• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UK based grading company. This should be fun

72 posts in this topic

Does Darryll come to the London show in the spring?

I've never seen him.

Silveracre used to do the marts all the time - London, Leeds etc but stopped some years back

I assume they stopped as unlikely to be very profitable

Does Darryll come to the London show in the spring?

I've never seen him.

Silveracre used to do the marts all the time - London, Leeds etc but stopped some years back

I assume they stopped as unlikely to be very profitable

Ah, I haven't attended a northern (Golden Orbit ) comic mart since 2006, and so I'm out of touch. Thanks.

Has it really been 10 years? :o

I've said it before, CGC should open a branch in the UK - it's a huge mostly untapped part of the market -

if they don't consider UK grading to be a logistical possibility, I'd be happy to take submissions in for them and bulk freight them to Florida. They can pay me in submissions for my own books.

After all, Darryl's pricing there is no cheaper than CGC's, it simply cuts down on the international shipping costs.

there should certainly be any easier way of doing business with CGC from the UK

all the form printing off and fannying around with shipping puts me off

Darryl's case's look pretty good (other than the vile orange label) wonder how he got the machinery, plastics etc - there was a relationship with Vault in Australia previously?

I also wish CGC would grade English comics like 2000AD - really needs a UK branch... based in Hertfordshire ;)

Now if you have some sort of link to that info - very interesting. I would have thought that Halo would have been the one-man-band to join with the Silveracre one-man-band.

Halo slabs are pretty much ignored, and it is operated from a comic shop in Queensland - a likely place to buyout old stock (slabs encapsulation equipment etc) - I thought Vault were in the USA, not Australia?

There was a thread on Halo earlier this year (sorry wasn't obvious how to link it in)

To quote myself -

See OS 45 pg 97 for a market report from Halo. You should all be reassured that they are affiliated with Silveracre in the UK (who are described as "prompt and trustworthy")

Your theory maybe correct!

I think we are both correct.

Halo + Silveracre.

People will draw their own conclusions.

:o

Only halo book i ever bought was a 4.0 showcase 4 that was immediately obviously restored (and beyond slighty too). visible without even cracking the darn thing. Returned it so fast, barry allen would have broken a sweat trying to catch the dam thing.

And the conflicts exist all over the hobby, but I still think this is worse, because there isn't an accountability mechanism even among the people who work there (versus a larger house like cgc, voldy)

joey

While visiting the London Comic con one could see the succes of CGC being there. The CGC booth was very busy.

But postage is getting crazy and that's what killng it for me. Getting CGC books from the states is crazy with postage prices like $35 to get one book. Sometimes even more (Seen $60 and even higher). On top of that you also have the legal govenment tax and import theft. In Belgium that is 21% and extra import tax. A raw $3.99 book quickly turns into a graded $100 book.

Imagine a good grading company would set foot in the UK. No more high postage cost, no more import tax! I would finally get my own account! (And with that UK £ just crashed after the whole Brexit vote it is even more intresting)

This company however will not get my books. At least not for now. The website alone is full with errors (terrible loading on tablets) and that should be there business card to attract costumers.

Come on CGC open an office in the UK!!!

This company however will not get my books. At least not for now.

I'm surprised you are even considering it!!

You may as well play russian roulette with your books, but with 5 bullets in the chamber, not one.

This company however will not get my books. At least not for now.

I'm surprised you are even considering it!!

You may as well play russian roulette with your books, but with 5 bullets in the chamber, not one.

Not considering at all. Just trying to be a nice guy saying no to their service in a nice way!

Excessive Profit Breeds Excessive Competition.

Except, this isn't competition, it's the new PGX!

Double-Facepalm-Meme-16.jpg

Jerome

I really doubt CGC is making "excessive profits." Running the business and doing the work just costs more than most of us assume it does. Employees, rent, materials, insurance, going to a billion shows a year.. they all cost money. I know $5 modern/CA/BA slabs would be nice, but I doubt they can get them done properly at that price.

Only halo book i ever bought was a 4.0 showcase 4 that was immediately obviously restored (and beyond slighty too). visible without even cracking the darn thing. Returned it so fast, barry allen would have broken a sweat trying to catch the dam thing.

And the conflicts exist all over the hobby, but I still think this is worse, because there isn't an accountability mechanism even among the people who work there (versus a larger house like cgc, voldy)

joey

Agreed, having seen a couple of Halo slabs in hand, the case is quite nice, but the grading was very poor, and clearly way over the odds.

It certainly would make sense to shift all their equipment and stock to Silveracre and 'amalgamate'.

I would not touch either with a bargepole.

I know this thread was a while ago now, but having spoken with Matt the OP last week, I thought it might be interesting to 're-read' this. Has anyone seen any of these EGC slabs in the flesh yet ? I can't say that I've seen any offered for sale other than by Darryl himself anywhere.

And on a greater point, I am informed that CGC' s main competition now has a 'drop-off' point in the UK. Surely it's about time CGC did something similar ?

Postage costs are so high for us over here (and so risky - I've had one package used for a super bowl kick off, I believe), that this is a decent untapped part of the market being missed out on here by CGC.

When I saw those EGC slabs online I got the feeling that the books had been cracked out of CGC slabs and simply re-encapsulated with an EGC label at the same grade (shrug)

Found on Facebook. Not sure how anyone can look at this and think this is ok. Book massively off center, signature "authenticated", looks like label was printed in someone's garage.... it does appear that Europe has its own PGX:roflmao:

Screenshot_20200518-180506~2.png