'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
20 20

3,772 posts in this topic

61 posts
On 4/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have much respect for Kelly’s viewpoint with a lot more longevity than mine. My perspective will Be from the last 5 years. I would say though, not too many people have bought (and sold) more Planets than I have in that period. Here are my unofficial findings, based solely on difficulty to acquire.

1-9- issue 8 is the toughest I believe followed by 2.

10-19- I believe 10 and 15 to be the toughest but 17 is pretty tough too. I’ve had many 13s. Love it.  

20-29- 20 definitely and 29 in grade can be difficult

30-39- I agree that 30 is the toughest. I’ve not had trouble with 38. 

40-49- 40 in grade is easily the toughest. I’ve not found any of the others to be that HTF

50-59- I would say none are extremely HTF but 52 and 54 can be harder in grade

60-73- I don’t think any of these are difficult in low grade but 65 and 66 are not offered much at 6.0 or higher.  72 was actually super easy for me to get for a while but lately been tougher. 

These are my opinions.  A lot coincide with Kelly’s thoughts. 

Thanks for also putting this together. I know I usually have a ton of questions for you on this, but this really helps 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,558 posts

Love the dragon fingers in that Gale Allen splash!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,303 posts

PLANET COMICS #41 interiors now uploaded to GRR

Issues 1-41 now complete.

 

0 (1).jpg

11.jpg

37.jpg

40.jpg

43.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087 posts
On 4/29/2019 at 11:07 PM, kelholt said:

This has been discussed before, but always fun to re-visit. As collectors, our opinions/perceptions of book difficulty are based on many factors .... amount of time collecting a run, amount of cons/comic shows attended, amount of $$ in pocket at particular times, relationships with dealers, time spent delving into the various auction houses offerings, and a little thing called luck.

I have collected Planets since 2006 and I mostly chase 8.0 or higher, but make note of any Planet I see in private hands or for sale / auction. To answer your question about which books are super tough, I broke the run down into 7 groups 1-9, 10-19, etc and have listed below the two most difficult books in that group of books that I have found in my time collected Planets. Now for clarification, this is most difficult not most expensive. Sometimes these two do not go hand in hand.

You may agree, you may disagree, but it should be fun “discussing” :foryou: if anyone wants to share any opinions.

1-9 Issues 6,8

10-19 Obviusly all are difficult and yes 13,14,and 15 are all equally tough so between the rest of the issues in this group it would be 10,19

20-29 Issues 20,24

30-39 Issues 30,38

40-49 Issues 40,47

50-59 Issues 51,54

60-73 Issues 61,72

 

 

On 4/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have much respect for Kelly’s viewpoint with a lot more longevity than mine. My perspective will Be from the last 5 years. I would say though, not too many people have bought (and sold) more Planets than I have in that period. Here are my unofficial findings, based solely on difficulty to acquire.

1-9- issue 8 is the toughest I believe followed by 2.

10-19- I believe 10 and 15 to be the toughest but 17 is pretty tough too. I’ve had many 13s. Love it.  

20-29- 20 definitely and 29 in grade can be difficult

30-39- I agree that 30 is the toughest. I’ve not had trouble with 38. 

40-49- 40 in grade is easily the toughest. I’ve not found any of the others to be that HTF

50-59- I would say none are extremely HTF but 52 and 54 can be harder in grade

60-73- I don’t think any of these are difficult in low grade but 65 and 66 are not offered much at 6.0 or higher.  72 was actually super easy for me to get for a while but lately been tougher. 

These are my opinions.  A lot coincide with Kelly’s thoughts. 

Just catching up on this thread. I mostly concur with Kelly and Rick.

Interesting, regarding the difficult books, it is amazing how (relatively) accessible most all of the Planet issues have become, no doubt due to increased collector interest in Planet Comics and the rising prices motivating owners to sell their copies. When I got into the Planet game 10-ish years ago, I was lucky to find 3-4 books a year, and rarely the rivets. It was only in the last few years when I was able to fill most of my collection. It's amazing how so many boardies have been able to build up their collections in such a short time.

So here's my own perspective, based on my 10 years of slow-poke collecting, and more recent trends:

1-9: issues 6, 8 (with 2 and 5 close behind)
10-19: issues 10, 15 (with 14 and 17 close behind)
20-29: issues 20, 24
30-39: issues 32, 34
40-49: issues 40, 45 (all generally not so HTF)
50-59: issues 51, 56 (all generally not so HTF)
60-73: issues 63, 65 (with 66 and 70 close behind)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,303 posts

So, money no object then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 posts
8 minutes ago, G G said:

So, money no object then?

Oh, it’s always an object! Ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
947 posts

I’d like to see what the boardies here think of as their top 10 favorite covers, but I’m guessing since there are 178 pages to this thread, it’s back there somewhere.  Well it’s a rainy Saturday. It’ll be more fun to go thru this string than all the other stuff I should be doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,558 posts
9 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’d like to see what the boardies here think of as their top 10 favorite covers, but I’m guessing since there are 178 pages to this thread, it’s back there somewhere.  Well it’s a rainy Saturday. It’ll be more fun to go thru this string than all the other stuff I should be doing.

I recently re-read the thread from the beginning. Well worth it!

But, since you asked...

My top ten: 14, 10, 17, 15, 13, 2, 33, 66, 71, 29.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,303 posts
14 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I recently re-read the thread from the beginning. Well worth it!

But, since you asked...

My top ten: 14, 10, 17, 15, 13, 2, 33, 66, 71, 29.

No love for the Daddy? :whatthe:

#65 :cloud9:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,742 posts

Hi Everyone!

It's been a while :)

What's everyone's prediction on the final hammer for the Planet #1 7.0 on Heritage right now?

Warmest Regards

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,558 posts
2 hours ago, G G said:

No love for the Daddy? :whatthe:

#65 :cloud9:

65 would definitely be in my next 10! :insane:

I know it is a favorite for many people, but I’m more of a Zolne man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,303 posts
3 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I know it is a favorite for many people, but I’m more of a Zolne man.

You're a closet welder

 

DSC_0050_1-1024x685.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,150 posts
8 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

Hi Everyone!

It's been a while :)

What's everyone's prediction on the final hammer for the Planet #1 7.0 on Heritage right now?

Warmest Regards

Jason

is that the Billy Wright?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,558 posts
13 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

is that the Billy Wright?

Yes it is. Nice looking book. 

Im guessing $18k for the final price 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,150 posts
1 minute ago, Spyder! said:

Yes it is. Nice looking book. 

Im guessing $18k for the final price 

thanks I remembered looking at it awhile ago but I cant check Heritage right now.

I agree I can see it hitting 18k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,150 posts
On 5/5/2019 at 7:32 AM, G G said:

PLANET COMICS #40 interiors now uploaded to GRR

 

0.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

28.jpg

thanks again for your efforts GG and I love that Gale Allen splash 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
20 20