• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 6

107 posts in this topic

ugh, 6.0 and 4.5...i'm grading way too low...I need to start thinking more like CGC

Yep. But that Chamber looked horrible to me, the numerous bottom tears, the crease through the whole book, stains, spine, ugh.

I look through Ebay graded books from that same era to get a better gauge on what similar-looking books grade with similar defects, and never say any 6.0s with torn edges and full-book creases like on that Chamber book.

Like you said, it's hard to think like CGC when you don't even know what CGC is thinking with a book in as bad of shape as that Chamber.

Hi 3rd.

Would you say that things are changing at CGC - where overall they're really easing up on defects like a tape pull of this magnitude, or do you think it's just an anomaly?

Thanks!

I think they are looser, yes. I would have figured a tape pull like this would drop the grade by a full 1.0 point.

We can look at that spidey from last round and scratch our heads about why that was a 5.0. probably an anomoly there. The Krazy, probably not an anomoly.

Again, with grading, you really need to have he book in hand. The details are there. The flaws become apparent, the tightness and bounce of a book, cannot be gauged from a scan. That's why these contests will never be perfect. But we can still try to have some fun along the way. 2c

And for the Krazy Komics, I worked backwards - I figured that large of a tape-pull had to drop the grade at least 1.5 to 2 grades so that means that without the tape-pull that book (with all the spine ticks and wear it has) would have been a 9.0 or 9.4 without the tape-pull!??? No way.

I figured it was an 8.0 without the tape-pull, then dropped it 2 grades for the large tape-pull.

Oh it's fun, CGC just blows my mind sometimes. lol I mean I buy lots of 7.5's because that's what I can afford and I don't have any that look like that and with that big of a tape pull it just blows my mind. But :takeit:

Did some research and figured the tape pull would take 2 grades off the book, so I went in at 6.0. More the fool is me. Personally, I'd go lower.

I gave the Chamber a 4.5. Can anyone tell me what those two black marks on the spine in the middle of the back cover are?

I don't understand how some of you guys buy CGC'ed books without pictures when this is what you might end up with.

Did some research and figured the tape pull would take 2 grades off the book, so I went in at 6.0. More the fool is me. Personally, I'd go lower.

I gave the Chamber a 4.5. Can anyone tell me what those two black marks on the spine in the middle of the back cover are?

I don't understand how some of you guys buy CGC'ed books without pictures when this is what you might end up with.

To me it looks like a full length horizontal crease across the back cover (the book was folded in half) and the soiling/stain is mirror-imaged across the crease at the spine.

I

Wow, I slaughtered these books and hence got slaughtered myself.

I gave the Krazy a 5.0. Not only did I kill it for the tape pull I thought the spine splits would have hit it hard too.

Went 4.5 on the Chamber. Too many tears. I thought maybe a 5.0 but certainly not a 5.5. Wow was I off.

Yep.

I think I got a net score of 0 on this round. So how I end up in the rankings after this round mostly depends on how good/bad everyone else did. :D

(Hell, I could have sat this round out and still got the same score... woulda saved me a lot of aggravation!) :grin:

Hi 3rd.

Would you say that things are changing at CGC - where overall they're really easing up on defects like a tape pull of this magnitude, or do you think it's just an anomaly?

Thanks!

I think they are looser, yes. I would have figured a tape pull like this would drop the grade by a full 1.0 point.

We can look at that spidey from last round and scratch our heads about why that was a 5.0. probably an anomoly there. The Krazy, probably not an anomoly.

Again, with grading, you really need to have he book in hand. The details are there. The flaws become apparent, the tightness and bounce of a book, cannot be gauged from a scan. That's why these contests will never be perfect. But we can still try to have some fun along the way. 2c

Thanks for the enlightenment, 3rd!

Having much fun :)

IMO you guys/gals are forgetting comparitive books within the contest itself...Round 3 book The Unseen black cover graded 5.5 which most of us thought was a pretty ridiculous overgrade. Chills book was similar...dark but not as much black cover but still a nicer presenting book...thus at least a 6.0 or 6.5...that's about as scientific as I go... (shrug)