• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Four Color Dells
4 4

516 posts in this topic

So, here's one of the 3 Animal Comics without Kelly art- and one of the nicest GA books I own:

Animal_04_zpsee37c216.jpg

Mmmmmm. Love me some Walt Kelly too though!

10-06-201245036PM.jpg

:)

OK, we've clearly decided we're all going to go ahead and post Kelly books here despite having the other thread. I'm good with that, as I'm a crazy huge Kelly fan.

So, what order would the other Kelly fans prioritize the first issues Kelly did for Dell? (Skipping the Four Color issues for this thread, of course.)

I'm also not even counting the Pogo Parade Giant, since that's all reprints.

Raggedy Ann and Andy is easily the low book on the list, for me. Still nice. And it gets trickier fast.

Raggedy_Anne_and_Andy_01_zpsbsffo2hk.jpg

Our Gang would be next. I know, I really need to upgrade even by my standards, but I got a lot of 1-5 for $40, and it will do until the right copy of OG 1 shows.

OG_01_zpsff519960.jpg

The first issue of Pogo's own title comes next. (I would rank the Albert & Pogo Four Color higher, but this is the wrong thread for it:)

Pogo_01_zpsdmod596d.jpg

The amazing, all-Kelly Fairy Tale Parade is next to the top of the list:

FTP_1.jpg

But the top spot has to go to Pogo Possum's first appearance anywhere:

Animal_01_zpspjhd3t3q.jpg

Are there any other Kelly first issues for Dell (not counting Four Colors or just covers) I'm missing on the list? Adventures of Peter Wheat wouldn't count, since it was produced for Western but not actually for Dell. And anybody want to argue the order?

Here's an interesting Dell fact I didn't know - apparently they had copies of foreign comics produced under licence sent to Racine for filing. This eBay seller has some of them listed now.

And here's another NFC Dell. I can't recall buying it, so I must have got it in a lot with something else.

Smilin-Jack_4_zpsdh36qp1n.jpg

OK, we've clearly decided we're all going to go ahead and post Kelly books here despite having the other thread.

Nonetheless I'm still going to refrain from posting any Disney/Duck or Looney Tunes comics in this thread because they have threads of their own.

I just have the one Walt Kelly Pogo comic anyway. I see the last post in the Walt Kelly thread was on 22 May 2016:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9361755&fpart=1

:)

Edited by Hepcat

So where's the general Looney Tunes thread?

???

Hopefully this one isn't it because it's not very well titled:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9572701&fpart=1

(shrug)

That's the one. Started for one purpose but morphed into a more general use. Kind of like the rarest romance comics thread -- now it's an all-purpose romance comics thread.

So where's the general Looney Tunes thread?

???

Hopefully this one isn't it because it's not very well titled:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9572701&fpart=1

(shrug)

That's the one. Started for one purpose but morphed into a more general use. Kind of like the rarest romance comics thread -- now it's an all-purpose romance comics thread.

(thumbs u well put. And both threads have morphed into beautiful all purpose threads I might add.