• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns soon forgotten...

207 posts in this topic

...and going back about a decade...

New Avengers Volume 1 - Okay, where do I start. How about, "why did it take so long to put all of Marvel's heaviest hitters on one team book ? ". Too long. This was a big, BIG deal in the history of the Marvel U. Not only did they make a team that featured Wolverine and Spider-man teaming with Captain America and Iron Man. It helped bring Jessica Drew and Luke Cage back into the mainstream while continuing the introduction of a fairly new character, the Sentry. How about an annual with the wedding of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones on the cover ? The stories by Bendis were above average and the Finch art was incredible. Don't sleep on this series. It foreshadowed what is now a considerable amount of both the Netflix and Marvel cinematic U...

...then some...

Ex Machina - BKV and Tony Harris created a beautiful book. Please note that I said and meant beautiful. If issue #1 was put on a shelf today, it would still stand head and shoulders above the rest in the attention getting department. The story is about a politician with power in more ways than one. Then again, maybe he is just the tool used to tell the bigger story as BKV sees it. It is very political so I'm not going to get into details about the subject matter other than to say that this is yet another book that references and is affected by 9/11. Sometimes sad, sometimes hopeful, never dull.

Before anyone ask why this one doesn't cost more, be thankful that it doesn't so that you have an opportunity to experience art on a very rare level....

Ex Machina really bugged a lot of people due to the political aspect.

I think it's one of the better stories out there. It's a book that I will never, ever sell.

The end of #1 riled me a little due to the proximity of the event. I thought he was trying to drum up a few dollars with something that felt taboo to me.

I was wrong, he didn't abuse it, and it was an important part of the story as it progressed.

Patrick

Ex Machina really bugged a lot of people due to the political aspect.

I think it's one of the better stories out there. It's a book that I will never, ever sell.

The end of #1 riled me a little due to the proximity of the event. I thought he was trying to drum up a few dollars with something that felt taboo to me.

I was wrong, he didn't abuse it, and it was an important part of the story as it progressed.

Patrick

Some of it bugged me but its a book that at the very least makes us think. I thought the same about issue #1.

Ninth Wave has to be go on the list.

One of my all-time favs.

#1 was a couple dollars for about a month.

I'd buy early issues for cheap if I found them.

The newer series is even better. But I haven't seen an issue for quite some months.

Patrick

Well, haven't seen an issue in a few months because it was over at #6.

I have a feeling this title will be optioned and successful on TV someday.

Due to the low interest even in the comic community, I can see it doing well.

Patrick

So why oh why aren't these books worth anything as back issues? hm

Because a great story doesn't equate to a desired book.

Which $#*($#*$# me off.

Patrick

We're in total agreement with this. :)

Well. That's. Just. Plain. Stoopid. :sumo:

So why oh why aren't these books worth anything as back issues? hm

Because a great story doesn't equate to a desired book.

Which $#*($#*$# me off.

Patrick

We're in total agreement with this. :)

Well. That's. Just. Plain. Stoopid. :sumo:

Buddy, you're preaching to the choir. lol

...next up...

Rising Stars - JMS was on fire when this series came out. The idea that people gain power from an event that they all experience was cool but what really set this book off was how they gained more power. I won't spoil this as it still stands the test of time and is worth reading. The ideas that JMS designed to handle stuff like an invulnerable man were near genius in their simplicity. I still pull these out and read them semi-regularly. If you haven't read this, I'd put it near the top of your stack.

JMS also had another book out at the same time called Midnight Nation. Gary Frank handled the art and the story was above average. What really stood out that I can't get out of my head were the facial tattoos. A cross between Darth Maul and Mike Tyson. I can't remember which came first...

...and now...

30 Days of Night - This is the book that helped me discover Niles and Templesmith. The story is off the charts scary and the art has a super splatter creepy look. Perfect for this mini series. The movie doesn't compare to the book but it did have some tense moments....

...and heeeeerrrreeesss....

Crossgen lol

Sojourn, Ruse, Sigil, Mystic, and especially Negation War #1.

Always fun to see somebody try something new. With creators like Mark Waid, Ron Marz, Greg Land, and Butch Guice, its hard to understand why this company didn't last. Ruse was a Sherlock Holmes type book with art that couldn't be beat...unless you check out Sojourn. Greg Land drew some of the prettiest pictures you'll ever see. Negation War #1 kind of points out the limits of a Superman like character. It was almost disturbing to read in the same way that Miracleman #14-15 were when they first came out.....

Ex Machina is still my favorite BKV work - can't go wrong with Tony Harris on your side. He's undervalued.

Harris was equally important for Starman, another series that should be worth a whole lot more than it is.

Ex Machina is still my favorite BKV work - can't go wrong with Tony Harris on your side. He's undervalued.

Harris was equally important for Starman, another series that should be worth a whole lot more than it is.

He and that series are both underrated. My brother used to have about a 50 book a month pull list. Starman and Reserection Man were always top of the stack for him.

...and a big time winner was...

Daredevil the Man Without Fear- Let me drop a few names. Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada ? Not impressed yet ? Well, I'd like to add Bendis and Maleev. What ? You want more ? Fine. How about we throw a couple of cherries on top with Brubaker and Michael Lark. No one will ever measure up to Frank Miller imo but these guys were 99% of the way there in reinvigorating a dead title. It is difficult to throw out enough superlatives in describing this era of DD but certainly one of the best complete series of this size ever...

...and here we go...

Alias- How prolific of writer was Bendis in the last 20 years ? The titles I'm running across should give you a clue. This was one of his best and for a guy like me who enjoys new stuff as much as the tried and true, this book was great. It really seemed more like an indie book than a Marvel when it first came out. Little did we know that this would turn out to be a major part of the direction Marvel/Netflix TV would end up taking.

This a very grim book so if you're looking for a lighthearted yarn about a former hero, look elsewhere. The title character is...well, I'll save it for you to read but it isn't pretty. It is however a haunting story and a Bendis best....