.Nicolas Cage.jpg

6 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Planet 8 is listed as a Gerber 8...any truth to that scarcity index on this book?  25 universals, 30 total.

1206171945551.jpg

I think when Gerber did the journals he didn't see it back then, not so rare but what a cover !

14 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I think when Gerber did the journals he didn't see it back then, not so rare but what a cover !

I think along the same lines.  I think I have one more book listed as a Gerber 8, but I can't recall the book at the moment.  

There are some books he has listed as 4's that I've never seen for sale, much less commonly for sale.  I take those numbers with a grain of salt.

15 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I think along the same lines.  I think I have one more book listed as a Gerber 8, but I can't recall the book at the moment.  

There are some books he has listed as 4's that I've never seen for sale, much less commonly for sale.  I take those numbers with a grain of salt.

I also find that different issues are 'common' or 'scarce' at different times. A bunch of #8's were listed over a period of a couple of years a while back.  Of course, if a given issue turns up after long absence and starts a bidding war, it will bring out other copies. So to an extent it seems to go in cycles.

11 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I also find that different issues are 'common' or 'scarce' at different times. A bunch of #8's were listed over a period of a couple of years a while back.  Of course, if a given issue turns up after long absence and starts a bidding war, it will bring out other copies. So to an extent it seems to go in cycles.

Makes total sense.  A big hammer price wakes somebody up and makes them remember they have two copies, and let the bidding wars begin!

Planets definitely make appearances in cycles for a number of reasons, a high hammer price on a particular issue certainly can be a significant contributor to creating a short (6-12 months) of greater availability in my opinion.

Some issues just don’t seem to show up often at all even if a high hammer price occurs.

4 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Planet 8 is listed as a Gerber 8...any truth to that scarcity index on this book?  25 universals, 30 total.

1206171945551.jpg

Michelle Nolan's take when she reviewed the Gerber scarcity indexes a few years back:

Planet Comics #8 (8) — No reason this shouldn't be a 6 or 7. This was basically the only successful science fiction title of the early 1940s, and they sold pretty well.

A great book however you look at it. 

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My favorite cover in the run and a book that seems to have been really heating up lately (or maybe not so lately).

It was one of the first of my current run to fall into my clutches. I think page quality kept the bidding down, luckily for me!

Planet Comics #71 CGC 8.0.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo