• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Signature Series: Tips Wanted

27 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on having multiple signatures on one book? I've always liked things simple: one book, one sig. But lately I've thought about snagging a book with two or more signatures. But I'm still not sold on the idea, especially if one signature is less sought after than the other.

I know, buy what you like. But this whole SS thing is opening news doors for me, and I'm curious what others think.

When I started I did a lot of books for just one artist (or writer for Stan). I considered them like single-signed baseballs. I tried to get examples of the work that I really liked in grades that I thought were reasonable (usually 8.0-9.4 for the Silver and Bronze books I was interested in).

I have also gotten many multi-signed books done as well, and for the hardcore SS crowd, I think it fair to say that more complete is more desirable. But it is not always a big deal. For example, I have ASM 123 single signed by John Romita. Gil Kane passed before SS existed, so he can't have ever been gotten. Gerry Conway wrote it and Dave Hunt worked on it. I don't think a Romita, Conway, Hunt would sell for much more than a Romita single SS.

But if you look at a Star Trek book for example, a book with the whole bridge crew will sell for tons more than just Shatner or just Koenig or whatever.

As with most things involving comics, it depends.

What do you guys think about the celeb sigs? Worth the time/money?

I certainly think so considering some are easier to get (any power ranger) than others (Mark Hammill).

Here's a few I got a few years ago and don't regret the money I spent even with all the footwork I did at that con years ago. (Sorry about pics. I have upgraded in the cellphone department since then).

1. JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 (FCBD Variant) signed by entire cast including Voiceover Casting Director Andrea Romano (except for Michael Rosenbaum since he was filming his TV show) --

WP_20160131_003.jpg

2. IRON FIST #14: This one is a mix of celebrity and creators. Signed by Tyler Mane (Sabretooth in 1st X-MEN flick), Randy Green and Chris Claremont. I eventually got cover artist Al Milgrom but I haven't taken a new picture since adding that particular sig. Only one missing is John Byrne but he despises the CGC game and retired from cons in 2004 (although he went to STAR TREK CON in Las Vegas to sign only Star Trek books) --

WP_20140124_006.jpg

3. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 700: This was a fun book to do but can be pricey to do it since people are charging for CGC sigs now. I like clean sigs on a clear background. Sigs signed anywhere without thought or care look like garage to me (but that's just me).

WP_20150202_019.jpg

4. CAPTAIN AMERICA #111: Signed by Jim Steranko and Joe Sinnott

CA.jpg

I've been thinking about signatures again, so I thought I'd resurrect this old thread...

It seems like it's becoming more difficult to find graded books that aren't signed. At least for Adam Hughes books. That's not exactly true, but sometimes you do a quick search on eBay and it looks like more than half the graded books are signed. I know "buy what you like" is a common refrain here, but taking that out of the equation for a moment...if signatures are so easy to come by these days, does that not bring down the perceived value of the signature? Sure, Hughes charges for his now, which is factored into the seller's price, but when there are more and more SS books by a creator, it seems to take the cool/special/unique factor out of the whole thing.

12 minutes ago, Reno McCoy said:

I've been thinking about signatures again, so I thought I'd resurrect this old thread...

It seems like it's becoming more difficult to find graded books that aren't signed. At least for Adam Hughes books. That's not exactly true, but sometimes you do a quick search on eBay and it looks like more than half the graded books are signed. I know "buy what you like" is a common refrain here, but taking that out of the equation for a moment...if signatures are so easy to come by these days, does that not bring down the perceived value of the signature? Sure, Hughes charges for his now, which is factored into the seller's price, but when there are more and more SS books by a creator, it seems to take the cool/special/unique factor out of the whole thing.

to some extent yes, but of course its relative.  Is he signing faster than his fan base is growing (or capping out)?  I think Hughes is still young and still putting out cool new covers, but has enough older PREVOIUSLY not-too sought after old comics out there available, so he can grow new fans and keep cashing in for a while.  And its not soooo many Hughes that its too daunting to collect, so some people once they have the first 10-20 CGC SS, they might decide to slowly build a whole set.  He's currently in a sweet spot, I think him and JSC Campbell both are (though I personally like Hughes stuff a lot more and think JSC is oversaturating the market). 

I tend to prefer blue labels generally, especially for higher-end key books. I know for some, getting a McFarlane sig on an ASM300 would be amazing - for me personally, I'd prefer it without (and my 9.6 will stay blue label).

I do have a few CGC SS, and these tend to be more modern low/medium-value books or interesting sentimental books. But that's primarily because my CGC SS is really for me and my personal collection, and not really planning to sell to make a profit. So I'll get certain mid-tier books signed by artists I like (ie. Uncanny X-Men 248 - first Jim Lee X-men book, SS by Jim Lee). 

I know there's a world out there for potentially making money on signed books, and everyone of course has their own tastes / preferences. But just my own perspective.