• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The X-23 Thread
2 2

321 posts in this topic

Would be very cool if the girl cast as X-23 sticks as the character ages.

It would be cool but it may not matter if she is the only one that sticks around. If Hugh Jackman is done soon, I bet they would just recast everybody.

Maybe they will just jump ahead in time and give her a movie as the replacement Wolverine.

Here's a fun crystal ball question... what fraction of IH 181 prices does NYX #3 reach in 15-20 years?

I have no skin in this game, I don't own a copy or very closely follow the character, so I'll just speculate based on general knowledge.

As we all know, most comic books are relatively worthless, even books containing first appearances don't generally make the cut and move forward through time as a sought out collectible. So right out of the gate, you'd need this book to be one of a select few to clear this 'first tier' via... whatever magic makes it happen. I wish I knew.

Some would argue NYX #3 is already past that initial barrier - its currently considered a key, the character has a bit of a following, but to the best of my knowledge, Laura hasn't proven she can keep an ongoing title in publication (bonus points if she can do it with the title of the book being a unique title identifiable with just her) for any amount of time, so that's another big barrier. Some characters make it here via becoming popular on a team book, so that's an alternate way of moving forward. Most character's forward momentum dies, or at least stalls, here.

Past that ongoing title tier, a character can reach a point where they're cemented into the overall comic universe at large. They show up in crossovers / team ups, events, and even begin to creep into advertisements. The publisher may begin to try to position the character more and more to see how far it can go. Maybe they even try to tempt top talent over in an attempt to further develop the character in a certain direction - in other words, editorial becomes more involved.

Next we have a character that is considered an integral part of the comic universe. They're a load-bearing pillar, their presence can shore up an otherwise weak book or event and ensure eyeballs on the page, or at the very least, garner some amount of interest in any happenings they're a part of. The character is not yet iconic, they might not be household names, but the comic community definitely knows who they are. Along with their greater influence, perhaps their stories become a little less dynamic, perhaps earlier fans begin to be turned off, while the mass market gains more interest. The comic reading public has a very good idea of who this character is, and you're likely rarely to be surprised or disavowed of that notion... unless editorial managed to convince that top-tier talent to come over and redesign the character in a big bad way that resonates with fans or with the times.

Finally, after this, you hit intellectual property gold. Spider-man, Batman, Superman... is Wolverine here? I'm not sure. But if not here, then certainly the previous category.

If we take an optimistic view, Laura is still working on carrying an ongoing - that dangerous spot where most character's popularity forever stalls or even dies. Some work in that nebulous area for years or even decades before eventually breaking through, but it's still a small number. It's hard to carry a book and keep an ongoing ... going... for a good long time. Some iconic characters can't even manage it.

So... that ended up being way more long winded than I thought it would, and I'm not sure anyone cares about my thought process on this, so my apologies for the wall of text, but I wanted to explain this as, previously on these boards, I've been known to say there is no real reason for this book to go for the prices that it currently goes at. I still feel this way, but I also understand, at least the perceived reasons, why it does.

People feel there's a lot of upside to Laura's character. Outside of her obvious association with Wolverine, and any resonance fans may have with her story, we all know that there are more and more women reading, making, and driving the creation of comics with every passing day. People therefore naturally assume that this fact will logically translate into more iconic female characters. This is not the shakiest logic foundation I've ever seen for speculation - far from it. Still... as I outlined, I have to think that chances are, this character also falls by the wayside. The mountain is too big to climb, so statistically, I wouldn't be surprised if Laura is already close to her own peak... and of course, I could be 100% totally wrong :shrug:

This is the longest winded possible way for me to give my answer to the original question: single digit percentages, ~ 5%

Great answer. Well thought out and full of substantive reasoning. Growing up reading Wolverine when he was new, it's really difficult to even have these 2 characters in the same discussion. While she has some cool characteristics, Wolverine epitomized cool in the '70s, '80s, and '90s. He was everything we wanted in a hero and them some. (thumbs u

Great answer. Well thought out and full of substantive reasoning. Growing up reading Wolverine when he was new, it's really difficult to even have these 2 characters in the same discussion. While she has some cool characteristics, Wolverine epitomized cool in the '70s, '80s, and '90s. He was everything we wanted in a hero and them some. (thumbs u

Sad Marvel had to mess him up and then kill him off.

What's a X-23? (shrug)

(point being even most non comic bookies know who Wolverine is. Even my wife, because it's Hugh Jackman right? I think she is a fad. Like RiRi, or the Totally Lame Hulk).

Call me in 40 years.

Hey man, she started in a test tube, stop hatin :sumo:

What's a X-23? (shrug)

(point being even most non comic bookies know who Wolverine is. Even my wife, because it's Hugh Jackman right? I think she is a fad. Like RiRi, or the Totally Lame Hulk).

Call me in 40 years.

Obvious difference being, 12+ years since her debut she is doing better than ever... ;)

What's a X-23? (shrug)

Call me in 40 years.

Obvious difference being, 12+ years since her debut she is doing better than ever... ;)

To be fair NYX 3 was a 50-75 dollar high grade raw book before movie news hit and then they made her into the "new" wolverine inside his old costume. That push has sent the book into several hundred dollar range. Will it last who knows but I tend to be skeptical when a book shoots up that fast on a movie appearance that may or may not lead to seeing her again. 2c