• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Rarities and some BA First Appearances

26 posts in this topic

War Comics #3 7.0 (Dell) - Highest Graded copy of a 1941 War book (1st series dedicated to War stories). WHITE pages makes this the nicest copy graded (I'm keeping the other 7.0 which is a file copy, but mine is cream to ow). You'd never guess, but there's a nice little sci-fi space alien story with robots inside (Greg Gilday with super-powers fights invading martians).

This one is even sealed with a kiss (see top back cover). Otherwise, I imagine it would have graded much higher.

$SOLD

War_Comics_3B_Front_zpsywc5ngtz.jpg

War_Comics_3B_Back_zpsn1f7illx.jpg

very cool!

Thanks! the lip stick made it a no brainer haha!

Love the War Comics, I have an issue. :)

Are the Jinxes still there in issue 8?

No Jinxes in issue 8. I want to say that stopped around 5 or 6. Which issue do you have? My favorite is #4, though #2 is a close second :cloud9:

I have #5, when it changes title, and it appears it ended with that issue.

I loved Dave Berg when I saw his work on Military Comics, if they were less expensive I would have bought more…

I just realized how fascinating and interesting the title is, as my research around the period comics deepened and involved proper historical reference of facts.

But I see they are hard to find… :(

Where is the Overstreet feature "The War Report" you mentioned? Is there an online version?

If you are passionate about comics on the war published during the war (also from other countries, and aside from Italy they are not common) we can keep in touch when I will try to organize all my research. :)

I have #5, when it changes title, and it appears it ended with that issue.

I loved Dave Berg when I saw his work on Military Comics, if they were less expensive I would have bought more…

I just realized how fascinating and interesting the title is, as my research around the period comics deepened and involved proper historical reference of facts.

But I see they are hard to find… :(

Where is the Overstreet feature "The War Report" you mentioned? Is there an online version?

If you are passionate about comics on the war published during the war (also from other countries, and aside from Italy they are not common) we can keep in touch when I will try to organize all my research. :)

I'm with you, I find the War Comics / War Stories run interesting because they do center around current events in the period and offer glimpses into the mood and background of the time. I've definitely got a fondness for GA War books simply because that was such a critical moment in world history, and WWI/WWII is something (hopefully) that will never be repeated in our lifetimes.

Not sure if there is an online version of "The War Report" which was in the Overstreet guide (though developed independently by some of the foremost experts in war comics ~ most of which are boardies here). It starts on page 207 of my Overstreet and goes to page 215 (I have the Russ Heath cover :cloud9: ). Much of the focus is DC SA war (and rightfully so), but there is a Top 15 of the Golden Age that is cool to reference. Definitely check it out if you get a chance. Sounds like your research would be something quite a few of the war genre folks would love to see and discuss.

Thanks much – is the feature from the last Overstreet? Which edition?

Getting into the period is already fascinating by itself, studying it a bit produces a million of possible ramifications: it’s emblematic, as you say, for our culture after the war. But there are things as much as dramatic today, they just do not present themselves in the form of an open war (well, except terrorism or civil wars, that is). :(

Super Magician v4 #5

I loved the cover on this one so much, I ended up purchasing two of this hard to find issue. A simply classic cover with colors that pop. Alas, the cover is detached from the single staple. There is a a small 1/8" tear top corner, a 1" tear bottom back cover, and a small 1/8" tear back cover lower left. Also has a store stamp used randomly throughout the book.

Probably a 4.5 if not for the detached cover. With it, I'd call it a 3.0/3.5

$70

Scan_20160805%205_zps8ti5gslp.png

Scan_20160805%206_zpsontjhuvs.png

:takeit:

Super Magician v4 #5

I loved the cover on this one so much, I ended up purchasing two of this hard to find issue. A simply classic cover with colors that pop. Alas, the cover is detached from the single staple. There is a a small 1/8" tear top corner, a 1" tear bottom back cover, and a small 1/8" tear back cover lower left. Also has a store stamp used randomly throughout the book.

Probably a 4.5 if not for the detached cover. With it, I'd call it a 3.0/3.5

$70

Scan_20160805%205_zps8ti5gslp.png

Scan_20160805%206_zpsontjhuvs.png

:takeit:

^^ Thanks so much! Even with its flaws, this is an amazing book to have and hold.