• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where y'all getting your masonite ?

17 posts in this topic

I am looking for a place I can pick up some Masonite boards where I don't have to grab my ankles from the shipping cost.

I have tried Michales here locally and every place online you either pay over $10 a board, or pay the board cost then atleast a equal amount or more in shipping.

I go to Home Depot or other home improvement store. Buy a big board and have them cut it down to multiple usable pieces.

That's exactly what I do as well. A sheet costs me around $7.00 and I get four pieces (at slightly larger than comic art page size) cut out of each one.

I go to Home Depot or other home improvement store. Buy a big board and have them cut it down to multiple usable pieces.

Bingo....

1/8" hardboard (that's what they call it) Sells in 4'x8' sheets for $6 plus tax.

4'X8' board cuts down once laterally, making two 2'x8' boards, then cut vertically every 16", gives you 12 boards, each an identical 16"x24" size (perfect for modern artwork with enough room to spare for safety 3"+/- on all sides of the artwork) from a single sheet.

So you can make 6 artwork sandwiches from each sheet for about $1.10 per sandwich.

1/8" is perfect...it makes a 1/4" (roughly) sandwich, flexible enough to not snap in shipment, and rigid enough to give full protection. It's also light enough to not be shipping cost prohibitive.

...also if you buy comic art from dealers online, and they mail you your art in masonite, if you have room to store it, even if you don't plan on being a reseller per se, it's good to have in case you do a rare sale, a trade, or send out the gift of artwork.

The stuff is expensive and heavy, so at times you can get away with a single layer of masonite as opposed to the sandwich, so long as you have adequate layers of oversized and thick cardboard to protect the art, which at times is better than just masonite, because it adds padding and cushion to the parcel instead of a simply rigid surface that might crack or snap on impact as well.

...also if you buy comic art from dealers online, and they mail you your art in masonite, if you have room to store it, even if you don't plan on being a reseller per se, it's good to have in case you do a rare sale, a trade, or send out the gift of artwork.

The stuff is expensive and heavy, so at times you can get away with a single layer of masonite as opposed to the sandwich, so long as you have adequate layers of oversized and thick cardboard to protect the art, which at times is better than just masonite, because it adds padding and cushion to the parcel instead of a simply rigid surface that might crack or snap on impact as well.

I save any good packaging materials as well. I receive packages much more than I send so I have a nice reserve established.

You think masonite is expensive? If the breakdown Chris provides above is accurate, I think a buck per sandwich is super cheap, especially considering the price of some art that is mailed around. Maybe an inconvenicence, sure ... but expensive?

Bingo....

1/8" hardboard (that's what they call it) Sells in 4'x8' sheets for $6 plus tax.

4'X8' board cuts down once laterally, making two 2'x8' boards, then cut vertically every 16", gives you 12 boards, each an identical 16"x24" size (perfect for modern artwork with enough room to spare for safety 3"+/- on all sides of the artwork) from a single sheet.

So you can make 6 artwork sandwiches from each sheet for about $1.10 per sandwich.

1/8" is perfect...it makes a 1/4" (roughly) sandwich, flexible enough to not snap in shipment, and rigid enough to give full protection. It's also light enough to not be shipping cost prohibitive.

This is exactly what I do for comic art.

When I need to ship other, larger forms of art, I have Home Depot make a couple big cuts (leaving oversized pieces) so I can get the masonite home and then modify as needed with this little guy:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Fuego-Reconditioned-6-Amp-Corded-Thru-Cool-1-Handed-Reciprocating-Saw-ZRR3031/206384326?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-PowerTools|&gclid=CMmMhYvmw84CFUEmhgodK4ML3w&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's like a hot knife through butter. Perfect for custom packaging. I take no responsibility if you chop your fingers off in the process.

You think masonite is expensive?

It's a lot more expensive to ship, adding postage weight and the COG's do increase overhead, to it's an expense more than expensive maybe, depending on a person's frames of reference which provides for each individual's context for understanding.

You think masonite is expensive?

It's a lot more expensive to ship, adding postage weight and the COG's do increase overhead, to it's an expense more than expensive maybe, depending on a person's frames of reference which provides for each individual's context for understanding.

Not too much more when you consider how dimensional weight takes over after a certain size.

A fully cardboard (flattened priority boxes) piece of art shipped from Chicago to California (for reference) at a weight less than 2 pounds (most of mine came in at 1lb 12-14oz's when I shipped that way)....is about $11.10 without insurance.

Using 2 sheets of 1/8" masonite brings it in between 3lbs and 3.75lbs and a cost of $14.

So we're not talking a 50-100% more, and for the protection it provides it may just stop something irreplaceable from getting wrecked permanently.

Bingo....

This is really useful information, thank you!