• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree trying to sell art now?
3 3

229 posts in this topic

any more egregious errors/omissions like last time?

I see less interesting stuff this auction

There's an interesting one that I'm wondering if people have read carefully. The Trimbe IH 162 page is currently up to $2325 with the reserve not met. Yet this is not the published piece. They admit in the description that the last 6 pages were "lost" after inking and Trimbe had to ink over a copy of his pencils for publication. So the published piece is copy of Trimbe pencils with Trimbe inks over it. This is the original Trimbe pencils and Trapini inks, but it is not the piece used for publication.

I agree it would be more honest to have UNPUBLISHED in the title but at least it's in the description.

is this a cool lines 3-4x FMV for $2375 for an unpublished Trimpe page or is that anywhere near reasonable?

"1972 all-out battle page from the historic VERY FIRST WENDIGO STORY, which was penciled by the late great Herb Trimpe, and inked by the great Sal Trapani, from the story titled: "Wendigo -- The Thing that Walks Like a Man!" This nice page features ALL OUT Battle with The Incredible Hulk battling the Wendigo throughout! The last 6 pages to this great story were LOST after they were inked by Sal Trapani in 1972, so Herb Trimpe had to ink over a copy of his original pencils for publication. This page right here is from those lost pages, which were purchased from the Sal Trapani estate in 2014. These pages are virtually identical to the published Hulk 162 comic book AND this is the only page 20 that was penciled by Herb Trimpe and inked by Sal Trapani to the incredibly HISTORIC 1972 FIRST WENDIGO APPEARANCE ISSUE!"

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction/comic_art/056985/the-incredible-hulk-162-page-20-lost-page-1st-wendigo

I mean it's kinda reasonable. For the last year or so Trimpe (I have no idea why my phone made it Timbe in the above post :shrug: ) Incredible Hulk panel pages have been going for 2-3 thousand. So if this was the published page I'd say it's about right (maybe it deserves a bit of a premium since it's signed and is from a minor key issue for Incredible Hulk) But realistically this is just a highly polished rough, since it's not the artwork that was published. So how do we discount it?

It is my understanding that Pedigree is very experienced in auctioning comic books, so I think they have the potential to become a viable source of art. But I am disappointed to see this auction play out so similarly to the last one. I'm hoping that Randy & Doug read this thread & address these issues internally.

Personally, I don't want to see an auction with marked up dealer inventory. I'd rather have a 30 lot auction filled with real items without reserves. If you want to make it more of an event thing, keep some of the marquee pieces (like the FF #23 splash) at crazy prices. But there shouldn't be more than a handful of lots like that per auction. Not if you want me to take you seriously, either as a seller or a buyer.

Believe it or not, I will be following some lots tonight. Not bidding, but following. The Allred Bats 66 cover is a nice example & currently it's at a buyable price. And that DD #1 page is pretty expensive at 90k, but I wouldn't be stunned if someone wins it. It's a real piece of comic history.

It is my understanding that Pedigree is very experienced in auctioning comic books, so I think they have the potential to become a viable source of art. But I am disappointed to see this auction play out so similarly to the last one. I'm hoping that Randy & Doug read this thread & address these issues internally.

Personally, I don't want to see an auction with marked up dealer inventory. I'd rather have a 30 lot auction filled with real items without reserves. If you want to make it more of an event thing, keep some of the marquee pieces (like the FF #23 splash) at crazy prices. But there shouldn't be more than a handful of lots like that per auction. Not if you want me to take you seriously, either as a seller or a buyer.

Believe it or not, I will be following some lots tonight. Not bidding, but following. The Allred Bats 66 cover is a nice example & currently it's at a buyable price. And that DD #1 page is pretty expensive at 90k, but I wouldn't be stunned if someone wins it. It's a real piece of comic history.

I would be stunned if someone won the DD#1. You're paying for 1 panel. Other than that you are just getting a bunch of gangsters sitting around playing poker. I'm not a massive Daredevil fan, but I don't believe that panel/page is considered a classic, it just so happens to be the first panel that the Daredevil appears on. $60-70,000 would be MAYBE what I think it should have gone for. The fact that it's at 90,000 and reserve not met tells me it should not sell.

I do enjoy another mess up by Pedigree (can they get anything right?). "Daredevil is considered the first Silver Age solo hero to debut in his own book with issue #1...further increasing the importance and desirability of this art!"

Apparently Randy has never heard of The Incredible Hulk, who was a solo hero, that debuted in his own book, with an issue #1.... in 1962!

I agree; it's probably one of the top three in the series. It's a nice cover reinterpretation with a nice twist to it. If I had the money for it I would've done cartwheels knowing that it's on Pedigree and no one wants to bid on principle. For anyone who has the money, it's there for the taking. But alas, I don't have that kind of cash to spend :sorry:

Randy came to me at SDCC last summer to tell me about Pedigree's entry into the OA auction scene. And, of course, to solicit consignments.

He seemed like a nice enough fellow, but for me, the pitch was less than compelling. For one thing, he listed the consignors he had already lined up. Hearing those names, how this has played out is what I predicted. And here we are.

I let him know that day that I would not be consigning anything with Pedigree. Setting aside any past issues with Doug/Pedigree, you lose me when you tell me all the reasons why I should use Pedigree instead of HA. Yet, when it had come time for Doug to sell...he used HA.

Overall, the hobby is just better informed these days. These boards play a big part in that. Keep it up!

