• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jordysnordy's Savage Sword of Conan Collection
2 2

373 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Generally I am happy with off white to white pages - it is a subjective process. Look at these 2 Godzillas. It was originally off white - white and then I sent to get signed and it came back with white pages. For this reason, I usually don't pay a big premium for WP. I prefer better centering if I had to chose between the 2 but I generally will not buy a book that has less than off white pages. (unless it's a hard to find book or something I really need to have).

I'm sure many of the Romita books that you are looking for will be rare in 9.8 with WP - there aren't many around, especially when you consider most are 50+ years old.

Godzilla 24 CGC.jpg

godzilla 24.jpg

Another boardie freed two CGC 9.6 books from the holders and got back two 9.8 books. I guess it's all about statistics - with 9.8 WP you may generally get less damaged and less faded books compared to 9.6 OW-W. But there's no guarantee, especially when grading is subjective (even the OWL card may be difficult to use in some cases). I have one 9.2 book and a few 9.4 books, and I can't find any flaws - maybe I need better glasses hm Still I tend to sleep better at night with 9.8s, but like GhostTown I don't mind Spidey 9.6 books when 9.8s are much more expensive, carrying in mind that grading is subjective even for experienced CGC graders. 

I can see you care for great cover centering too - you've got an awesome Godzilla set!

37 minutes ago, Rune said:

Another boardie freed two CGC 9.6 books from the holders and got back two 9.8 books. I guess it's all about statistics - with 9.8 WP you may generally get less damaged and less faded books compared to 9.6 OW-W. But there's no guarantee, especially when grading is subjective (even the OWL card may be difficult to use in some cases). I have one 9.2 book and a few 9.4 books, and I can't find any flaws - maybe I need better glasses hm Still I tend to sleep better at night with 9.8s, but like GhostTown I don't mind Spidey 9.6 books when 9.8s are much more expensive, carrying in mind that grading is subjective even for experienced CGC graders. 

I can see you care for great cover centering too - you've got an awesome Godzilla set!

This is exactly right. The difference between 9.6 and 9.8 is not worth it in my opinion for very expensive books. My Godzillas are not big money so it was an easy decision to go for a 9.8 run. My ASM run is mostly 9.2s as the higher grades are just too expensive for me. lol I haven't seen on OWL card in years!! Grading and PQ can be very subjective and like you said, some flaws can't even be seen so its' hard to justify spending the extra money.