• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Want My Howard The Duck Signed by Val Mayerik

11 posts in this topic

Hi there! I recently acquired #12 and #13 of Howard the Duck, both of which I've been told are rare/valuable issues, seeing some at cons for 80 apiece ungraded and in worse condition then mine. Mine have not been professionally graded yet but both appear to be in extremely good condition to the normal viewing eye. I would like to get them signed by the last living Co-creator, Val Mayerik and was directed by CGC to ask in the forums about getting them signed and graded with the signature series. Any help would be appreciated as I know very little about this process and would like these to be signature series books for my collection. Thank you :)

You need to find a convention that Val Mayerik is attending, and also one that has coverage from either CGC itself (if you can attend) or an authorized facilitator (if you need to mail to someone to get it done for you). Wizard World Austin may be a possibility, but I could not find anyone that was facilitating that show.

A little bit of legwork will go a long way.

what are the odds that this person will be ultimately disappointed by the achievable values of his comics?

10:1 ?

25:1 ?

100:1 ?

no limit (make'em say ugghhhhh) ?

what are the odds that this person will be ultimately disappointed by the achievable values of his comics?

10:1 ?

25:1 ?

100:1 ?

no limit (make'em say ugghhhhh) ?

I do not consider Mayerik to be a desirable signature on that book. I have Gene Colan on mine. He actually worked on it. That in and of itself will affect the value of the book. But the heart wants what the heart wants . . .

I got to meet Mayerik at Comicpalooza last year and he was great! Hung out at his booth for a while watching him sketch and talking to him about life. I didn't have any books to get signed so I got a Howard the Duck sketch instead (with a mini Man-Thing in the background)

I say get signed whatever you want. At least he's a co-creator of the character. That's more relevant than the thousands of books Stan Lee signs for books/characters he had nothing to do with.

I say get signed whatever you want. At least he's a co-creator of the character. That's more relevant than the thousands of books Stan Lee signs for books/characters he had nothing to do with.

I agree with this. But if he is concerned about resale at all, I do not think it will be helped by a Mayerik sig.

I agree with this. But if he is concerned about resale at all, I do not think it will be helped by a Mayerik sig.

Well there's more than one way to look at it. If he thinks each comic currently worth more the $80 he's seen at cons, then after grading out to 9.4 CGC SS, it'll probably be worth $35, which is a perceived loss of $45* per comic.

But in reality, its probably only worth $15 now, so with a real value CGC SS 9.4 for $25, it'll be a real gain of $25* per comic.

*Of course we're neglecting CGC SS fees, which for some reason most people do when making their calculations. So that's about $35 in costs per book. In summary, the real loss is much less than the perceived loss. So I say DO IT. Maybe get some Stan Lee on that bad boy too since we're living in fantasy world where everything is worth way more than we paid for them and sigs add a ton more value regardless of grade and the cost of grading.

The process is pretty simple.

1. Find a show that Mr. Mayerik will be at.

2. Confirm that CGC will be there and they will have signature witnesses.

3. Go to the CGC booth, pay and do the paperwork.

4. You'll walk over to the booth / area where the artist is at and have him/her sign the comic -- a CGC witness has to be present.

5. CGC person processes the order and then you get to wait.....and wait.....and wait.

Would suggest you have your books pressed as a part of the service. Its a little extra but cheap relative to the other expense.

Just a question -- why are you having him sign #12 and #13? He didn't do the art for those books. If you are looking for a bump in value, that will be incremental. IMHO.