I saw that page offered on eBay a year ago, and the guys was asking for $ million for it. he probably assumes it will get Hulk 180 last splash page money.

I do think that it should do better than $100,000, though. That price doesn't shock me. It's the first fricking appearance of Daredvil, fer chissakes.

I would be stunned if someone won the DD#1. You're paying for 1 panel. Other than that you are just getting a bunch of gangsters sitting around playing poker. I'm not a massive Daredevil fan, but I don't believe that panel/page is considered a classic, it just so happens to be the first panel that the Daredevil appears on. $60-70,000 would be MAYBE what I think it should have gone for. The fact that it's at 90,000 and reserve not met tells me it should not sell.

I do enjoy another mess up by Pedigree (can they get anything right?). "Daredevil is considered the first Silver Age solo hero to debut in his own book with issue #1...further increasing the importance and desirability of this art!"

Apparently Randy has never heard of The Incredible Hulk, who was a solo hero, that debuted in his own book, with an issue #1.... in 1962!

I saw that page offered on eBay a year ago, and the guys was asking for $ million for it. he probably assumes it will get Hulk 180 last splash page money.

I do think that it should do better than $100,000, though. That price doesn't shock me. It's the first fricking appearance of Daredvil, fer chissakes.

Sure... it's the first appearance if you don't count Kirby's cover or the stet used for the first page made using Kirby's cover. So... it's Bill Everett's first Daredevil I guess?

Sure... it's the first appearance if you don't count Kirby's cover or the stet used for the first page made using Kirby's cover. So... it's Bill Everett's first Daredevil I guess?

The argument is that it's the first one - still in existence. Don't know if that's true, but if it is, then it's definitely the first appearance of Daredevil, still in existence.

But, I see what you mean.

I figured you guys would appreciate this. I ran a scrapper on their auctions (and will continue to do so as long as they are running art auctions). Here's what I found.

There are 285 art pieces up for auction.

Only 46 pieces have met their reserve (or have a bid and had no reserve)

63 pieces do not have a bid on them

176 pieces have not met their reserve.

If the auction ends as it is now, they will have brought in $14,932 on 46 pieces an average of $324.61 per piece. Given their sliding scale, they will have gotten 10% on all but 1 piece (which is at 4400) so their total commission for this sale would be $1405.20

The total value of all pieces that have not met their reserve is $686,522 (as of now).

Looking forward to see what the final numbers/sales are. Anyone wanna guess if the over/under of pieces sold cracks 100?

Time for the final update:

45 Pieces had no bid

139 Pieces did not meet their reserve

101 Pieces sold

Total sales for this auction were $70,533. The average sale price was $698.35

Pedigree's commission from this auction should have been $6,470.16, based on their posted commissions.

I noticed a few Bruce Timm sketches hitting and surpassing the high reserves. An Emma Frost piece went double what I won one on Clink last month.

Which is curious, because I seem to recall many of the Timm pieces not selling in the last Pedigree auction. Maybe Pedigree found a new group of Timm fans that decided to enter the OA market starting with this auction. Seems the most logical reason for a high being set in an auction with only a 1/3 sell thru rate. hm

Well, whoever was the person who bid on and didn't win the Power Man and Iron Fist page, can always go to my eBay auction listings. I have several pages from roughly the same time period and artist, only without any stupid reserve and at prices far less than they would have paid for that one. I can guarantee it'll be a very smooth and professional transaction.

Just sayin'.... :cool:

Did the DD #1 page sell - didn't see it when I paged through?

I feel it is a cardinal sin to set reserves above market price - there are pages here that did not meet reserve with bids above market....very discouraging to bidders.

No, horde of Timm fans. That was just me, bought both the pieces especially since I missed the previous Timm pieces from Clink. Collecting Timm female superheroes to decorate a wall.

Bought in haste as I did not notice their policy on reserve. Have been told by many OA collectors fans that I way way overpaid. Anyway, if anyone has Timm female superheroes, hit me up but with much lower prices please.

Have a great day.

I'm really not sure what their strategy is for moving into OA. I would say the ordering of "street cred" for OA auctions is:

Heritage

CLINK

ComicConnect

Pedigree

Heritage gets amazing material and seems to work pretty hard to make sure it has great images as well as accurate descriptions

CLINK and ComicConnect are similar but I think CLINK gets better material overall but ComicConnect is catching up but still a ways to go. Both have the bulk (ComicConnect maybe all) of their material at no reserve.

For pedigree, not sure if they have someone who is willing to use their stuff as window dressing but not really interested in selling so they use it to get people to at least look at their offerings hoping to build both buyers and sellers.

My question is how much is Randy being paid and how are they justifying his salary?Based on the commissions I calculated from this auction, Pedigree stands to make about $25,000 on art sales for the year. Does that really offset his salary + travel+ cost of running the site etc.

No, horde of Timm fans. That was just me, bought both the pieces especially since I missed the previous Timm pieces from Clink. Collecting Timm female superheroes to decorate a wall.

Bought in haste as I did not notice their policy on reserve. Have been told by many OA collectors fans that I way way overpaid. Anyway, if anyone has Timm female superheroes, hit me up but with much lower prices please.

Have a great day.

You paid strong. The reserves were really set high. The Phoenix is nice and I would have like to own it. I say you've learned from your purchases and the best thing you can do now is keep buying Timm and at low prices do you can cost average them down. This way when you go to sell it won't hurt as much. Or keep and enjoy them. Timm is great. Congrats.